What did you need help with most post surgery?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abbanabba

This is more about the physical aspects, as I'm trying to coordinate home help with the time my BF can take off. He will be home for the first week I am home, but I wasn't sure how long it might take to feel comfortable on my own again once he has to go back to work. I guess I want to get an idea of how long (in general - I realise individuals will vary) it takes before you can do things on your own again, or with minimal assistance, like:

dressing
showering
cooking
washing/drying hair
(anything else you might think is a problem)

...and then later on:

laundry/hanging out washing
grocery shopping
sweeping/vacuuming/mopping
loading/unloading dishwasher
changing bedding
dusting
etc.

Again, if there is anything else you can think of that I've overlooked, I would really appreciate the feedback. I'm sure there's lots of "little" things we don't even consider.

Cheers

A : )

Thought of one. Its really hard to put on your shoes after OHS. Try using some slip on shoes to go for a walk or walking around the house.
I would'nt walk outside by yourself for awhile either....

I can give you a list !

1. putting on your own bra - I couldn't get my arms to stretch round my back
2. same with shoes and socks - arms would not reach down and chest would not bend!
3. getting things out of high kitchen cupboards
and
4 getting things out of low kitchen cupboards.

My DH put the cereal, tub of ground coffee, cookies and snacks and some other stuff on the kitchen counter, made sure the Becel and the jam were not buried in the fridge and all that kind of stuff. Meds were on a special occasional table. As for showering, I fitted that in while DH was home for the first week or two, just to be safe (even though we have a walk-in shower). After a week or two, I could do laundry (again, the soap etc. had to be between my knee height and my shoulder height), but not take it up or down stairs. Basically, I did what I could, and he came along behind and finished things. Just get used to asking for help and judging your limitations. You will know what you can do and when.

Thought of one. Its really hard to put on your shoes after OHS. Try using some slip on shoes to go for a walk or walking around the house.
I would'nt walk outside by yourself for awhile either....

It's going to be yukky ol' summer here, so I probably won't be walking until early evening anyway when it starts cooling down (luckily we live in a lovely little country town, so safety isn't an issue). I've also got my Crocs and thongs :eek: or should that be flip-flops? (could send this thread off on a whole new tangent!! :D )

Good advice netmiff. I might rearrange our walk-in pantry so all the "essentials" are on the easy-to-reach shelves. The landry may still be a problem as the machine is a front-loader quite low to the ground, but I'm sure the other half can manage that for a few weeks. He's pretty good with helping out, even now.... but hey, if we get into new habits.... ;) :D Meanwhile I'm not too worried about a bra. I wasn't overly blessed in that department to start with, and I have't been able to wear one for several months now because I find I just can't breathe properly (even with the really old and daggy ones :rolleyes:). Mind you... the BF keeps joking that I won't be able to see my toes anymore afterwards once the implants are in, so maybe I'll getting more than I bargain for :eek: :D

Be careful not to do laundry for a few weeks - wet washing ie sheets weighs quite a lot and you don't want to do damage to your sternum pulling washing out of the machine :eek::eek:

After I got home which was 8 days post op, I could easily have a shower and wash my hair by myself but I made sure I had someone else at home, within call, for the first week or so just in case something happened - which it didn't.

As it is summer in Aussie, you will probably only be wearing shorts and tshirts etc so dressing shouldn't be a problem - just take it slowly and don't do any sudden reaches etc as that can HURT (I speak from experience:eek:)
Crocs are GREAT! I lived in mine for the first few months - it was hard to bend down and tie up laces etc so when I did my walking I used my Crocs - they were fine.

It was a few weeks before I really did any cooking (that suited me, lol:D) my partner did most of it and I just set the table, made salads etc...gradually taking on more as I felt like it.

Basically, things like sweeping, mopping, vacuuming, hanging out washing, lifting bags of groceries etc will be off your job list for several weeks - let your partner do all the major stuff and you just do what you feel able to.
Gradually you will do more - your body tells you what you can and can't do...

Good luck
Bridgette:)

As far as showering, I used a plastic lawn chair in the shower the first few days. As far as changing you bedding, etc., forget it for a couple of months until your sternum heals. However, as far as cooking, I started doing easy cooking (that's all I do anyway) after about 5 days at home (I was bored). I had no problem washing and drying my hair, but some people on this site seem to have had some trouble. I also had no trouble putting on T-shirts and things that go over my head. Dusting you can do almost right away, but heh, why don't you just milk this for all it's worth and have your boyfriend do the vacuuming, etc. for a while.:D

I think what you can do immediately post-op depends on your pre-op condition and how you feel post-op.
I tried to cook several days after leaving the hospital and had problems. Don't remember what I cooked, but I do remember having painful problems exerting enough pressure to dice some onions. I also had problems lifting pots and pans containing food -- too heavy. Had to take some breaks because I was pretty tired.

I was advised not to vacuum, and that's probably a good suggestion. Moving the machine -- or hose -- back and forth, back and forth, etc., will be extremely uncomfortable and could be pulling at the sternum.

You'd also have to watch how much you lift. Wet laundry weighs more. And bending over and into a top-loading washer might not be advisable.

