Where can I look for past medical records?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tell-Tale Heart

I've been followed by cardiolst since birth and have seen doctors from California to Florida to Connecticut. Even as an adult, I never thought to ask for copies of my records. I have a short list of doctors and hospitals where I was treated or monitored. Does anyone know how long records are kept nowadays and how I could go about requesting copies?
I'm mostly curious, but I also would like to understand exactly what my diagnosis was prior to my first surgery (20+ years). My doctors explained things in very simplistic ways when I was a child. By the time I grew up, I think it was assumed I knew what was going on with my heart. But there are pieces that "should" fit that I don't remember, and other things I remember that don't fit with what I was told. Examples - I know I was born with Aortic Stenosis. But no one ever mentioned a bicuspid valve. Or I remember the doctor telling me my Aorta got squished, like stepping on a garden hose. Does that mean another diagnoses? My parents both passed away, so I can't ask them.
Antone have advise or experience about how I can get some answers? Thanks!

If you recall the name of hospitals and dates you were a patient or had testing done, you could write to the "Keeper of Patient Records', give them a release and request copies of everything they have in their files. There might be a small fee for copying. (Perhaps if you mention that sadly both your parents are deceased, you might get lucky for a kind person to put a bit more effort in knowing they are your only possible source for information.)

Same for any doctors you recall having seen.
It is hit or miss how much response you will get.
Records get lost, get put into storage and for various reasons may not be located but it is certainly worth the effort of trying.

If you can recall any doctors names, google to get contact info and try calling their office.

Good luck.
I am sure it would be a relief for you to get at least some information about your heart history.
Let us know how you make out.

I was told that most doctors and hospitals will keep your records for at least 10 years.

My advice would be for you to write down the names of all the doctors, hospitals and any other medical facilities you can possibly remember and start making phone calls. Many offices will refer you to their "Records Department" that will request a release from you in order to obtain your records.

Good luck to you!

Thank you! I'll start contacting them via mail and phone as you suggested. And I'll remember to ask for copies going forward. I'm sure the passage of HIPPA ment the secure disposal of many old records, but I won't know unless I try.

I hope you are able to track down anything you need to know. I had heart surgery at 17 and when I needed the valve surgery at 42 the doctors wanted the op report from 25 years earlier. I didn't have it and neither did the hospital, after that many years. Happily it didn't end up being a big issue for me.

But this could be a big problem so it's a good idea to keep a personal medical file of all important test results and op reports, etc.

Last edited:
Pat,

Hoping your records are archived and retrievable, ask if they could send you CD instead of hard copies. It will be much easier for you to look up a specific time, procedure, etc. They may charge you a bit more, but it will be worth it, if feasible.

Good luck.

My experience with old records is like the others who posted. I have been lucky and have had little need for past records. However, a few years ago, I was denied an MRI(?) test because I did not have a valve ID card.....they where not provided when I had surgery in '67. Because of that experience, I have tried to get "old" medical records without much luck. All cardio records more than 10-15 years old have been destroyed by the cardio staffs. The hospital did have a "scant" record of my surgery and it was enough to force Edwards Lifesciences to provide me with a card that does contain some very sketchy info, including serial number "UNK-178" and model "UNK-STARREW". I'm pretty sure that "UNK" stands for UNKNOWN. The only way to know for sure what I got is to "opern me up and look"......unsettling. That experience has taught me to maintain my own medical record file of info I consider important.

Generally - 7 years is the standard. Also given electronic recording, many people will shred the paper files as soon as they can. (or microfiche them) Some of the record retention will depend on the filing system and storage space at your providers office.

We ran into a similar situation. My parents never discussed anything and there's a wealth of family history out there that we'll never know about. We didn't know how old our parents were until they died. They never wanted us to 'worry' about anything. My sisters and I are constantly trying to piece things together for our health. Bummer.

Latest posts

Back