worried about my brother

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ruthienc1

My brother had AVR on June 4th and has seemed to be doing all right, but not great. He's been released by the surgeon and is now in the care of his cardiologist about whom I know nothing. I'm hoping she's knowledgeable! He's most recently had trouble with elevated blood pressure (as high as 180/90, but today it was 160/84 when he wasn't doing much of anything) and is also getting shortness of breath at night and some ankle swelling. He had blood work and an echo today and got the impression things were okay and is to get a chest xray in the am. He's just a very placid patient, for want of a better word, and doesn't ask many questions: I worry about what he might have. He's going a a family vacation (all the kids and grandkids, etc, for a week, starting this Sat.) and it's a 21-mile drive to the nearest hospital on a 2-lane ocean road. Again,I just wish everything could get under control before they leave. Guess I want him to take charge of his health, too, since I can't (too far away,etc). Any advice?

This is, I imagine, a pretty tough situation for you..trying to control things that are not really under your control. Unless your brother consents, the medical information you would like to know are protected by HIPPA laws and not amendable to be released to you from the medical professionals. Apparently your brother is pretty relaxed about the whole thing. I'm not saying that is always a good thing, as being too trusting can occassionally be an issue and lead to bad outcomes. I guess the only thing I can think of is to simply say how much you love him, and its driving you bonkers not knowing how his health is. Perhaps, he could let you drive his healthcare or at least have a better understanding of where he stands in terms of what he has so that you can sleep at night. Otherwise, he's the head honcho of his life and health.

I'd be worried too, the high blood pressure, the shortness of breath, the ankle swelling. Sounds like he has some fluid on board that has to get gone., but it could also be something else like pericardial effusion.

Shortness of breath is nothing to fool around with. He should call his cardiologist and get in to see him, and if the SOB (not the doctor :), shortness of breath) becomes a very difficult problem for him, he should go to the ER.

It's nice to be relaxed about your health, but not good when there is something to worry about. His doctor is not going to call him to ask how he is, if there is a problem, he has to do the calling until he gets some answers.

He's pretty open with me about what's going on, but a whole lot less so with his doc... who is not, to the best of my knowledge, a mind reader. It's driving me nuts!

Elevated BP, SOB (especially when laying down), and swelling of the ankles *can* ALL be signs of Fluid Retention.

Can you accompany him to his Chest X-Ray tomorrow?
If he has fluid around his heart, it should show up in the XRay. They may need to draw it out (with a needle), or even open him up if it is severe, or just prescribe a diuretic (usually Lasix) to drain off the excess fluid.

BE SURE he gets an answer to WHY he is exhibiting these symptoms! I would think he needs to be 'checked out' before going on that trip.

'AL Capshaw'

Al- I can't go with him: I'm in NC and he's in PA, but 'll call him in the am and try to convince him to speak up. Thanks!

Elevated BP, SOB (especially when laying down), and swelling of the ankles *can* ALL be signs of Fluid Retention.

Can you accompany him to his Chest X-Ray tomorrow?
If he has fluid around his heart, it should show up in the XRay. They may need to draw it out (with a needle), or even open him up if it is severe, or just prescribe a diuretic (usually Lasix) to drain off the excess fluid.

BE SURE he gets an answer to WHY he is exhibiting these symptoms! I would think he needs to be 'checked out' before going on that trip.

'AL Capshaw'

Justin's fluid didn't show up in Xrays, he usually needs echos when he has had pericardial effusions

Ruthie,
can you e-mail him with questions to ask? If so, make sure you tell him to write down the answers because you'll want to know what they said.

AWWWWE Ruthie distance isn't always easy for any of us
when concerns of health issues arise.
Sounds although the two of you have a good communication barrier
between you's and he does tell you things on the phone,ask him if
theres anything you can do to help out like him allowing you to
phone and speak with his Dr. or if he would mind you in doing so.
Let him know your concerns and that you are worried for his health.
Worth a try maybe,i don't know what else to recommend other than
pray and God will look after this somehow,he always comes through
in mysterious ways and i'll be saying some prayers for you too Ruthie.
Stay strong!:)

zipper2

It turns out that he is in congestive heart failure, with a load of fluid in his lungs. He has been put on more Lasix and has to get the potassium levels right. Monday he'll return for more bloodwork and then return to his cardio on Weds. At least he has decided not to head off to the beach with everyone tomorrow, much as he'd like to. Somehow I didn't expect a fluid build-up to appear in the lungs 6 weeks after an otherwise uneventful AVR. He's 67 and overweight. Could age and size have a bearing on this, do you think? I guess I figured that, if my recovery went smoothly, his would too: it doesn't appear to be true!

I'm glad he is getting help for the problems. My husband had chronic CHF and was slim and in good shape, so I don't think size has anything to do with it. It's more a problem with heart function. If he is very inactive though, getting more active like walking will help the heart pump better and be more able to move fluid around and out.

He should be feeling much better once the fluid is gone.

Good thing he did not go on the trip! He has to take care of his health and I think he is on that track now. So nice to have a sister that cares so much!
God Bless you both.

Deb

Latest posts

Back