Which nonmechanical valve did you have implanted and are you using coumadin for afib?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which nonmechanical valve did you have implanted and are you using coumadin for afib?

• I HAVE A CRYOLIFE SYNERGRAFT

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I DEVELOPED A-FIB AND REQUIRE COUMADIN POST-SURGERY

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
M

Mary

I'm replacing the former poll since the thread recently developed a "glitch" and names weren't being displayed. That means members who contributed an answer "way back when" will need to do so again!
Please check which nonmechanical valve you have, and if you have developed afib post-surgery,and require coumadin, check that too. It would be helpful if you mentioned which valve has been replaced since I didn't put it in the poll options and can't change them now.:(

I had a bovine valve and I wanted to add that I experieced a.flutter ,but not post-op,I had all 3 arrhythmias before my OHS and my cardio was so sure that I woiuld have post-op arrhythmia and was surprised when I didnt. We also had discussions regarding me taking coumadin in case of the possibility of future arrhythmia.
He said he was 50/50 on it since my arrhythmias were caused by irregular
atrial tissue caused by the stretch which occurs with CHF or dilation and
that because of my new valve , I now have less dilation, and this makes
my need for coumadin less. So he is allowing me to be off of it, but I get
the feeling he would rather me be on it.
Regarding the bovine valve, I almost had a porcine and when I asked my surgeon which was best , he said that they were very similar . But he
kinda "steer'ed":D me towards the bovine,even though one of my in-laws
has a friend who has had their porcine valve for over 25 years:)

I have a bovine valve. Had no aFIb prior to surgery. I went into aFib very, very briefly in ICU just post surgery and they gave me some Amiadarone (sp...sorry) and it went away. Knock wood, never to return.

No coumadin ever that I know of.

Marguerite

I have a porcine valve. Never took coumadin. I did develop A-Fib in the hospital and took sotadol (sp) for five months. I will be 6 months of the 22nd of July.

As of now have no A-Fib, no longer on sodatol and never any coumadin
Earline

EDIT: Aortic position

Mary, the last poll poeple were asked in the comments to name which valve they recieved (pulm , Aortic) since some valves have different chances of Afib, could you add that here?

Justin has a CE Bovine and 2 gortex conduits (either side of valve) for his pulmonary valve. This was not a replacement. He did NOT have a pulm valve until he was 17.

The only reason I require any long term ACT is because of my history with sapphic vein thrombosis. Both times I've had a DVT have been post-trauma, the first post-cholestectomy and the second after my knee injuries.

I take 325mg Enteric ASA daily and will seriously be considering switching to Warfarin in the future should any of my doctors recommend it. I'd rather have my proclivity for thrombosis be addressed than to beg off Coumadin any longer, especially now that I'm menopausal.

eta: Porcine Aortic Valve and Root (in case you can't see my signature).

I have bovine in mitral position and (thankfully) no a-fib. My surgeon and cardio said I'd be on warfarin for about 3 months post op and surgeon told me I could stop at 2 1/2 months. I never reached therapeutic range. During our conversations while I was deciding which valve, they both were very clear that a-fib could require ACT regardless my tissue valve. I feel they made sure I was well informed.

Mary, the last poll poeple were asked in the comments to name which valve they recieved (pulm , Aortic) since some valves have different chances of Afib, could you add that here?

Justin has a CE Bovine and 2 gortex conduits (either side of valve) for his pulmonary valve. This was not a replacement. He did NOT have a pulm valve until he was 17.

Good idea, Lyn, but unfortunately I can't change the options on the poll.:(
I have edited by original post and asked people to include that information, so hopefully they will.

Dick has an Edward Magna valve and only takes Lopressor and another blood pressure medication.

I have a Carpentier-Edwards Perimount bovine pericardium aortic valve.
I take warfarin, hopefully temporarily, due to potential for A-flutter.

I developed A-fib three times in hospital after OHS and was electrically cardioverted twice but went back into A-fib each time, then finally self converted a few days after the third A-fib event. Was placed on anti-arhythmics Amiodarone, and Atenolol to reduce potential for A-fib and warfarin to prevent clots in case it occurred.

About one month after OHS went into A-flutter and I stayed in flutter for about 6 weeks. My HR was a constant 105 and with minimal activity it would shoot up to 210 causing my heart to pound, shortness of breath, and fatigue for a period of about 20 minutes. Not fun. An EP wanted to do an ablation to stop the flutter but my surgeon suggested that was very aggressive and recommended that I wait and allow my heart to heal for about 3 months post OHS before doing anything. I waited as long as I could but quality of life was low and eventually I had an electrical cardioversion after 2 1/2 months post OHS and I have been in normal sinus rhythm for about 2 months now. My cardio and I will revisit and consider going off the anti-arythmic drugs in a couple of months ( ~ 6 months post op).
John

valve

valve

I have a bovine pericardial 3000TFX.
I'm hoping it will last me 20 years
We'll see??
I will be planning for my next procedure to be
a transcather fermeol replacement
We'll see??
Debbie :):)

My husband has a bovine valve and did not get put on coumadin. He did have one episode of a-fib in the hospital.

shellyb

I have a St. Jude's Porcine in the tricuspid position. I was released from the hospital on 3 months of coumadin. I have not had any a-fib, but they also did a maze procedure to try and prevent it since I had a-flutter before surgery as well as WPW.

Kim

At the time of the poll I had a homograft and had experienced no afib and did not need to take coumadin. It lasted less than 10 years as severe regurgitation required a redo. This time with a carbomedics mechanical and I will be on coumadin for ever.

Nick

I requested a 27mm Metronics stentless Freestyle in Aortic position with a total root replacement. I had a brief period of A-Fib and was electrically Cardio-verted successfully. A short trial of Amiodarone and now on 81 gr ASA and 25gm of Toprol.

I'm confused about the idea that coumadin is used to control afib. I thought coumadin prevented blood clots.

Prior to surgery I used Hawthorn to control afib. It's an alternative to more famous pharmaceutical beta-blockers.

Post surgery I am still taking Hawthorn. (My surgeons other patients take beta-blockers.) I am assuming that eventually we will see if I still need it.

I'm confused about the idea that coumadin is used to control afib. I thought coumadin prevented blood clots.

That IS the connection actually. My mother, not a valve patient, takes Coumadin due to A-Fib to prevent possible clots which could result from A-Fib.

Latest posts

Back