Who wants to interpret my ECHO?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jag004

I went and obtained my echo report from almost 4 months ago. I would like input and opinions from everyone, because I can not read this. I havent been the same since surgery almost 2 years ago. The doctors just keep telling me that everything looks "fine". Maybe I can get more honest info from those on here. Im 38 years old, about 120 pounds overweight(303 lbs), do not do any physical acttivity(sits at a desk - no gym), with a bovine aortic valve n aneurysm repair, and semi-high cholesterol taking simvistatin. Im not proud of this by any means.....im just stating the facts. Here is my entire echo , plus a snippet from my stress test of the same day. I need the truth if something doesnt look good, or if something can be better. So, please be candid. And could someone explain to me what this "apos;s" means?
Thanks.

DIMENSIONS:
LA: 4.6 cm (2.0-4.0)
Ao: 2.8 cm (2.0-3.9)
Septum: 1.0 cm (0.6-1.2)
PWT: 0.9 cm (0.6-1.1)
LVIDd: 6.2 cm (3.0-5.6)
LVIDs: 4.0 cm (1.8-4.0)

Derived Variables:
LVMI: 98 g/m2
RWT: 0.29
Ejection Fraction: 65 +/- 5%

Observations:
Mitral Valve: Mild mitral annular calcification. Otherwise normal mitral valve. Mild mitral regurgitation.
Aortic Root: Normal aortic root size.
Aortic Valve: appearing bioprosthetic valve in the aortic position. Peak trans aortic valve gradient equals 16 mm Hg, mean transaortic valve gradient equals 10 mm Hg, which is probably normal in the presence of a prosthetic valve. No regurgitation seen.
Left Ventricle: Normal left ventricle systolic function without segmental wall motion abnormalities. Reduced e' suggests abnormal diastolic function. Normal left ventricular dimensions for BSA with normal wall thickness.
Right Heart: Normal right atrial size. Inferior vena cava normal in size and with inspiratory collapse, consistent with normal right atrial pressure. Normal right ventricular size and function. APSE is 1.9 cm (nl >1.5 cm) and TV s' is 13 cm/s (nl>9 cm/s). Normal tricuspid valve with no regurgitation. Visualized segments of the pulmonic valve are normal with no regurgitation. Pericardium/PleuraNo pericardial effusion.

CONCLUSIONS:
1. Mild mitral annular calcification. Otherwise normal mitral valve. Mild mitral regurgitation.
2. Increased transaortic valve gradient which is probably normal in the presence of prosthetic valve. No regurgitation seen.
3. Normal LV internal dimensions for BSA with normal wall thickness.
4. Normal LV systolic function without segmental wall motion abnormalities. Reduced e' suggests abnormal diastolic function.
5. Normal RV size and function.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Abnormalities before or after treadmill stress test:

Abnormalities: 0.5 - 1.0 horizontal st depression in II, III, aVf, V4-6 at rate 162. Resolving at 3 minutes recovery.

Arrhythmia: Frequent VDP's

Borderline electrocardiographic response for ischemia.

Lot of info there. IMO maybe you should have another word with your doc as its clearly bothering you and although a few on here are knowledgeable we ain't doctors Good luck

I would also have a word with the doctor to have their interpretation.

The numbers that scare me are the ones elated to your health and weight. As you said you're not proud of it, but making minor changes in activity/ diet/ sleep, etc...... Could have a significant role in how you feel. You said you haven't been the same in 2 years!

When a doctor says it looks "fine", maybe it is for someone out of shape and over weight, where for someone in better shaoe it would not be "fine". Just a thought.

I hope you can try and get some answers, but at the same time try and be more active, both will help you!

My father in-law took statins for a number of years but felt progressively worse over time. He tried them all and got to the point he couldn't tolerate them, feeling bad, problems with his legs, etc. My wife got him to take red rice yeast instead and both his health and cholesterol levels improved. That was several years ago and he is still doing well. Re. the echo, there is nothing that jumps out at me and I think you've already been given good advise - talk to your Dr. and focus on your overall health.

Thanks for your advice. I know the only thing that I can do is help myself by diet and exercise, which is something that I have not been doing. I do not know much about this echo report, but I do know that abnormal diastolic function is not a good thing. At 3 different times n dates since surgery, I asked 2 cardiologists and the head dr of an ER staff if I was in heart failure....all 3 doctors gave a quick and definitive NO. I also had a Pro BNP blood test done 1 year before surgery and 1 year after surgery.....it went from 128 down to 43. As crazy as it sounds, I don't fully trust doctors in giving me all the info. I feel like they give me just enough to keep me in the know......or on a need to know basis. For instance, I did not know my mitral valve was mildly regurgitating. I am not too worried about it, but things like that would be nice to know. And as far as the abnormal diastolic function, I'm not sure of what to think because no one has ever said anything to me about it. So that is why I posted it here. This way someone could tell me what questions to write down n ask the dr. But u are all right.....first I need to start helping myself with diet n exercise, and then I can take it from there. Thanks again.

Of course the diet & exercise advice is good. However, there isn't any reason why you can't ask your doctor why it says "abnormal diastolic function." Maybe it's not unusual for your case, but you deserve peace of mind. (Am I the only one who thinks his LV size is a bit large/above normal?) "Trace" valve regurgitation is extremely common and no doctor mentioned that most of my other valves had it, although it was on reports. Mild is just one step above that, and if it's been seen for years then your doctor wouldn't bring that up either because it isn't progressing into a concern. Take care.

I think most of it is probably not bad based on my very limited knowledge interpreting my own echos for >2 yrs now. I would not worry about the mild mitral regurg. Its quite common for many healthy people to have this. My cardiologist discussed it with me and said many people can have mild regurg during their lifetime and it never changes. In fact, I even have traces of regurg with my On-X valve, but its actually normal and designed to do this to 'wash' across the valve surface to help prevent clotting (very non-technical description!).

Your LVIDd is a bit high - surprised it was not mentioned in the summary. Normal LVIDd is < 5.7 cm. 6.2cm would be mild-moderate enlargement of the Left Ventricle..
EF is good. > 55% is normal.

As was mentioned, the best thing you can do for yourself is drop the lbs and see what its like when you get tested next time.

The echo reports I get also show the "normal" reading or range so that you can see if you are within or outside the normal values/range. When I see my cardiologist I get him to take me through the #'s, explain them and then discuss how things look. Push your cardiologist for straight, honest and thorough answers - and if you don't get it, dump him and get a cardiologist who treats their patients better.

Tony

Latest posts

Back