When to return to work

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lorimacm

This is just bouncing off of Coach14's thread about trouble feeling motivated after returning to work.

Was wondering how much time off working every takes and do you think you had enough time?

My employer has given me 12 weeks or however long I need, but I was considering returning at 8 weeks. Of course, if I don't feel well enough at 8 weeks I would wait the 12.

(I am currently only at 4 weeks post-op.)

Thanks all for your reply.

Lori

I wouldn't call it "back to work", since I only get called in when needed. But certain dates were confirmed way before I knew I needed surgery. I was 4 weeks post-op.
My surgeon new about my work dates, my GP thought it was a bit early. But I was doing more work at home than I was at this p/t job.

The first op I was a programming contractor and I went back to work after 2 weeks, 4 hours a day. The next week was 6 hours then 8 hours the 3rd week.

For the second op I'm shooting for 4 weeks, but my job is sitting and typing. Guess it depends on the occupation.

I'm out since 7/30...my surgery called for the 8-12 week number. Wait to see how you feel. Try not to put a "date" on your recovery. I thought I would be back in 8 weeks,
then I developed pericarditis around 9/10 and am still being treated for it, so I have no idea when I am going back. I have been working a few hours daily from home at my own accord since my 8th day out of the hospital. I also can take as long as I need, however long it takes...give your body the time it needs to heal. :)

It depends what kind of job you have. I went back 8 weeks after surgery because I work in a factory and I have to say because it is demanding I am pretty beat even after 2 months of being back to work.

The *usual* recommendation is for non-physically demanding jobs, go back to work at 6 weeks if there are NO complicaitons. ANY complication can quickly extend that time. Young Athletic types like to 'get back in the game' ASAP. The rest of us find that being up and about can tire us Very Quickly and may start off part-time for a week or two before going back to a full work week.

If your insurance will cover Cardiac Rehabilitation, many of our members report that was a Good Experience for them as they slowly increased their activity levels under Nursing Supervision. Most Doc's will OK Rehab after 6 weeks, typically 3 days/week for 1 hour / day.

It is not uncommon to continue to improve for many Months following OHS, some even report taking a Year or more to feel they were fully recovered, especially the 'more elderly'.

'AL Capshaw'

For those facing surgery or still out on sick leave post-op:

If you have short-term disability insurance, check with your HR department on how returning to work affects your STD and ultimately your paycheck.

When I had a hysterectomy in 1985, we didn't have STD and when I came back to work, I was able to "slide" back into work. I was a copy desk chief of the newspaper where I still work, and I went back to work for probably 4-6 hours the first week, then gradually built up to 8-hour days over the next week.

So, that's what I intended to do in 2003 after my MVR. However, because we now have STD, I could not do that. I was told that once I worked a full day, my STD ended and if I had to go back out on sick time -- for any portion of a day -- I would have to (1) reapply for FMLA and (2) be out 5 days again before STD would kick back in.
And biggest kicker: STD insurance carrier has to be notified at least 1 week before payroll was due of how much to pay out to an employee. My STD covers 60%, my own sick leave bank covers 40%.

I found that out the first day back at work post-op. I called it a day at 6 hours (exhausted, too!), went to my PCP's office and had them fax required paperwork to the STD carrier that I was to work 20 hours that week. Had to do that for 4 weeks.
Then I went back full-time after that.

My surgeon gave me a letter that allowed me to take 6 to 8 weeks off after surgery. I'm a high school teacher and a normal day is filled with activity, standing on your feet all day and moving to and from 3 different classrooms throughout the day. I had about 5 rehab sessions completed before I went back to work. I took 7 weeks off after surgery. I felt pretty good when I returned to the classroom. However, after getting up at 5:30 a.m. I found myself going to bed by 8:30 in the evening for those first two weeks back to school. This past week I have going to bed closer to 10 pm. My colleagues have stated that I look much stronger now than I did that first week back to school. My surgeon stated he had patients returning to a desk job 3 to 4 weeks after surgery. I couldn't see myself doing that. Working just a half day wasn't a good option for me, I went back starting with a full day of school.

I am an owner in a cpa firm so its a desk job. i returned to work 5 weeks after surgical date on a part time basis. my first 8 hour day occurred 8 weeks after the surgical date. My sense is being able to start out part time at work building to full time should be considered. After being away from work for a few weeks plus the fact you just had major surgery, things "feel" different at work and thus being able to ease back in to it was for me at least a good strategy, both mentally and physically.

I am sure you will do well, just don't overdo it at the beginning.

The first op I was a programming contractor and I went back to work after 2 weeks, 4 hours a day. The next week was 6 hours then 8 hours the 3rd week.

For the second op I'm shooting for 4 weeks, but my job is sitting and typing. Guess it depends on the occupation.

Holly molly! You are amazing - I couldn't even think about going back that soon.

My job is pretty much desk most of the time. It just depends what is happening if I need to walk to other areas around the campus (we have over 4000 employees on our site so there can be a bit of walking about).

Thanks all for your replies. I am starting cardiac rehab in two weeks 3x/week and it is about 30 minutes from my home. I was thinking of talking to my boss about working some modified hours at around 8 weeks since I need to travel out of town for rehab. I think they will be agreeable I just don't know if they will continue to pay the disability. It sounds like that would be a great way to ease back into work.

Thanks again!

Latest posts

Back