What should I expect from pre- op?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sheridan07

I have pre op next thursday and I wonder what wonderful things will they do to me? I know I have to do another ultrasound on my legs but what else? I read some horror stories along with some funny stories about hospital stays. Any more advice would be great?

Thanks,
Brian

It depedns on the hospital, but most likely you'll have blood work, Xrays, the ultrasound maybe an echo, talk to the surgeon or a fellow, talk to anesesia, some places have a video to watch.

there's also the heart catheter, and you'll be shaved. don't know how much, but
i had the complete de-hair treatment....from neck to toes. why shave my toes?
only things not shaved were eyebrows and popo.

They don't tell you this bit

They don't tell you this bit

Hi there. I'm assuming pre-ops are pretty average world wide...

Here in the UK you have bloods taken, talk to surgeon, anaetheologist, height, weight etc. We also have swabs taken to check for MRSA. This is a cotton bud between the legs and up your nose.......(Not the same cotton bud I hasten to add) :eek:
The one up the nose really makes your eyes water.
We also got to see the different valves and touch them etc and ask questions.

Hope all goes well

Lotti

Thank you. I had a heart cath and two echo's along with a TEE in the last 3 months so I will still have a heart cath and echo done? What is a cotton bud? I understand bloodwork, maybe chest x-ray, doppler ultrasound, and talk to staff. They shave your body 5 days ahead of time? What is cotton bud between legs? Is that a " moon river" lol?
Thanks for your answers!
Brian

Brian, they won't redo the cath if you had one at the same place, or they will give you a heads up. The echo depends, sometimes they redid Justin's echo and others didn't. When they did his dopple US of his groin they also did his neck. I don't believe they will shave you until the or day

I think they meant like a swab or q tip

Thanks Lyn! I don't want to go for another Heart Cath. The Doctor who did mine did not wait for the numbing to take place in my leg and started. I felt every inch of that cut he made. Swab of the mouth and nose is not bad. Thanks for helping.

Brian

If you have to have another echo done, ask if they can do it in the wrist.That's how I got mine done but I think I'm the only one here that had it done in the wrist.
Not sure how they determine when to go to the wrist or not, but its something you can ask about.

If you have to have another echo done, ask if they can do it in the wrist.That's how I got mine done but I think I'm the only one here that had it done in the wrist.
Not sure how they determine when to go to the wrist or not, but its something you can ask about.

I think you mean cath

The heart catheterization is where you're on the lab xray table and they take a live action image of dye being injected either into your LV or your blood vessels via a thin tube in your wrist or groin.

An echo is the ultra sound of your heart either Trans-Thoracic (your chest) or Trans-Esophageal (your stomach)...

The heart catheterization is where you're on the lab xray table and they take a live action image of dye being injected either into your LV or your blood vessels via a thin tube in your wrist or groin.

An echo is the ultra sound of your heart either Trans-Thoracic (your chest) or Trans-Esophageal (your stomach)...

Boy did I screw-up BIG time Sheridan, so sorry. You are both right. I was thinking of my angio and said echo instead. So let me try again if I may;
angio was done in the wrist and was not at all painful.

I think I was told that there are some doctors that like using the wrist and others that prefer the groin (maybe it also depends on the patient). I really wish I could have had it in the wrist. The six hours of lying with my leg straight, and not being able to pee in a bedpan was a nightmare! The cath procedure itself was easy.

Boy did I screw-up BIG time Sheridan, so sorry. You are both right. I was thinking of my angio and said echo instead. So let me try again if I may;
angio was done in the wrist and was not at all painful.

Thank you for your help. I get things mixed up all the time. I knew what you were saying.

My pre-op was pretty simple. Blood work, urine, chest x-ray, physical exam by PA, and consult with anethesia.

I had my TEE and Cath in the several weeks prior to surgery. I was so lucky that both were very easy and pain free for me.

My pre-op was just blood and urine samples, lots of paper work, a briefing on what to expect (including a couple of videos), how to use the spirometer, and meeting with various memebers of the medical staff and surgical team. I also met with a volunteer "survivor" who told me about his experience with OHS. No echo or cath. As I was at a university teaching hospital, there were also several student reps who came to explain any studies that were going on to see if I'd sign a release to be part any if appropriate.

Back