What I did on my Holidays - AVR on the NHS

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LeakyUK

Thu 26 May - Admission

Arrive at hospital 3pm. Lots of forms,tests and questions. Most patients are accommodated in 6 bedded rooms, with side rooms reserved for those who are less well. The shower rooms are explained. In accordance with NHS policy they are single sex only, however the signs on the doors are reversable so they can be used by both sexes. Asked my thoughts on the operation there is only one answer - terrified.

Decent 'last supper' before my fast, an antiseptic shower, 2 small sleeping tablets and I am out...

Fri 27 May - Operation

Woken at 6am for BP, blood samples etc (since I cannot eat or drink, and was under the influence of sleeping pills, a longer rest would have been appreciated). My chest is shaved and I take another shower. At 1pm I am given 3 blue sleeping tablets to relax.

Sat 28 May - ICU

A distant voice tells me it is 5.30 am, and I have had my operation (what operation?). I still have the breathing tube and gesture to it frantically. ICU (under morphine) is not what I expected. I settle for it looking like a MASH field hospital with beds and people everwhere - still cannot see faces, but there is a jumble of voices. The breathing tube is out, and I drink some water. Eight hours pass in about 30 minutes. I have a cup of tea. Breakfast is offered, I order Bacon, then throw up into a bowl before it arrives. I attempt to eat toast. This is an unknown species which defies chewing or swallowing. A beaker of water and a toothbrush appear. More water,more tea.

I attempt lunch and am ill again after just a few mouthfulls. The voices talk about a blocked drain (airlock) and pacing wires.

At 2pm I am moved to high dependancy and I am starting to wake up. My wife visits and tells me I look well!! (I am hooked up to a catheter, pacing wires, 2 wide plastic drains, a neck line with multiple inlets and outlets and an oxygen mask. I have an Auto Blood pressure sleeve which contracts every twenty minutes. I am also starting to feel the pain of moving/coughing).

A visit from the surgeon and an explanation that air bubbles in the drain need to be cleared.(nothing to worry about).

Mealtime. I have learned and settle for a yoghourt.

There are 4 patients in the room, the blood oxygen alarms sound every few minutes and are re-set. the auto blood pressure squeezes. Catheters are pulled every 30 minutes. (I think the nurses find this entertaining).The potassium drip is regularly refilled. After 24 hrs sleep there follows a truly unpleasant 24 hours without sleep!

.................... Coming up, the pharmacy and the overnight delay, the search for a power lead,the uncontrolled heating and the truly amazing TV Lady....

Sun 29th May - Escape from HDU

The lights stay on all night, the monitors bleep/alarm all night. No one sleeps. Two bypass patients with heart rythm problems bitterly regret their choice to undergo surgery. The clock moves very slowly. The day shift arrives and breakfast follows (toast and tea). I am in no pain except when I cough - I register that as 8/10. My morphine allowance has ended so I am more into the real world. I am given a quick wash in bed. At about 9am the Duty Dr visits and I beg to be let out. I provide a feeble cough. I am firmly told to cough again, if there is no air bubble in the drain when I cough I can be released to the ward. I cough for England. I provide a gold medal winning cough. I add a supplementary cough. There is no air bubble, I am to be released.

My pacer wires are disconnected from the mains and wrapped up, my neck lines come out, I am freed from the catheter (So far so good and pain free). Now to the drain tubes, I am given a sringe of morphine to drink! The nurses examine the stitches holding in the tubes, my eyes water and its over. Almost human and fully disconnected. Lunch is a tub of pinapple - I am still unsure about food.

nAt 2pm I am moved to normality, a 5 bedded room. I remove the insufferable gown in favour of my own night clothes and relax in the chair by the bed. My wife visits and walks with me to the bathroom, first time up in 48 hrs & I have no problems. I start to eat modestly and 2 senna tablets are added to my nightime menu.

