What to do with children during surgery?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vhmoriarty

I have two small children (6 and 2) and will be having AVR on 11/13. I want my mother, sister and husband to be there. But I dont know who I could ask to watch my children. I think it would be stressful for my 2 year old to be in a waiting room all day. I am going to send my son to school that day. But not sure what to do with my girl.

Both sets of grandparents are not going to be there they live out of town. My mother is the only one, and of course I am her baby.

All my other family members work.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Do you have a good friend that your son & daughter feels comfortable with? Take under the consideration of them spending the night (or a few nights) at your house.

The ones that know the combination with my daughter, lol. work. I am sure they will be able to take them after work but its the whole during surgery thing I am worried about cause I know all my family is going to be stressing and I have three advocates that all know my drills if anything happens and they will all be there. SO i may just have to pack a trunk full of toys and pray for the best. This is one of the stressers that has been laying on me for over a week now.

So, what your saying is that your friends work and will not be able to stay with your daughter during the day - so of course that won't work.

If I may, without sounding rude, tell you a small story?

Okay, like it or not here it is:
When my father-in-law died, my sister asked if there was "anything" she could do. My son was 3yrs old and my sister really felt the need to go to the funeral.

I kindly said to her that the biggest help she could give me was to look after my son the day of the funeral. My sister didn't know all the drills with my son, but it was one for one day and one less thing to worry about. It was the biggest gift of generosity my sister could have given me during that time of need.

you're going to be surgery for something like six hours (or thereabouts), then they
send you off to icu where you'll be asleep for another 12 hours or so. there's really
no need for the whole clan to be hanging around the waiting room for that long.
have them stop by before they wheel you off, then send them all home...maybe
just have one standing by at the hospital if you really need someone there.

but not the kids. c'mon, you're worried about the stress on a 2-year old? think
about the stress on all the other patients' family members sharing the waiting room
with a (potentially) hyperactive, crying child, running around, throwing toys, etc.

the child doesn't know what's happening. if the unlikely event there's a surgical
problem, the child won't be able to come see you. if all goes well, 2-year-olds
won't be let into the icu ward anyway. your 6-year-old probably will be aware
of what's happening, so school may be a bad idea.

how about after they send you off, have mom and sister take the kids to the park?
or ice cream and a transformers movie?

If my sister was going into surgery, I would want to help her and hopefully take some of the stress out of the whole thing, by doing something practical.....like.......taking her kids for a few days:)
Freddie and Chou are right - your children won't be allowed at the hospital initially anyway - so why not ask your sister to keep them for a couple of days till surgery is done and you are out of ICU at least?

Honestly, this is just my humble opinion, but I think that 2 advocates are plenty! And you will want to be comfortable in the knowledge that your kids are safe with someone they know and trust - it'll be one less thing to worry about leading up to your admission.

Good luck! Keep us posted.

Valerie, There is no way I would subject a 2 year old, or the people who are watching her, to an all day wait in a hospital waiting room. I agree with the others, there is no need for your entire family to be at the hospital waiting. There is nothing they can do there. They won't be able to see you for probably 8 hours after they take you back, minimum. That's just too long for a 2 year old to keep it together. It will give you much needed peace of mind to know that she is at home, comfortable and being looked after. Someone needs to step up to the plate and volunteer to stay at home with her. Whoever is at the hospital can call with updates.

I don't know where you live in Knoxville, but St. Mary's is pretty centrally located and not a far drive from most places there. They could even switch off at some point during the day if they want to.

If you are insistant that she go to the hospital with you, you may want to check with them first. The hospitals here have prohibited any children under the age of 18 from coming to the hospital to help slow the spread of flu to others.

I hope you can find a solution that makes you comfortable.

Kim

Thanks guys. Yeah I have had tons of people asking what they could do. My hubby to be said he would come down and then leave with my daughter since we only live about 10 mins away, but I feel bad and dont want him and my mother and sister arguing over who needs to stay. I guess that is what I am anxious about. They all want to be at the hospital.

I think that Im going to get up around 3am and go see my mother and sister and then go to the hospital since they will be keeping my son until school time. That way they are not pushed to get there.

Im just trying to get everything ready and there just isnt anyone to keep my daughter unless my sister who is 25, and never had children, and would gag at a dirty diaper would help, lol

Val, your husband and you make the decisions....there should be no arguing with Mom and Sis during this stressful time.
My opinion is that HE should be at the hospital, and your Mom and Sis can watch the kids.
YOU won't need tending to, you will be knocked out. The kids NEED Mom and Sis. :)

Val, your husband and you make the decisions....there should be no arguing with Mom and Sis during this stressful time.
My opinion is that HE should be at the hospital, and your Mom and Sis can watch the kids.
YOU won't need tending to, you will be knocked out. The kids NEED Mom and Sis. :)

I completely agree with this! My kids were 4 and 6 when I had my surgeries. My memory is foggy on the details but my mom mostly had the kids, then she and my husband and sister took turns but were able to work it out on their own. Once you are in there and you aren't able to direct everyone, they will manage to work together to make sure your kids are taken care of and where they need to be! Also agree with NO hospital for the 2 yr. old. Best of luck.

