when I breathe in

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CA Pigg

Today when I take a dee breath it hurts in my lower back.. This just started today..... Anyone else have this happen??

Carole,

My entire back hurt like crap for several weeks after my AVR. Are you scheduled for a follow-up appt. with your surgeon or cardiologist? If so, ask them about it. I am of course no medical expert but I think sometimes it can mean there may be fluid in the lungs. If you starting getting short of breath, you may need to see your doctor ASAP or go to an ER.

Karl

I go back Friday to the surgeon.. It is for sure when I breathe in deep. It hasn't done thins until today... It is only the right side bottom of back. I'm not short of breath, but it does have me worried.....

I had it bad for a week or so after surgery and then once in a while here and there. I don't know why I have the pain but I think it was sitting in one place for a long time. I hope you feel better and you should ask a doctor.

Breathing

Breathing

Hi Carole,

Did they give one of those nifty devices to encourage you to exercise your lungs and get the fluid out of them after surgery? The terminology for the device escapes me. They sent me home with two and instructions for frequent use. I kept one at home and another at work.

-Philip

I had pain with deep breaths for quite awhile (a few months). Sometimes it was in back, sometimes in front, as well as either on my left or right side. If I took one deep breath, it hurt pretty bad, but if I took a second, it was quite a bit better. Since you're already going to the Dr. on Friday, it's worth a mention.

Hi Carole,

Did they give one of those nifty devices to encourage you to exercise your lungs and get the fluid out of them after surgery? The terminology for the device escapes me. They sent me home with two and instructions for frequent use. I kept one at home and another at work.

-Philip

I think the name is incentive speronmeter. I hated the darn thing but my RN wife made sure I used it:). There is a valid reason for being told to use it. but it sure hurt for a while.

Karl

My recommendation is to call Dr. McGiffin's office, tell them about this lower back pain, and ask what they think you should do. Alternatively, there should be someone (M.D.) on-call for afterhours calls.

'AL Capshaw'

Yep, I've been using my spirometer, I still have a ways to go with it.. I'd say it is above the hip bone, seems in the middle of the right side.. It is only when I breathe deep, it kind of shoots a pain in there.

Carole,

I had it for about a week and also on my right side. My pulmonologist said it was fluid and to use my spirometer as often as possible. I even made a follow up appt with my pulmonologist for Friday just to check my lungs, etc.

I was so messed up they kept a team of pulmonary docs on my case until discharge.

He put me on breathing treatments for 3 days and it really helped me alot. I did 3 to 4 per day.

Carole,

I had it for about a week and also on my right side. My pulmonologist said it was fluid and to use my spirometer as often as possible. I even made a follow up appt with my pulmonologist for Friday just to check my lungs, etc.

I was so messed up they kept a team of pulmonary docs on my case until discharge.

He put me on breathing treatments for 3 days and it really helped me alot. I did 3 to 4 per day.

That makes me feel better... I've been doing the spirometer extra today and will keep it up... I put a call in to mcGiffin at 6 with the after hours number but I haven't heard anything from him... I go see him Friday, I hope it gets here soon... i get my blood checked again tomorrow, hopefully it is right! It seems all my issues are on the right side!! I hope we both have good doctor visits Friday!!!

Girl, it seems it is all these things that make this surgery so bad. I am sitting here right now just going bezerk with my shirt touching my incision. It isn't even the sternum incision...it is another incision they had to make for tubes to go in to evacuate my heart or something to that effect.

I have never never been a complainer and now I feel like a whining witch.

Do any of these stitches come out or do these things just dissolve?

I feel like I was sent home not knowing anything.

I agree with you... I am usually not a complainer and I have a high pain tolerance but I'm sitting here whining about my arm/shoulder rubbing the heating pad on it. I feel the same as you a whining witch is a very good description, LOL!!! It really does suck!! I can't wait until we are all healed up and all these aches, pains, and itching is all gone!!!! I just wonder how long we actually have!!! I hope Friday comes soon!! I'm thinking about ya!!!

Oh my stiches are supposed to dissolve, since they didn't tell you anything I bet yours are supposed to as well. I'd ask him for sure!! I'm going to take a list to ask him, I know he needs to check my lungs again and my abdomen is still very swollen, I thougt it would be down by now but nope, like a little baby is in there and that is impossible. That happened the 2nd time I was given plasma, just all of a sudden I had a pouch and I still have bruises on my tummy from where they were giving me shots, gosh I hated those shots.......

My Surgeon's Resident (student) told me to use the incentive spirometer for 10 minutes every 2 hours I was awake. I would 'push' until I could actually feel the fluid being pushed out of the cavity between my lungs and chest wall.

Since you have not heard back from the message you left for Dr. Mc, you may want to consider calling his office this morning. Someone there should answer and be able to put you in touch with someone who can help such as his Surgical Assistant or CRNP.

Yep, make a written list of all your questions and don't let him go until you have them all answered :) (He's usually pretty good about answering questions)

Good Luck!

Girl, it seems it is all these things that make this surgery so bad. I am sitting here right now just going bezerk with my shirt touching my incision. It isn't even the sternum incision...it is another incision they had to make for tubes to go in to evacuate my heart or something to that effect.

I have never never been a complainer and now I feel like a whining witch.

Do any of these stitches come out or do these things just dissolve?

I feel like I was sent home not knowing anything.

It depends what stitched you are talking about and what the surgeon did to close you. , the incision or chest tube? IF you were glued as your main incision, there are dissolving sutures under it that you can not see. IF you see stitches they most likely need to be removed, also the chest tube stitches might need to be snipped out if they used them

Back