When/How did you know your sternum had healed?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jackie, the real tradegy in all of this was a fear of not being able to lift my granddaughter ....BUT the joy is that I am alive and now look after not only my Madison now five but have another,Paige who was born :angel:Sept 8, 2008, one year post losing my sternum. I now look after them at "grampa daycare" and I am VERY blessed to be here to do so.

Attachments

• Picture 209.jpg
    Picture 209.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 128
At 3 months I felt really good, but honestly, it was 12 months before I stopped feeling better than I had the month before! Each month from the third on out,
I believed I was completely healed, only to feel better retrospectfully. That's not a bad thing when you think about it. Be patient, you'll be better than before
in no time at all.

greg, what beautiful granddaughters! thanks for sharing! i can imagine the fear you had. i had fear of not being able to hold them and its just for a short time. but you are right, look you are alive to see them grow!

Im a newbie!!!!!! Thank you to you all -for all the posts ( I think I have read thousands of them). It has helped very much. Not sure how to navigate the site very well yet.

July 21st surgery - AVR and Stuff. I hope I can count on all of you after the surgery.
I promise to get better at this site!!

thanks Andy.....hopefully Gil will see this and comment........i did mention the clicking but after examining me and palpating my chest ...the doctor said all looked and felt ok...and it had looked ok on the Xrays..mike

Michael,

I may not be typical as regards to the sternum closure.

I am not sure if i also have sternum wire closure (probably do), but I do know that i have bone cement/Kryptonite glue and to my knowledge i may be the only member on VR.org with this feature for sternum closure.
From what i can tell, i have been blessed with an easy recovery from OHS, maybe abnormally rapid recovery....the Kryptonite glue may have been a heavy contributor, by allowing me good movement very quickly.
I have been solid on the sternum from within days of surgery and have never felt any bone movement. In the early days I believe any discomfort I had, was tissue healing. Bone healing was probably done by the time i was out of ICU at less than 24 hours post surgery.
Because bone was likely quickly healed, i required little pain meds, from day 3 on, as was likely only dealing with tissue healing, which i called discomfort, no real pain to speak of from day 3 on.
Sleeping on side or stomach has been possible since about week 4.
I refrained from doing heavy lifting initially, but heavy doors were never an issue and have been lifting watering cans, probably 20-25 lbs each...for mny weeks already carefully at first, but it was a non issue.
Cardiologist had told me before surgery to expect 50% sternum solidity at 6 weeks and 100% at 12 weeks, if no sternum cement.

Gil

It is now 2014 and this article was great. Totally helped me understand my process at week 7. Thank you all if you still happen to get comments on this thread. Very helpful for those of us new to the surgery/healing process

I would definitely adhere to the 3 month rule ...

I'm 6 months out & back to being able to do slow-burn pushups.
Adrock - you do slow-burn ? You mean as in Frederick Hahn ?

I do 'slow-burn' or 'superslow' weight lifting. I am nearly six months from surgery. When I did dumbbell fly today I felt a certain 'sting' in my lower sternum, but I'd just upped the weights so I guess it was a tad too much - I know this means lower the weight ! We have to listen to our bodies and dumbbell fly certainly puts a big strain on the sternum so I was pushing that. No problem with chest or shoulder press or biceps curls :)

Adrock - you do slow-burn ? You mean as in Frederick Hahn ?

I do 'slow-burn' or 'superslow' weight lifting. I am nearly six months from surgery. When I did dumbbell fly today I felt a certain 'sting' in my lower sternum, but I'd just upped the weights so I guess it was a tad too much - I know this means lower the weight ! We have to listen to our bodies and dumbbell fly certainly puts a big strain on the sternum so I was pushing that. No problem with chest or shoulder press or biceps curls :)

I do DDP Yoga pushups ... probably something similar ... lower for a 3, 5 or 10 count, hold for the same & repeat ... my chest is just now starting to not be sore afterwards, so I can tell I'm building that muscle back up ...

Latest posts

Back