Which Valve do you Have?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which Valve do you Have?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
think its a personnal choice,which ever you choose is great,its not a case who would win,mind you still voted lol,

Umm, ok. It's kind of like saying he who dies with the most toys wins. :D

I'll start, Mechanical Valve, Left Total Titanium hip, Greenfield filter.........to be continued.

Just as a point of interest. the demand for artificial valves is expected to be flat next year with the market topping out at about 1.1B dollars. The tissue valve segment is expected to grow about 3-4% next year while the mechanical valve segement is expected to decline 1% next year. This information is a composite view from multiple sources including independent syndicated market research firms.

This info should not affect anyone valve's choice ... its just interesting data. Since this data is somewhat counterintuitive and perhaps surprising to many forum paticipants, the "why's" lying behind this data is even more interesting. If there is interest and if I get a chance, I'll post what's behind the numbers on the heart issues/questions forum.

Best regards--
Bill

;)
Just as a point of interest. the demand for artificial valves is expected to be flat next year with the market topping out at about 1.1B dollars. The tissue valve segment is expected to grow about 3-4% next year while the mechanical valve segement is expected to decline 1% next year.
This surprises me. I have a tissue valve and was thinking that with the economy in a slump and people not feeling too secure re healthcare that there would be an increase in the demand for mech. valves. The way I was looking at it was that you may not have to worry about a re-op as soon as with tissue,giving the more independence from the system.
On the other hand there is the coumadin to consider. So,again,no clear cut choice...;)
And,I have no idea what I would choose for a second re-op. No idea:confused:

Currently have a mechanical valve in the mitrial position.Must be replaced, will undergo another OH in January 2010.Will replace with another mechanical valve.

I really do believe this decision is a true paradigm. I personally had a very difficult time, down to the minute making the decision. After speaking with surgeons I finally decided to use the "Edward's bovine Magna".
Some things I like to do can leave me in remote locations and there is a potential for injury.
I am now 41/2 wks post-op I basically have 10 to 15yrs I will be 60yrs old then and I am hoping for some advancements in valves and procedures?
Best Adam

I had been totally unconscious for 3 1/2 weeks when my drs and family made the decision, but I'm happily clicking away with a St. Jude Mitral Valve.

Coumadin? I don't touch the stuff. I do, though, eat my Warfarin every night and love the stuff. :D

St. Jude Mechanical in the Aortic Position.

srinivas Heart History:
13/6/2008 2D Echo Diagnosed Ascending Aortic Dissection ,Bicuspid aortic valve, Moderate AR at the age of 38(2008)
9/6/08 CT scan shows Aneurysmal dilation of aortic root and ascending aorta with dissection extending upto brachio cephalic trunk and mild aneurysm
16/07/08 Operative findings & repair. Aortic aneurysm approx size 10 cms diameter.Aneurysm extd upto 1c m from innomiate artery. Mod. Bental DC Bono surgery procedure done to repair my anueuysm with#25 mm St.Jude medical valved conduit(SN 84094003.REF25CAVGJ-51400 AOROTIC VALVED GRAFT) At CARE Hospital Bangara Hills,Hyderabad,India. Surgeon: Dr K.s. Neelakandan gave me re birth! Dr . Sridar,Dr.Amreesh, Dr.Jagannatham completed the formalities.

Let me say that I mean no disrespect toward those with tissue valves nor those wanting them. I'm only trying to make you think on this subject harder then you really want too before making your decisions final.

I can't help but post this because Valerie didn't make through her first surgery. People say I scare people when I tell them that they should be making the choice that keeps them from further surgeries if at all possible. I say this to mainly the younger 20-55 year old group because, as you now see, your first surgery may be your one and only. Sure, people will say that statistically, the odds are in your favor for survival. In truth people, your odds on any given heart surgery is 50/50.

For those that are choosing tissue valves at a young age simply to avoid Coumadin or your afraid it'll affect your lifestyle, I ask you, how many times can you cross a 4 lane highway without getting hit? Can you honestly say that risking death multiple times is worth it vs taking pill everyday for the rest of your life in an honest hope that it would be the only surgery you'd have? Nothing is guaranteed no matter what you choose, but I'm having a real hard time getting my head around the fact that so many people people treat heart surgery like a dental cleaning, actually planning for their next surgery, if they're lucky enough to make after this one. Heart surgery is a big deal and don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

Human to human, this surgery will affect every organ in your body and they will not put up with multiple abuse. It's not just your heart, but kidneys, lungs, intestines, everything. Talk with those that have had multiple surgeries and find out how many suffer some co-morbidities as a result. Not only that, but the financial stresses (I'm financial ruined and I was once semi well off), stresses on family and loved ones, etc, well, is it worth it?

There will be many people dissing this post. I know that. Some have this,"It won't happen to me" syndrome. To be brutally honest, I've sat back and not said a thing for a long time, all the while, placing more people in the In Loving Memory forum and with each member I put in there, it's killing me. My own surgeries had me facing death and for the most part, I was within an inch of being in that forum myself. I myself, will not make it through a 3rd surgery of this magnitude. My doctors have all said it and I feel it in my gut also. Please listen to someone experienced in the matter.

Since the poster of this thread never made it, I'm posting this, with all do respect to people, because I do care about each and everyone of you. At times, I wish I didn't care about you because then, it wouldn't hurt so much when I lose one of you. For me, it's my duty to present you with the facts that you'd rather not know, but I cannot, in good conscience, sit back and say nothing any longer.

Please understand, I watched this person lose her life, have another knocking on deaths door right now and I'm hurting pretty bad about all of it, plus losing my best friend from complications of heart surgery in September. If you think people don't matter to me, put yourself in my shoes and read my first signature.

People say I scare people when I tell them that they should be making the choice that keeps them from further surgeries if at all possible. I say this to mainly the younger 20-55 year old group because, as you now see, your first surgery may be your one and only.

I think this is good counsel, Ross. I hope people read it carefully and think clearly about what you are saying.

Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back