Whoa...

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My surgeon Victor Guadiani is considered one of the best on the west coast. I'm having my surgery on a Thursday. (1/19) Every Thurs, visiting surgeons fly in to watch and videotape his technique. I was asked if it was OK to have observers and to be filmed. I have several reactions to this. First, if everyone is coming to learn from him - have at it people. I'm in good hands. Second - if something does go wrong - PROOF! (he he) But seriously I know I'm in good hands.

Is it possible for them to tape your surgery and than having the chance to get that video? Anyone know? or is that a no no other than for research purposes.?

I think you would have to ask your own surgeon about this, as it probably differs between hospitals, etc. If you are going to a teaching hospital my guess is chances are better.

I'm with bravdo -- still can't watch it. Been tempted a few times, but so far have not made the leap. Considering how amazed I am at just the thought of what these great doctors have done for me, I suspect I'd be even more impressed once I sat through a video. Perhaps soon.

Dan

I'm still trying to get up the nerve to watch a video - I had my surgery almost 8 months ago but am not sure I'm ready yet. I'm definitely interested but I do tend to avert my eyes when seeing anything a bit bloody on TV, for example, so I haven't gone looking yet.... :p

I had the interesting experience of seeing my surgeon on the local TV news a few days ago - he's part of a charitable group providing free heart surgery (and training of local surgeons) to the poorest people in Kenya. The facilities and conditions under which he has to work out there are not the best (e.g. regular power outages, 2nd hand equipment from the NHS etc.) but nevertheless he manages to successfully fix up quite a few people with his fine skills. I have the utmost admiration for the man, he's nothing short of a miracle worker and saint in my book! It is also humbling to remind ourselves that not everyone is as fortunate as many of us in the developed world are, having access to such astonishing, life saving surgery in first class medical establishments.

Anyway... in this short news item I got to see someone on the table in theatre and some footage of the bypass machine in action as well as the man himself, doing his thing. It was most interesting to see the (presumably similar) sort of environment I was in for a few hours without knowing.

Latest posts

Back