Whoa...

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jason

Always Assume Positive Intent
I had my AVR surgery coming up on 10 months ago now, and I just watched some you tube videos of valve replacement surgeries for the first time. I knew the videos were out there, but I wasn't quite comfortable with watching the videos until today. After watching the videos, I want to go find my surgeon and give her a big hug. It is truly amazing what these people do! The fact that someone has devoted their life to surgical techniques such as this that saved my life is wonderful. I didn't truly appreciate the surgery that I had until watching these videos, but as I said I wasn't ready to watch them for some reason until now. All of us are very lucky to be living in a time when surgery such as this is almost routine!

Jason

I've seen the AVR videos on youtube too (AFTER my surgery.) I agree with you Jason, it's amazing surgery to watch. I was amazed at how the valve is sewn in place.

I had my AVR surgery coming up on 10 months ago now, and I just watched some you tube videos of valve replacement surgeries for the first time. I knew the videos were out there, but I wasn't quite comfortable with watching the videos until today. After watching the videos, I want to go find my surgeon and give her a big hug. It is truly amazing what these people do! The fact that someone has devoted their life to surgical techniques such as this that saved my life is wonderful. I didn't truly appreciate the surgery that I had until watching these videos, but as I said I wasn't ready to watch them for some reason until now. All of us are very lucky to be living in a time when surgery such as this is almost routine!

Jason
As amazing as they are, imagine the Congenital heart surgeons, operating on 4 pound babies and toddlers. When Justin had his surgery at 18 months I was told his heart they had to reroute the blood thru was the size of a walnut and some of the veins about the size of lead in a pencil. The heart is roughly the same size as a clenched fist, think of that when you see small babies and children. It still amazes me when i think about it 20 years later

I haven't been brave enough to watch one of the videos yet, since medical issues got to me long before my MVP was diagnosed. Put it this way, I passed out in the emergency room shortly before my murmur was found, but that was after looking at an X-ray of my 18 year-old son's collapsed lung. I said "that's really neat", but then felt the blood draining from my head. Once the ER staff determined I was fine, they sent me out to the waiting room with orders not to return. Little did I know that a bit over a year later I'd be heading into another hospital for my own operation!

It is amazing what the surgeons can do nowadays. I can't imagine what it feels like to have a skill that you can use to save someone's life on a nearly daily basis.

I agree 100%, Jason. I did watch a couple of the videos before surgery, so when I had an opportunity during my hospital stay, I gave my surgeon and each of his residents and fellows a big hug and thanks. Same with several of the most helpful nurses, a physician assistant and an occupational therapist that really helped me. I took pictures with each of them before I left the hospital and posted them on my Facebook page. Even though this surgery is now fairly routine, it was a BIG deal for me, a true life changer. Had you asked me before I learned I needed this surgery if I would be able to handle it, I would have expressed strong doubts. But we have gotten through it and generally done well, and that is a testament to the skill of the surgeons, nurses, and other healthcare workers. And to think that I underwent deep hypothermic complete circulatory arrest with retrograde cold perfusion of my brain while they repaired my aortic arch with no ill effects still astonishes me. I understand the physiology, but I'm still amazed they can carry it out so successfully.

I'm fortunate enough to have had the pleasure of seeing a few short clips of my own surgery! It is definitely odd, though very interesting to watch one's own heart stop beating. Even more interesting is watching my wife or my mother watching the video. They're troopers though.
It is absolutely amazing to see though, the skill and dexterity these folks work with. Even the heart lung bypass process is spectacularly well done these days. The only thing which is a little tough to watch is the actual sternotomy. It seems a little medieval, especially the spreader!

I'm bittersweet on the situation. I'm still waiting for my first AVR in February, and have tried to watch as many videos of the procedure as I can. I feel it's kind of a bad idea before surgery, but at the same time I feel like I deserve to know what's being done to my body before hand. On that note though I couldn't agree more, to watch them operate is something magical, how precise they are is absolutely mind blowing and deserves nothing but the up most respect for how well they do their job.

