What does atenolol do ?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rr3972

I had avr in June 2008. Feel great! My cardio has me taking a small dose of Atenolol. Does it lower your heart rate? If so why is it good to keep your heart rate down? Does a higher heart rate cause problems? My resting hr is about 55 on it, it wasn't much higher before surgury.

I have been on a similar drug since my first surgery and still after my 2nd surgery (metoprolol) and it is mainly used to keep the heart rate down. This is more important if you have a tissue valve as the less times your heart beats then theoretically the less wear on the tissue valve. There are a lot of other things that come into play with tissue valves (like calcification), but since tissue valves don't last indefinitely I think beta blockers (which is what atenolol is) are used to try and extend the life of the tissue valve.

Atenolol serves two purposes.
1. Lowers your heart rate. (number of heart beats per mintute)
2. Lowers your blood pressure.

In my case, the lower heart rate, reduces the number of impacts against my circulatory system. I have an aneurysm and dissection. The fewer impacts the better, add to that the reduced BP, and the effect of impacts on my system are greatly reduced.

Rob

Like Bryan I was on Metoprolol after my first surgery for 1 year and I credit it with slowing my heart rate and allowing my heart to remodel to a normal size, after which it was discontinued with the cardio approval, my resting HR was 50's. After my second surgery I was again on Metoptolol for 3 months until my heat recovered. My HR is in the low 60's once beta blockers were discontinued, so below the normal population which is 70's. I use ACE inhibitors for blood pressure control. I will not take beta blockers long term due to side effects. As I say to my cardio I didn't go through surgeries to be a drug induced invalid.

Last edited:
Slower heart rate and exercise

Slower heart rate and exercise

I had avr in June 2008. Feel great! My cardio has me taking a small dose of Atenolol. Does it lower your heart rate? If so why is it good to keep your heart rate down? Does a higher heart rate cause problems? My resting hr is about 55 on it, it wasn't much higher before surgury.

If Bryan B is correct, would exercising be bad for the tissue valve because it brings the heart rate up?

No! Tissue valves DO NOT wear out faster due to higher heart rate, even when exercising. There are good reasons to take a BB like a-fib, but not to lower BP, there are better drugs for that. But please, exercise is good for your heart and valve!

and don't forget that one of the main things about exercising is to lower your heart rate at rest...!

Just on another point- I"m surprised your doctor has you on a beta blocker when your heart rate is 55. That is pretty low! Maybe it's for blood pressure but there are many other drugs that are more effective than bet blockers. However, I was reading that some doctors think that all people over 50 should take beta blockers as it lowers heart rate, reduces blood pressure and there are very few side effects.

and don't forget that one of the main things about exercising is to lower your heart rate at rest...!

Great point. Hard to definitively study and prove, but common sense would suggest that a good exercise program may actually have a net benefit relative to long term # of heart beats.

rr3972 - You don't mention your exact pre-medicated heart rate, but it sounds like it was already pretty low, do you have any other conditions your cardiologist is trying to address? Patients with aneurysms (pre and post surgery) are very often maintained on beta blockers because it can help prevent aortic dilation. For those who may also be slightly hypertensive, there is usually the added benefit of lowering blood pressure which brings other cardiac benefits (reduced risk of stroke, MI, etc). So, for those patients lucky enough to have no side effects (I am very glad to be one!), long term use would make perfect sense.

Now on the other hand, back to the heart rate issue, and a story that's been in the news recently, Jeff Green of the Boston Celtics had successful surgery in January to repair an aneurym at the Cleveland Clinic and thus far all public comments have said that it will be a complete and unrestricted return to his pre-surgery athletic career. I don't have a clue if he'll be on beta blockers or not, but I can guarantee you that his heart rate will be plenty elevated as an NBA athlete. I sure hope his recovery and return to normal continue as planned...it will be a great example of what is possible after either valve or aneurysm surgery.

Latest posts

Back