What to take to Hospital?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know it is mentioned elsewhere, but I highly recommend a personal music device loaded with a variety of music. I'm not much of a meditator, but somebody gave me some meditative flute music and it was VERY relaxing. I got it going right away in the ICU ... I think it made a real difference.

I loved the idea of the hospital puzzles, but I swear that I am going to go buy them some better options! Too much blue sky!

Bring a couple of loved ones! I know this is obvious, but ... wow, did it help to have my parents, my wife, my brother and my two-year old there. That said, I had my wife set up with an e-mail distribution list. She sent out a couple updates after the surgery, and I had her politely ask people to NOT visit me in the hospital. I just wasn't in the mood/condition to host folks, I was never quite sure what my schedule would be (sleep, doc visits, etc.). Of course, a few people ignored my request, and ... I hate to say it ... but I REALLY didn't appreciate their visit.

I so agree about the visitor bit. Aside from my closest of family (DH) and two others, I didn't want to see anyone. I asked DH to please make it clear to everyone, their prayers and good wishes were greatly appreciated but their presence at the hospital was not. I would wait to see them after I got home. I find hospital visitors to be exhausting...... even when it is something far less serious than OHS.

Surgery on April 20

Surgery on April 20

Hello llewis34 I too am having surgery for a bicuspid aorta valve replacement on April 20! Cant' wait! I'm having the surgery in Southern California. I was told to bring a robe and slippers. (They told me to hold off on the running shoes, at least for a couple weeks!) I found out about my bad valve in August 2005. It just so happened the day after I found out, I had a trip planned to climb Mt. Whitney. I climbed Mt. Whitney (14, 494 feet) with no problem. Today ( 2years later) it's a different story. Im only 45 and I can barely mow my lawn before I get tired! After the surgery I've got my list ready for the next 1000 adventures!

You go Jimbo!

You go Jimbo!

I like your attitude!

It's certainly one of those things that is GOOD to have in your past!

I also cut off my hair, finger nails, and toe nails.
I had an overnight bag: Slippers, socks, undies, comb, toothbrush/paste, gum, chap stick for lips, peppermints, paper/pen, wet wipes, moisture cream.
Hubby stayed every day (16 of em) and brought me honey/bran muffins.
I did not want any visitors....too disturbing, too many germs.
My friend sent her pastor from church which was a "blessing":D

I did alot of the same. I wore the clothes in that I was going to wear home. My surgery was scheduled for first thing in the morning so I did not have the clothes on long at all. I brought personal hygiene items and for those women whom have not gone through menopause, be ready because stress can bring on menstration even if it is not time. I also asked my friends and co-workers to not visit me in the hospital, only family. Well, some were going to visit but I didn't stay in the hospital long enough. Surgery Friday and home by noon on Monday.

Good luck and my prayers are with you!!

I had to laugh when I read the link to the earlier thread on the topic. It mentioned bringing bras. I admit that I'm pretty flat chested but it was a couple months before I was comfortable wearing a bra. That was the last thing I wanted in the hospital or at home! :eek:

Germs!!!

Germs!!!

Some of the posts reminded me... Before I left for the hospital, I posted a polite sign in an extremely visible window near the front door of my home that read something like: "Please, no ill visitors. Thank you."

Latest posts

Back