What food do you like?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
this reminds me that I have to get some pickled beets. I love them. A friend buys canned beets, pours off much of the juice, adds sugar and vinegar, adds back the rest of the beet juice, puts them in a jar in the fridge for a couple days. Delicious.

How do you cook beet greens? We love greens of all sorts but never had beet greens.

The way I had them when I grew up was to cook them with some water until soft, add some butter, salt, a little sugar and a little touch of vinegar. You can also add bacon pieces.

I love beet greens, too. Steamed with a little butter and salt. My grandmother used to make them.

Old, sharp Vermont cheddar is another food favorite.

Best wishes,

How do you cook beet greens? We love greens of all sorts but never had beet greens.

I usually saute them in olive oil, salt and pepper. They're good on their own or sometimes I serve them paired with roasted beets. They also make a nice warm addition to a mixed greens salad. Hmmmm.....now I've got a craving for them.....I think I'm make some this weekend.

we cook other greens (turnip greens, collards, etc) the same way in the south as Nancy posted. I don't even know if we can get beet greens here. I never see them in the veg section. I think we might get the same vitamins, etc, with these as in other greens - maybe moreso. beets are very healthy for us; leaves have to have the same properties.

Some of the foods I hated as a child and love now are raw tomatoes (the dislike for this one lasted until just last year!), okra, avocado, sushi, and asparagus. I also went through a period when I didn't like iced tea, but I'm back to liking it now.

I still don't like peas IN stuff (but I'll eat them alone) or fresh green beans (prefer the canned).

I've ALWAYS loved ice cream (though I don't crave it nearly as often as I did as a kid), cheese cake, mashed potatoes (or ANY potatoes, really), Christmas/Thanksgiving turkey dinner with all the fixin's, shrimp/seafood, burgers, mac 'n' cheese, tamales (though ONLY fresh ones. NEVER canned!)... The list can go on and on.

When I was a kid I could eat anything I wanted and never gain weight. I would have cheese cake for breakfast and not feel one bit guilty. Of course, I was also UNDERweight because of my heart, so the extra calories at that time were probably good for me(?). When graduating high school I believe I was 108 lbs (soaking wet).

When I was 21 I had my ASD and VSD patched, which sent more oxygen into my body. Suddenly I gained weight VERY easily. I've been as heavy as 145 (which I know isn't terrible, but isn't great either). It's hard to resist food. I love the flavors so much and when it's in front of me I can't stop eating. I guess that's why I'm in the throwdown. Keeps a little chimpy voice in the back of my head reminding me to put down the fork! ;)

I don't even know if we can get beet greens here. I never see them in the veg section.

We get the beet greens attached to the beets. Many people just cut off these stems and throw them out as they don't realize they can be eaten, too. The stores here don't just sell the beet greens separately.

Latest posts

Back