It truly is amazing and a Blessing how gifted all these surgeons are, we are so blessed to live in these times and to live in this country. I remember a couple days after being home from the hospital, I cry my eyes out, saying a prayer THANKING GOD once again and thanking my surgeon. I been for the most part praying for my surgeon and other surgeons to continue to bless them and that they continue to help other heart valve patients.
We are all so lucky and giving a second chance. take care everyone jim

I had my AVR surgery coming up on 10 months ago now, and I just watched some you tube videos of valve replacement surgeries for the first time.

Jason

Could you please direct me to one or two on you tube. I went there and was befuddled by the choices. I never watch you tube so have a hard time with searches there on the rare occasion I try.

What I would like to watch is a mitral valve replacement from opening chest to closing chest. I certainly understand if that isn't something you're able to do.
Thank you.

Pre-op there was no way I could look at any videos since I was prone to passing out just discussing it.
At about 2-3 years post op the pics and videos became easier to look at and appreciate, EXCEPT for the
sternum cutting and opening. NO way can I ever look at that. Blech.

Could you please direct me to one or two on you tube. I went there and was befuddled by the choices. I never watch you tube so have a hard time with searches there on the rare occasion I try.

What I would like to watch is a mitral valve replacement from opening chest to closing chest. I certainly understand if that isn't something you're able to do.
Thank you.

Try this. You may find what your looking for:
http://www.youtube.com/results?sear...0l26081l18l18l0l0l0l4l478l3299l5.5.7.0.1l18l0

OR
in your address bar type in youtube, then type in 'open heart surgery' in the youtube search bar

I'm fortunate enough to have had the pleasure of seeing a few short clips of my own surgery! It is definitely odd, though very interesting to watch one's own heart stop beating. Even more interesting is watching my wife or my mother watching the video. They're troopers though.
It is absolutely amazing to see though, the skill and dexterity these folks work with. Even the heart lung bypass process is spectacularly well done these days. The only thing which is a little tough to watch is the actual sternotomy. It seems a little medieval, especially the spreader!

I think this is the one http://www.cbc.ca/video/#/News/Health/1244503490/ID=1687984339 YOU ARE A STAR

Amazing !

Why were they videoing your surgery ? Is that a routine thing ?

It's not routine (though it really ought to be - I'd have gladly paid for a video of the whole thing) but as you can see from Greg's link above, they were filming my surgeon for a short documentary.

I was into watching AVR videos on youtube before my surgery and some after. More recently, however, I've had a hard time watching them cut the sternum. This is because I've had some soreness and stiffness in my sternum area lately and watching it hits a little too close to home.

Thanks for the link.
Dr. Cohen seems like not only a fine surgeon but fine gentleman. :)
He is not doing it for the money, as he says.

All of us are very lucky to be living in a time when surgery such as this is almost routine!

AMEN!

I've never looked at the videos ... not sure if I want to. BUT ... the caring and skill in the surgeons and nurses is simply awesome.

Cort | 38.m.IL | pigValve + paceMaker + cowValve | 5 MCs + 1 Caprice Classic
CHD.MCs.CC + RoadTrips.hobbies.RadioShows.us66 = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort
"May your days be merry and bright" __ Irving Berlin/Bing Crosby __ 'White Christmas'

"I've never looked at the videos ... not sure if I want to. BUT ... the caring and skill in the surgeons and nurses is simply awesome."

Yes! The nurses too. I don't remember any of them from the OR, but the two who cared for me in CICU were brilliant, confident and competent, gentle and attentive. All but one on the recovery ward were great too, including the nurse practitioner who was assigned to me, and helped get me the right pain meds, and released in just four days.

The other thing I was thinking about was what a great job the anesthetist did, putting me under as things were getting started, and having me pop out fully lucid just under an hour from the time my surgeon came out to tell my family how well it went. I've always meant to find and thank him.

We are indeed a lucky bunch, to be living in this time, as Jason said, and that there are these exceptional people who have chosen to do this for a living.

Latest posts

Back