My fellow guests include 2 gents in their eighties who still have limited mobility, a bypass patient who is to be discharged Monday, and a Heart attack victim who is up and about and has been waiting two weeks for his surgery. All are from the North of England and have amazing histories of life in the Durham Coalfields, or the Redcar Steelworks. They also all have very individual Snores! The bed, of course, is too short and with my feet hanging over the end I struggle to get comfortable. It is very hot so I sleep on top of the bedding and stew. I have just one pillow (They are very scarce).

Monday 30th May - Settling In

Today is a UK National Holiday. I am getting used to the routine and my stomach is returning to normal. Taking painkillers every 6 hours. The heat is due to the Sun (It is summer) and the heating being on full - there apparantly are problems with the controls!
Doctors rounds confirm the release of the fully recovered patient opposite & I hatch a plot to steal his pillows. All seems to go to plan, Physio tests are cleared, transport is arranged , but no one has allowed for the pharmacy. Now I know pharmacists do a fine job and have been highly trained to put boxes of tablets into paper bags, but two doctors and three nurses try for 6 hours to persuade them to provide discharge medication with NO success. Discharge is cancelled leading an unneccessary overnight stay (and I have lost my pillows!!) Actually its time for a pillow grumble - and a couple do appear, so I can make myself much more comfortable.

I have an ECG just after a shower, I am exhausted just from getting dresssed and my P wave is extra slow. The ECG is repeated, but just after a huge, painful, coughing fit. Heart rate is erratic and cardioversion is scheduled for Tuesday (Just I am getting my appetite back I am banned food again).

1pm to 3pm is quiet time, I am dozing on top of the bed (topless - displaying my wounds due to the heat) when I detect movement and open my eyes to see the most amazing tall blonde in civilian clothes stretching over me. I am not the subject of attention, the lady is adjusting the overpriced entertainment system over the bed. It is fair to say that five pairs of eyes are now pointed in the same direction! My visitors badge indicates Nutricion Advisor, so TV repair is just a sideline. The next day,however, a proper technician in green overalls moves me out of the way and replaces the set.

Apart from visits to the bathroom I finally have a very good sleep.

Tuesday 31st May - Pre-release

Successes all round. The pharmacy had promised the medication at 8am for the patient due to go home. It arrives at 3pm and he is on his way. Wed surgery is arranged for the guest who has been waiting two weeks, both of the patients in there eighties are getting mobile. I have an ECG which shows my heart rate is back to normal. I have another ECG connected to the pacer wires. All is well, cardioversion is cancelled and the pacing wires come out (Pain free) I also have two more ECG's and the nurse explains the results. Subject to physio,Echo and INR (Must be > 2) I can go home wednesday.

Wed 1st June - Freedom

I pass the physio - two flights of stairs and 5 mins on a bike with no resistance. I pass the echo. My INR has gone from 1.9 to 2.5, I can go home. (My heart rate is still wobbly, metroprolol is stopped pending the 6 week check-up). I phone my wife who is in a panic. The house is being cleaned and disinfected from top to bottom and she is not ready. We agree a 4.30 pm pick up. The last stiches (from the drain lines) are removed as are all dressings. I shower and dress in Day clothes.

The patient in the next bed has gone for surgery and is replaced by another Bypass case fresh from Surgery, he is awake and eating immediately - no 24 hr ICU for bypasses. Unfortunately the battery in his monitor has gone flat and is bleeping. Stores are are asked for a power lead (without response). There are no spare batteries. Three nurses set off on a scavenger hunt until a lead can be found.

I am released about 5.30 pm and head for the cafe for tea and sweet danish pastry.

Heading home in the taxi the windows are fully open. As the car reaches 70 MPH I start to hear wonderful music, the car radio is off. The heavenly music continues for several minutes until the car begins to slow. I look up into the cloudy sky and thank the lord for his welcoming sign. Truly I have been reborn on my 58th birthday.

Latest posts

Back