What food do you like?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
geebee said:
I hated asparagus growing up because my mom used the canned kind. I love fresh asparagus but didn't know the difference until I was "really growed up".
My experience exactly! Most fresh vegetables that I eat now were noxious poison to me as a child (especially asparagus).

Still never got past chickpeas and lima beans. Nasty, ill-textured things, with imitation cardboard flavor. And I still dislike oily vegetables: olives of all types and avacados are the main antagonists in that group.

I love most sushi and all shellfish, as well as crabs and other edible crustaceans. I draw the line at raw sea urchin roe, which tastes like partially fermented boat-bottom scrapings.

Liver and kidneys should be buried with the host animal. Except, somehow I like liverwurst and Braunshweiger, although I don't eat them anymore because of the phenomenal fat and cholesterol content.

First, last, and always, the finest single food to me is the frozen combination consisting of only cream, sugar, and ground vanilla, called vanilla ice cream. Breyers is a stunning example of that.

Best wishes,

Butterbeans. . .

Butterbeans. . .

sometimes called limas. Buy them unshelled at the farmer's market in season. Shell them, cook them up with a little bacon or ham, they are a delicacy. Nothing like the canned version.

If I could eat one thing every day it would be pizzza. Actually anything cheesy would be great. But valvers can't eat like that. I love spicy stuff too, but it's hell on my stomach about 4 hours later.

I draw the line at raw sea urchin roe, which tastes like partially fermented boat-bottom scrapings.

Oh yeah - I have had uni that tasted like what I think the underside of a dock would taste like. However, very fresh sea urchin is wonderful - truly. If you have a sushi chef that understands what fresh really is when it comes to sea urchin - you will become addicted.

Bonzo, I'm coming to your house. That looks so good.

I love roast goose for Christmas, duck too.

Someone said they hated "okra, rutabagas and cauliflower", that's funny, I love them all and parsnips too. Winter squash, fried peppers, eggplant, broccoli (not cooked too long), asparagus, heirloom tomatoes, sweet corn when it's in season--all great stuff. In season melons are so good.

At another house that I lived in, we had loads of raspberry bushes in the back. They were huge and delicious. Even our bassett hound used to pick off some for himself!

Love lobster, fried clams, scallops.

I also like rice, all kinds, with just some butter and salt.

I have a great bran muffin recipe that I crave sometimes. It's just delicious.

Speaking of muffins, there was a place on Cape Cod called the Wee Packet. They had fresh blueberry muffins to die for, huge and loaded with berrries.

I draw the line at raw sea urchin roe, which tastes like partially fermented boat-bottom scrapings.

An acquired taste and it is very much dependent on freshness, too. The first time I tried it, I didn't like it either. Then I tried it at a really "fine" Japanese restaurant and I've been hooked ever since.

corn - hated it then; hate it now.

went on vacation and corn was in season. I was invited to several homes for dinner - each one served corn; I had to eat it; had to say how delicious it was. What a liar I was!

went on vacation and corn was in season. I was invited to several homes for dinner - each one served corn; I had to eat it; had to say how delicious it was. What a liar I was!

Ann, you're cool. I also HATE corn. I will eat it within a recipe if it's not the main ingredient.

You saying you hate corn reminded me of once when I said at a large picnic, where the main attraction was roasted pig, that I didn't generally like pork. I thought I was going to be ran out of the country! :eek:

Ann, you're cool. I also HATE corn. I will eat it within a recipe if it's not the main ingredient.

You saying you hate corn reminded me of once when I said at a large picnic, where the main attraction was roasted pig, that I didn't generally like pork. I thought I was going to be ran out of the country! :eek:

Pork?:(...Corn?:(....I am speechless.......

Superbob has only hated one food in his entire life: beets. Hated beets back when, hate 'em now.

Everything else edible -- certainly including corn (on the cob, creamed, corn pudding, yum yum yum) -- Superbob will put away in quantity. :D (One big reason he's in Cooker's Throw Down now. :p

and both of us southerners! how shameful we are. Corn and pork are plentiful and part of our heritage.

The creamed kind is especially awful.

when I was little, I was at an aunt's when she was putting up creamed corn - all day. supper time came, we sat down and guess what we had for supper? CORN (or better, called rosinearsJ). that was it! I began to cry softly and Aunt Sister said 'what's the matter, Ann?'. I said very quietly and timidly 'I don't like corn'. She very obligedly went to the neighbor and borrowed some supper for me! She told that story all my life until she died a few years ago.

Superbob has only hated one food in his entire life: beets. Hated beets back when, hate 'em now.

Everything else edible -- certainly including corn (on the cob, creamed, corn pudding, yum yum yum) -- Superbob will put away in quantity. :D (One big reason he's in Cooker's Throw Down now. :p

BEETS:D...love them!!!....DW hates them...will not serve them.....one of the struggles of being in a bi-species marriage :rolleyes::p

and both of us southerners! how shameful we are. Corn and pork are plentiful and part of our heritage.

The creamed kind is especially awful.

when I was little, I was at an aunt's when she was putting up creamed corn - all day. supper time came, we sat down and guess what we had for supper? CORN (or better, called rosinearsJ). that was it! I began to cry softly and Aunt Sister said 'what's the matter, Ann?'. I said very quietly and timidly 'I don't like corn'. She very obligedly went to the neighbor and borrowed some supper for me! She told that story all my life until she died a few years ago.

I thought field corn was the only thing Scarlet could find to eat in GWTW! You're letting the South down you two!

Of course I'm shocked that my friend Tobagotwo doesn't like olives or avacados!:eek::eek: Avacados are love food around this place!;)

Nancy, I like rice with some salt and butter; unfortunately I gave that combination up several years back.:(

And I have to agree with SuperBob regarding beets--Yuck!

If you haven't tried baked beets, you might like them. You just scrub them and bake them in their skin, then slice them and add butter or margarine and a little salt. Baking makes them super sweet.

Ye i'm coming to your house to Bonzo Dog, that looks great.
I don't even know what a beet is?

... and the beets go on.

... and the beets go on.

A little info from Wikipedia about the inedible beet:

The Romans used beetroot as a treatment for fevers and constipation, amongst other ailments. Apicius in De re coquinaria gives five recipes for soups to be given as a laxative, three of which feature the root of beet.[4] Hippocrates advocated the use of beet leaves as binding for wounds.

Since Roman times, beetroot juice has been considered an aphrodisiac. It is a rich source of the mineral boron, which plays an important role in the production of human sex hormones. Field Marshal Montgomery is reputed to have exhorted his troops to 'take favours in the beetroot fields', a euphemism for visiting prostitutes.[5]. From the Middle Ages, beetroot was used as a treatment for a variety of conditions, especially illnesses relating to digestion and the blood. Platina recommended taking beetroot with garlic to nullify the effects of 'garlic-breath'.

No wonder The Chimp loves beets -- they act like prunes and are also an aid in monkeying around! :p:p:p

I was a weird kid - hated bananas and milk but would eat liver and spinach,
now as an adult its just the opposite.The reason is that I had a medicine
that was banana flavored, and in nursery school a teacher unknowingly made me drink spoiled milk:(
And thanks alot to bonzo for all the delicious looking pictures, i mean I am
TRYING to diet , I especially love Yorkshire pudding.
And I love ice cream so much , that I would eat it for dinner:eek:
My husband isnt allowed to bring it in the house anymore! Poor guy.
- Dina

Mother planted an avocado seed in the back yard in Miami. It grew huge as the years went by. all we had to do was walk out there, pluck one any time we wanted. What a treat -

we had a tree that produced, tangerines, oranges, grapefruit - all on the same tree.

Latest posts

Back