Would Anyone Here Wait?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cbdheartman

Also, given what I've described in recent weeks (4.9 cm aortic root on CT, 5.0-5.2 cm on cardiac MRI, 31 year old 6'4'' inch little aoritc reguritation, no stenosis, asymptomatic), would any of you wait for surgery? Would you go 6 months at least to see if your aneurysm were stable? (Are there any data showing that stable aneurysms are less likely to rupture?)

What's a stable aneurysm? One that hasn't burst YET? So if my pantyhose don't have a run for several wearings, does that make them stable pantyhose? No, that makes them dangerous pantyhose because every wearing with the stretching, moving, and other potential hazards (corners of tables, dog or cat claws, etc.) makes them a little weaker. To me, I'd rather have the surgery sooner and have peace of mind for that much longer.

Well you have two choices. Wait and see if you die or have surgery and live. It's that simple.

Honestly, if you had to go through what I, Rob, Gail, and Gustaf have, this wouldn't be a decisional dilemma for you.

Why are we still discussing this? If it you by yourself that is one thing, but if you have a wife & kids to support than do it now. Do not leave them in the lurch. If you decide to wait then please get more life insurance so that I do not have to help support anybody else s family.

Why are we still discussing this? If it you by yourself that is one thing, but if you have a wife & kids to support than do it now. Do not leave them in the lurch. If you decide to wait then please get more life insurance so that I do not have to help support anybody else s family.

Unfortunately additional life insurance isn't an option, no one will take you on.

You are an intelligent man, at least I assume that in the US lawyers have to be intelligent, so which bit of all the advice given by 'people who have been there' don't you understand? As I have said, I have already lost two friends due to them 'waiting', please don't join the 'too late' statistics.

So to answer your question, no I wouldn't wait, I would be wanting it 'yesterday'.

Folks,

I am 99% there, I just continually am surprised at cardiologists and surgeons who say wait. I don't have a sense of peace about waiting, but have mostly a sense of peace about going forward with it. I've scheduled a surgery for July 30 and if I like the Hopkins guy may try to get in there earlier. I am the sort of guy who is willing to test my judgment and see if I am missing something.

Even if one says, hey look cbdheartman you are a tall guy so you should have bigger plumbing, that doesn't change these facts:

a) I have an aneurysm
b) It needs to be dealt with.
c) the only way this is going to be resolved is: 1) it dissecting or rupturing and me being saved by emergency surgery with all the likely complications going forward in life; 2) it growing to the magic number and getting the surgery; 3) dying of something else; 4) a miracle and my BAV and aneurysm go away; 5) having the surgery now.

The logic points to C.5. I think. I guess on someone's charts the risk of dissection/rupture might be less than the risk of surgery now, but doesn't that discount the risk of what happens if you dissect or rupture? So let's say I have a 1-2% of dying from the surgery and a <1% of dissecting or rupturing right now (I am not even sure that is an accurate number, but that it is what Svensson though). Still if I dissect or rupture my chance of dying is pretty. With dissection it is 25% according to one article I read.

Again, it seems like barring any of the other things happening under C, I am going to have to take the risk of surgery. In other words, surgery is a known and certain risk. Do I want to add the risk of years of my aneurysm possibly dissecting on top of that?

So that's why I posted the question. My logic follows what most are saying here, but I really want to test my logic, am I missing something? I don't see that I am missing anything.

The one thing I do have is a fear of death and so electing surgery makes me fearful, but that fear is also there -- and will be there constantly -- with the risk of something happening with the aneurysm.

Does any of that make sense?

My anuerysm was 'stable' for many years at 4.4cm, but between September and March '09 it grew to 6cm - Don't wait. Find a good surgeon and have the procedure done. I can highly recommend Dr. Joseph Coselling at St. Lukes in Houston. He preformed my surgery March 31, and I'm back at work today - first day!

Regards,
Roderick

This is precisely why I do not like stats or numbers. Aneurysms have a mind of their own and they don't particularily care what the stats say. They blow whenever they up and feel like it. It could be a day from now or a year from now, but regardless, if it's not taken care of, it will happen.

If I had to write a stats sheet on risk of surgery vs risk of dissection, I would be 1-2% vs 50+%. I know there are those that will disagree, but any of us that have had it happen won't disagree.

I think you are down to the point of splitting hairs in your decision. Splitting hairs is not a good way to make a decision which could cost you your life.

When a life is at stake, then it is much better to err on the side of caution. You wouldn't want your family to be saying at your funeral, "If only he had had this taken care of, he would be here today"

My husband lived way beyond all his doctors expectations because he made sure he got things fixed up. He had terrible multiple medical problems, wasn't supposed to live past 50 w/o surgery. He lived to age 75 with all of his problems, only because he stayed on top of things, even when some of his doctors wanted to wait. He had 5 thoracic surgeries along the way, plus many, many lesser surgeries and procedures.

He even outlived all of his high school buddies, some of whom had heart problems requiring surgery, but didn't get it done.

One man, who knew he needed surgery for a long time, keeled over while taking his son to a football game. He died right on the spot in front of his son.

I would go ASAP, been there done that, although I did wait a couple of months and took a trip! Looking back I was crazy! That is to big to wait, and I would find you another doctor if in fact he said to wait and see? Waiting you will just fall dead!

I didn't have BAVD. However, I would say get the heck in the OR and getter dun!!!!!!!!!!!

Getting it done before you are "symptomatic" means you should recover much faster.

Many of us who were "asymptomatic" pre-op realize post-op we were actually symptomatic. We just weren't paying attention to the symptoms enough.

Heartman-
You have every right to be scared, its a scary thing for sure especially if your getting mixed messages from your docs. Like everyone else I would say do it now, and I think your already at that conclusion. My cardio and surgeon did not agree on when to do my surgery so I got a new cardio...The surgery for most is not that bad. I'm 6 weeks out tomorrow and back to like jogging already. My mother had knee replacement and she was laid up for 6 months! Yes it is a big deal to have your chest opened and your heart manipulated, but the consequences of not acting quickly are dire. I completely understand your confusion. No one here is trying to bully you, just concerned for your well being.

Hope all is well.

Cb, my AA is 5.4 or 5.9 depending on which test you believe, and I am searching everywhere to find a doc to do it ASAP. I am in the opposite boat, I want it done, and my cardio and surgeon are best buds and are backing each other up, and telling me to loose weight first and then have it done. I am driving myself crazy worrying about it, and fighting with my Ins co.

If you want my vote, in the immortal words of Rocky Balboa... "Cut me Mickey" get it done asap.

Yes John Ritter and country singer Conway Twitty both died of a ruptured aortic aneurysm.

CBDheartman, go for it.
I wrote in another thread just recently about the emotional toll this puts on families - I'm sure you must realise this. Do this surgery ASAP for your wife and children's sake.
They need you, not your life insurance payout.
We're all right behind you, supporting you.
GO!

I did wait when the cardiologist said it wasn't necessary (in truth, I was in the grey area with a 4.8 or 4.9cm aortic root, and was dreading surgery). However, my aneurism is now 5.4cm, and reviewing the percentages, I feel that I should have had surgery sooner.

Red

My point is why wait and worry? I should have not waited two months and went to CA and Mexico, the plane ride from hell was enough to kill anyone. It was a nightmare! So I just feel like when God is ready for you, you are going no matter what you are doing are where you are. I just think he gives us brains to figure out the rest, I just wanted to wait till after my 50th birthday! Why I don't know all I did was worry everyday about having it and if I was going to fall out! I am 2.5 years post op now and doing just fine! Loving my life and living a little different than before! So go get it done! Then you will have new stuff to worry about! LOL!

Back