What kind of valve?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lisou

Hi everyone I'm going for surgery very soon, decided on mechanical valve, surgeon says he always uses St-Judes, but I was reading about On-X but surgeon didn't mention that one, just read about it, he has been practising for 22 years, and he says he's always used St-Judes what do you think St-Judes or On-X??

I have one personal experience to share with you in regard to this. One surgeon (one of three) we consulted with was insisting on a particular type of valve that we really did not want for me. (We ended up choosing a different surgeon and got a valve we wanted.) Just recently, and it's only five years later, I have heard, from one of that other surgeon's newer patients, that he doesn't use that type of valve anymore, the one we didn't want. So, surgeons can change their minds and preferences based on experience and research.

Something I read here many years ago which made sense to me was to find an excellent and highly recommended surgeon and tell him what you want and why and then see what he recommends for you and why. Can you take a trusted family member or friend with you to the consult? It is helpful because there is so much information to take in on an important consult like that.

Reportedly--from what I've read here--both brands you mentioned are good and there are happy members here with either type. Best wishes as you make your decision.

Both valves are excellent. Being a bit conservative I lean towards the St. Jude but the On-X seems to have some great attributes. I would talk to your surgeon and ask him what his thoughts are on the On-X. Ultimately, if you have a surgeon you trust, letting him make the final decision might be best but definitely express your opinions and concerns.

I have had my St. Jude's since 1994, have had no problems and it still is working perfectly.

You won't go wrong with either valve. I went with the On-X based on the research I did and the recommendation of the surgeon. St Jude has a longer track record but the On-X is newer in design and has supposably better flow dynamics. Talk to your surgeon about the On-X, it may just be he is conservative by nature and wants to stick with what he feels is best for you. You should study up however on both valves. There is a clinical study going on that involves the On-X and I know we have several members who are participating in it. The intent of the study is to see how well the On-X performs with reduced amounts of Coumadin. Others Im sure will be along that can give you all the specifics on the study.

Best of luck !

I have a St. Jude. I don't think the On-X was available 10 years ago when I had my surgery, but back then, I didn't even know what to ask for. I let my surgeon decide. If I had it to do over again, I would do the same thing. I want my surgeon to be comfortable with the procedure, and if he has more experience with a particular valve, and wants to use that one, that's fine with me. From what I understand, the On-X might require less Warfarin, but that hasn't been okayed yet. Besides, I know that for me, Warfarin is pretty seamless.

Basically, it's like sewing. There are at least 3 brands of patterns, but I am most comfortable with McCall's. I'm sure there are advantages and disadvantages with all brands, but they all serve the purpose. So I'm going to use McCall's because it suits me best. If my daughter insists on a Simplicity pattern, I might get it, but I won't like it as much.

Talk to your surgeon, but if you are comfortable with him, let him go with what he is most comfortable with.

Thank You everyone, your response means a lot to me, my surgeon seems pretty calm, gave me all the time in the world when I got in the office, answered every single question I had and made sure I was comfortable with everything before I left the office. When he mentioned St-Jude I was quite happy because I've seen this quite a bit on this site and it reassured me, I'm really worried about taking coumadin and when I read about On-X and maybe not having to take coumadin later on it sounded pretty interesting, but from the sound of everybody on here there's nothing to taking coumadin, so it kind of reassured me.

Thank again

Surgeons like to use what they are comfortable with and the St. Jude valve has been around for 30 years. Just about every surgeon knows how to use it.

IF you are interested in using the On-X Valve (introduced in 1996), you could contact the company and ask for an information package that you could share with your surgeon. Contact Catheran Burnett, RN, at [email protected] or 888-339-8000 ext. 265. Have you seen their websites at www.onxvalves.com and www.heartvalvechoice.com ?

Several of our members have been 'first time' On-X recipients for their surgeons. On-X will gladly send a representative to meet the surgeon and explain the differences in 'sizing' and their recommended 'stitching pattern'.

Jody C recently went to Dr. Bove at Univ of Michigan for a redo of a botched surgery in Ohio, requested an On-X Valve 1 week prior to surgery and Dr. Bove gladly accomodated her request. Not all surgeons are so accomodating.

U.S. Heart Valve Manufacturers (alphabetical order; pretty sure this list is complete, if not please advise):

ATS, Mechanical Valves, Headquarters: Minneapolis, MN
www.atsmedical.com

Carbomedics (Sorin Group), Mechanical Valves, Headquarters: Austin, TX
www.carbomedics.com

Edwards, Biological Valves, Headquarters: Irvine, CA
www.edwards.com

Medtronics, Mechanical & Biological Valves, Headquarters: Minneapolis, MN
www.medtronic.com

On-X Life Technologies, Inc., Mechanical Valves, Headquarters: Austin, TX (formerly Medical Carbon Research Institute)
www.onxlti.com www.onxvalves.com www.heartvalvechoice.com

St. Jude, Mechanical and Biological Valves, also Allografts, Headquarters: Minneapolis, MN
www.sjm.com

Note: Biological is simply another name for “Tissue”, and Biological Valves are either Bovine (cow) or Porcine (pig). There are also valves called “Homografts” or “Allografts” that are from cadavers.
Note: Mechanical heart valves today are all the “Bileaflet” design except for the Medtronic mechanical valve, which is the “Tilting Disc” design. In the past there was also the “Ball and Cage” design, but this design is no longer sold in the U.S.
Note: Some of the above also sell products for valve repair (versus valve replacement)

You can find information on the various valves at the above websites. There is also a lot of information on the valvereplacement.com website, particularly in the "Valve Selection" section. The search feature can be used to find older posts.

Good luck!

Iv'e had my St Jude valve for almost eight years. As a previous poster mentioned, the On-X wasn't a choice back then. The biggest decision I had to make was mechanical v. tissue, with my surgeon and cardioloigist both strongly suggesting the mechancial valve.
Mark

If these are your valve choices then you cannot make a wrong decision. It's a win-win situation. :)

Latest posts

Back