Why Do I feel so Crummy?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Enudely

Hi all
I am a year and a half post op from my second surgery, and I now have a mechanical valve and am on Coumadin. I basically do not feel good almost all of the time. Very low energy, fuzzy head. I have had all the normal blood tests you could think of. Is it just because I have young kids and am woken up at night? Could it be from the Coumadin? Could it be that my heart is not doing so well? Any input is appreciated. thanks!

another thing I have is this weird tingling which goes up and down the sides of my spine in my upper back. Could this be from scar tissue from the surgery?
thanks!

I just got to thinking more and MANY heart patients are SLEEP APNEA aflicted and this results in many of the symptoms you describe have you talked to your GP or PCP about how you feel.......my feelings are much as yours only my childrren are 34 and 30 so that is not the reason and my GP has ordered a sleep diorder study through one of the SDS here

Are you on any other meds? Maybe important like Greg said to get a sleep study done to see how your breathing at night. Of course if you do have sleep apnea then they will give you a PAP device which sucks, many people will just deal with bad sleep then wear that thing every night.

It could be some depression that never got resolved since the surgery? Could be an effect of the heart lung machine you were on that has done some permanent damage?

Coumadin is not the culprit. It's no worse than an aspirin a day. Look for something else as the cause.

I am 21 months out from the 2nd AVR. I now have a mechanical as well. I struggle with lo stamina issues. I can work out really hard, but am exhausted for a couple days afterwards.

My hearts electrical impulse to one side is a hair slower than the other side.

I agree with the others that it could be med related.

Could it be heart related. Is your heart performing really good, or just so so. An echo should be able to give the answer. Is the valve working correctly?

Is the size of the valve appropriate for your need?

I know you said you have lots of blood work done, but is it specific to these symptoms? I'm thinking low iron, maybe a potassium or magnesium issue? Just a thought.

I know you said you have lots of blood work done, but is it specific to these symptoms? I'm thinking low iron, maybe a potassium or magnesium issue? Just a thought.

I felt weak and did have dizzy spells along with palpitations when I exercised too hard. This turned out to be low iron. It was my local doctor who discovered this not my cardiologist (one a a half years after AVR!). It is worth asking what the blood tests were actually testing for.

Best advice I can offer is to talk with you doctor. Could be a lot of things.

In my case it took me between nine months and a year to get my stamina back. I've got a good friend who is about 15 months post op and is still struggling a bit.

Mark

I had a sleep study years ago and have used a CPAP ever since. No morning headaches. More rested. I found it to be more embarrassing than uncomfortable. And my loved one adapted easily not to mention she appreciated the white noise that replaced the snoring. Sleep apnea is a real ailment and VERY bad for your heart and your general health. The hospital had me bring it with for my surgery so I would have it for sleep in recovery. When I needed oxygen they just piped it into the flow to my mask. I recommend a sleep study to everyone.

Latest posts

Back