What would the major headings of a good plan include?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Les Hazelton

All the comments about have a good plan and stick to it have me wondering where my plan could be better...

Besides these, what else?

What to bring (not much)
Whom to bring
Who will handle the PR for "my people" (Using CarePages)
Make a reasonable effort to understand the procedure, then trust the team
Determine my valve preference and lifestyle impact
Focus on the joys I will return to
Arrange the furniture for comfort on return
Plan the ride home
Pre-pack a bag for the ride home
Accept help - Let people who've offered help know that yes, thanks you, I may be calling
Pencil and paper for breathing-tube-time
Goals for things to do while recovering at home
Goals for returning to work (without over-committing)
Follow the rehab regimen as faithfully as possible
Have faith
Let the experience change me

Pyjamas with buttons. I tended to be the type that wore PJ bottoms with Tshirts. Pull over stuff is difficult (painfull) to get on and off while the sternum is healing. Same goes for shirts.

Vehicles. It's recomended that you stay away from airbags. And trucks and SUVs can be dificult to climb in and out of. If you own a 4 door sedan and you can ride in the back seat your set yout all set. Otherwise you might think about borrowing or renting a car.

Sounds like you are doing well with your planning. Have you checked the stickies at the top of the pre and post op forums? What to take to the hospital, how to prepare the house etc? There is alot of good info to look thru and see what you would fine helpful. Especially since you live alone, setting things up around the house to make things as easy a easy for you as possible, things like having things on the counter in the kitchen like dishes pots etc that you would need to stretch high for or bend low to get out etc.
Since your son who will be staying with you needs to work, you might want to set up a schedual of who can stay with you the first couple days home at least until you are sure you can take care of things by yoursef while he is working. Also I find it helpful to specificately ask people to do things, when they offer to "help" since many want to help but have no idea what. Things you can ask ahead of time that you know could help and is easy is ask people to bring meals, some people even have set up a schedual and have friends family fill in a day they will take care of, or if you need help with your lawn ...rdes to appts
There are some good threads, people have started who live alone, I'll see if I can find them and post it here.
I think it is good you'll be setting up a care type page, they really help be sure to post a link here so we can get the updates.

How far will your ride home be? If it is longer than a couple hours away, you might want to make plans to stay in the area a day or so after you are discharged.

Last edited:
And trucks and SUVs can be dificult to climb in and out of. If you own a 4 door sedan and you can ride in the back seat your set yout all set. Otherwise you might think about borrowing or renting a car.

Unless you're tall. Then ducking down into and up out of a sedan can be rather challenging. Much easier just to sit down in a van or truck.

You might want to ask if they will be giving you a 'cough pillow'. If not, make sure you have one waiting for you in the car when you ride home. Coughing or sneezing can be a painful experience for the first couple of weeks without one. The suggestion by Lynlw to read through the stickies in the pre and post op sections is a good one. I rwad one several times as I preapred, it helped a lot.

Latest posts

Back