I offically have my 6 year old taken care of. He is spending the weekend with family and they are taking him to school.

My mom and sister are going to take care of my daughter (2) and switch off with my husband every 4 hours. So that everyone can be there to twittle their thumbs...ugh.

I have two small children (6 and 2) and will be having AVR on 11/13. I want my mother, sister and husband to be there. But I dont know who I could ask to watch my children. I think it would be stressful for my 2 year old to be in a waiting room all day. I am going to send my son to school that day. But not sure what to do with my girl.

Both sets of grandparents are not going to be there they live out of town. My mother is the only one, and of course I am her baby.

All my other family members work.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Valerie,

When I had my surgery in August, my dad and wife came, and my mom and sister-in-law stayed with the kids. I can understand wanting your mother there, but for me it was a way to keep her mind on something else and also help my wife. My father was torqued up too. My wife was fine!

So just a suggestion would be to keep one of your three advocates at home if the hospital isn't too far away.

I will pray for you. I am 31 but had to have surgery because of my aneurysm, my valve actually was in good condition.

Have you done the usual 'Legal What If's'?

Medical Power of Attorney
Limited Power of Attorney (for non-medical issues)
Living Will
Regular Will

etc.

'AL Capshaw'

When I was pregnant with my daughter. I did the Advance Care Plan, Changed beneficarys (still had my late husband) on them. and made a living will.

I dont really have enough for a will as I have found out. But my family more than my immediate know all of my wishes towards, burial, funeral, organ donation.

So yes I think Im pretty good. I got all the papers out today and sent them to emails and am taking them to the hospital with me, although they probally still have them from the last time.

In the Hospital where I had my AVR no visitors were allowed until the next morning
But I guess we do things a bit different in France.

valerie- sounds like you have good plan. i have a 4 and 7 yr old- i agree with others- no hospital visits til you are out of icu. i had my mom, my husband with me before the surgery and kids were with husband's parents. my best friend joined my mom and hsuband at hospital the following day to do shifts... good luck!

What happened during my emergency OHS was that Laura first contacted a family friend Audrey, and called up my mother in California. My mother flew up from there and Audrey picked up Jane (then 4 years old) and then my mother from the airport. KC my son was dropped off by the school bus and my mother was there to take care of both kids while I was gone. Some family friends came by to help with the animals. My father, only two months after his own emergency life-flight from a burst aneurism in his right leg, came out and helped my mother with the snow and ice.

Meanwhile, Laura stayed in the hospital with me, and occasionally called home with updates on my ever increasingly positive progress. Not having the kids there made it so Laura could concentrate on being there for me. Funny thing is that the only other time she and I got to spend uninterrupted time together was when she went to Salt Lake city for some stomach surgery, and I went with her, while my mother took care of Jane and KC. It seems that the only way we've had a chance to get to be alone together is when one of us has some serious hospitalization-level medical needs.

Kids would likely just get either bored (if they don't understand the situation) or terrified (if they do). In my opinion, the children should not visit Mom or Dad for at least the first week following OHS. You (the OHS patient and SO) are under a lot of stress from the recent trauma and probably can't handle any more stress. My own experience bore this out. While I missed the kids, I was also relieved at not having to deal with their intense needs and emotions while I myself was getting used to the shocking fact of my own OHS. I trusted my mother to take good care of them, and she did just fine. Despite my parents being divorced over 20 years ago, they worked together quite nicely, and even spent Christmas together at our house in an amicable way. Neither has remarried, so there weren't any step-parent difficulties to deal with.

My advice is to keep the number of people present with the OHS patient to the absolute minimum possible. A special friend, one parent, or spouse should stick around, and everybody else wait for the homecoming. Even then, keep the crowds down (unless you're a rabid extrovert and thrive in large groups) and limit visitors to one at a time outside of immediate family. You (the OHS patient especially) will know when you're ready for more. Even then, keep it limited.

One funny thing happened when I went back to one group. I am a member of the National Speleological Society (a caver group which works for cave exploration and conservation) and the local chapter, called a "grotto", held its annual Christmas party right about the day of my OHS. In January 2008, I asked Laura to take me to the meeting, and the president, a good friend who is aware of my punning and word-play, said, "Well, here it comes..."

I said, "I thought I really wanted to go to the Christmas banquet, but I guess my heart just wasn't in it." :D I can still remember the groans and a few chuckles. Before the first hour of the meeting was done, I was done and asked Laura to drive me back home. It was the same with my rock and gem club, though I didn't inflict the same warped gallows humor on them. As I felt better, I was able to handle being around more and more people, so by March, I was able to handle dealing with the public with my rock and gem club's annual show.

I hope you get something useful out of this, and wish you well on your AVR surgery.

Chris

I'm not sure if they'd do it where you are. But when I had my surgery, they took my dad's cell phone number and they called him with updates so they weren't bound to the waiting room. Perhaps that'll be a bit more helpful if they do end up having to take your daughter with them to the hospital?

Back