What machine do you use?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kristian

I'm frankly surprised that such a thread hasn't been started...maybe this isn't that type of crowd :)

Anyway, I was given three machines as suggestions. ProTime 3, Coagcheck...and another I can't remember off the top of my head. I went with the first on my list - the ProTime 3. I was the very first to buy one from the Mayo, apparently, and I couldn't find anyone locally that would even order it for me (too expensive). Literally everywhere I've been - the ER, my PCP, even the Mayo - the reaction has been, "they make home machines for that?"

It does make my chest puff up a bit (I like to be a bit different than the rest, haha). But I do see other people here with home machines...

So what do you use? Any problems/benefits?

I use the ProTime 3, no problems. I find the stick to generally be very tolerable and, while expensive ($13 a test!) as long as I keep the cuvette and "tenderlet" (best name ever for the one thing that hurts) in the fridge I'm good for nearly a half a year per box. Insurance paid 80% of both the supplies and the machine, which made it affordable and valuable (better than heading to the docs every week).

It seems like many of you have the Coagcheck. Any reason? I'm curious!

As a new user of home testing, the Coaguchek XS was suggested to me by other Canadian members. The machine itself was $499.00 plus 10% tax. My total bill including strips and lancets was around $768.58.

My Cardio had the same response in regards of a such a machine was available and gave me the prescription (something that we need here in Canada) to get one.

Have I had any problems.........well no, not with the machine, just my own stupidity. :eek:

I have the INRatio and have been using it for a few years now. It is small, easy to use and the strips do not require refrigeration. I had no resistance from my cardio and the PCP I started seeing about a year ago thought home testing was really cool. He even has his father doing home testing now.

Kristian:

This thread comes and goes here.

I started with a ProTime 3 in November 2003 and in April 2008 went to a HemoSense INRatio.

The ProTime 3 was good. However, the one I had was larger than the INRatio or CoaguChek. I flew with it, but it was kinda bulky in my overnight tote bag. And heavy.

Because others here had gotten the INRatio and liked it, I got that for my 2nd machine. It's small enough to travel with and I like the replaceable batteries. Also, don't have to keep the strips refrigerated.

I bought both machines from QAS...... Insurance covered first one 100%. The INRatio was covered at about 60% after my co-pay and "fair and equal" price or whatever Aetna calls it. (Funny how 80% DME coverage drops down to 60%!)

I LOVE my INRatio. Would not go back to testing at doctor's office.

My story is similar to Marsha's. Had the ProTime 3, now have the INRatio. MUCH easier to test on the INRatio!

I'm using the INRatio. It's small, compact, slightest amount of blood needed for sampling and their support people are beyond anything imaginable. I had a problem one time with my blood that kept throwing off an error during testing. I had 3 phone calls from Hemosense within 4 hours from 3 different people. They paid for me to go to the lab and get tested and found that my hematocrit was out of range, which lead to the errors. They even replaced the used test strips. Needless to say, I have no problem recommending them.

I'm frankly surprised that such a thread hasn't been started...maybe this isn't that type of crowd :)

Anyway, I was given three machines as suggestions. ProTime 3, Coagcheck...and another I can't remember off the top of my head. I went with the first on my list - the ProTime 3. I was the very first to buy one from the Mayo, apparently, and I couldn't find anyone locally that would even order it for me (too expensive). Literally everywhere I've been - the ER, my PCP, even the Mayo - the reaction has been, "they make home machines for that?"

As to why medical professionals may not know about INR testers being available for home use, my guess is:

1. They don't deal on a continuing basis with mechanical valve patients (other than in the hospital immediately post-op).
2. Their field doesn't encompass anticoagulation therapy management.
3. They have never taken any CE courses that have mentioned ACT.
4. No patients have inquired about home testers.
5. The warfarin patients in their practice consist primarily of those on ACT short-term or they're too senile to be competent enough to handle self-testing on their own (although someone else could certainly do it for them).
6. They don't read any related professional journals.
7. They believe that the only good INR test is a lab test. Even though they know that some doctors do have POC machines, their practice wouldn't be caught dead using one.
8. Perhaps companies that produce INR testers for home use have not promoted those products among the general medical profession. Reason: rate of return on such advertising might not be sufficient to justify cost.
There are probably many more reasons, I'm sure.

I started out with the HemoSense INRatio I about a year ago. Last week I upgraded to the INRatio II due to it's smaller size. Both work extremely well and the fact that no refrigeration is needed for the strips is a big plus. However, it's my understating CoaguChek has redesigned their system to eliminate the cold strip storage issue and have added some *on strip* quality/calibration checks...just like HemoSense. Both systems arrive at the same reading (+ or -) but they use very different methods of calculating such.

FYI, I recently contacted HemoSence inquiring about their printer port interface. I received a very detailed and concise response back within hours. Great customer service, IMHO!

This has been posted about ad nauseum for a long while. I am on Coaguchek XS, I like it, very hard to learn without getting lots of error messages at first. Expensive. Better than driving 2 hrs one way, better than going to coumadin clinic at $25 a week.

This has been posted about ad nauseum for a long while. I am on Coaguchek XS, I like it, very hard to learn without getting lots of error messages at first. Expensive. Better than driving 2 hrs one way, better than going to coumadin clinic at $25 a week.

Colleen, there should not be any error msgs at first if your instructor was patient.
One drop of blood put near the side of the strip is all it takes.
The XS is fully automatic with built in QC. EAsy as pie.:)

Latest posts

Back