I'd consider it a "vacation" :) to let someone else do housework for a little bit. :D

Both my OHS, I was pretty much able to manage for myself. My DH had to change the sheets on our king bed and take me grocery shopping. I did absolutely no lifting or carrying but was able to do light cooking. I was fine to make myself a light lunch when he was in his office. We had some dinners delivered but I was able to serve us dinner and do the dishes.

I was able to shower and shampoo for myself with no problem...all personal care.
The main thing I needed was rides to doctor appointments and light errands.

My cardio gave me back my car just three weeks after my second OHS but the same cardio didn't let me drive the first time for about eight weeks. It really does vary. Same patient, same cardio, same surgeon etc and five weeks different in when he let me drive.

I had also "burned" the bra well before my surgery.....best thing I ever did.
For 2 months we were blessed with a neighbour who dropped off casseroles a few times a week. Good food is important.
Hubby stayed home during that time, because I could do very little, but over the weeks we find solutions to deal with our limitations.
I got a Head Set for my cordless telephone so that I could yak with no hands needed.
When I couldn't pull the door open for the clothes dryer, I used a screwdriver to pry it open.
I was worried about dropping my water glass, so I got plastic cups.
There are many good ideas on this thread, and you are young enough to breeze through this!

Scheduling my medications was hard for me. My wife set up my alarm to remind me to take my meds. I was on oxycodon and it really screwed with my mind. I had so many med to be taken at different times. Other than that I bought a shower bench and a bed rail which helped alot........

Post OP Needs!

Post OP Needs!

I needed the most help in bathing and washing my hair, and even brushing my hair. Getting dressed and putting those beautiful stockings on! I could not hold a thought long enough to get my food so food is a issue! Didn't eat much at first. You sleep alot, but you need help for at least three weeks. My husband bought me a shower stool that really really helped, because they don't want you to take a bath for four weeks. The worst part of post op is the fatigue you will have, no one can discribe it to you everybody is different. Keep your phone by you at all times and have people check on you for a few weeks. My first time to be alone was scary but nice in a way. Hell I love to be alone sometimes but now almost two years later I am still uneasy. Take Care and Many Prayers for you!!!:)

Oh yes also take your pillow from the hospital so when you cough it dosen't hurt as much, and ask for a surgery bra! It is not very sexy but worth its wait in gold! Really helps! Don't try and do to much of anything for a few weeks!

I was able to do all the personal stuff like showering, getting dressed (including shoes and putting on my bra) drying my hair, make-up, etc. straight away really (I could dry my hair on my own while I was still in the hospital). I did like having my husband at home while I showered for the first week home or so, I was just so weak I wanted someone around in case something happened.

I went grocery shopping with him probably within a couple of days of being home (I got discharged after 9 days). Laundry and all that other stuff is just too heavy to do on your own for a while. It was probably week 3 or 4 before I tried and then I would just take one or 2 things out at a time. I was told not to lift anything heavier than 5 pounds for 6 weeks and to use a reference point, a gallon of milk weighs 7lbs (or so they said...I never weighed it to verify that). I probably cooked dinner for the first time at about 2.5 weeks post op...don't remember what it was, but I'm sure it was something very simple. Fending for myself during the day was never a problem.

I would say you'll want someone around for the first week you are out of the hospital...after that you will probably be fine.

Kim

with minimal assistance, like:

dressing
showering
cooking
washing/drying hair
(anything else you might think is a problem)

...and then later on:

laundry/hanging out washing
grocery shopping
sweeping/vacuuming/mopping
loading/unloading dishwasher
changing bedding
dusting
etc.

Assistance?? I'm jealous of those of you who got assistance from your loved one, even though my SO took 2 weeks off to stay with me after surgery - we just did a lot of walking together, but I still did the first part of your items myself.......no one even considered asking :(
After 4 weeks I was doing the 2nd part of your items.......oh I did have company when doing the grocery shopping.
True.....everyone is different in healing, but I wouldn't wory about it too much, as long as there is someone handy you can call on when need be - I had my neighbors.

Thanks so much for all the feedback. While we all vary to a degree, it's certainly giving me a pretty good picture of what to expect.

I guess we're lucky to be renting a place that was occupied by an elderly lady, so we have hand rails in the shower, bath and loo which should help with balance should I need it.

I don't drive at all, so that's not going to be an issue for me - and my BF already does the grocery shopping with me (he pushes the trolley and I read out the list :) ) and even now he does quite a bit around the house since I'm struggling so much with SOB and fatigue, so I'm pretty lucky there. I am considering taking advantage of the home help the hospital offers as part of the post-op care though, just to take some of the pressure of him as he already works 50-70hrs a week in a pretty physically demanding job.... although the in-laws are threatening to come and help out..! They're great people, but quite "rambunctious" at times which might be a bit more than I can handle if I'm feeling a bit out of it.

Anyway, I'm sure I'll do just fine. It's just nice to get an idea of what to expect from you lovely folk that have been there and done that already :)

Sounds like your all ready and it will all be great

my 1st surgery now thats 16 years ago and i found

just getting a routine of normal sleep and wake patterns was chore

enough for me,Hated staying in pj's as that depressed me so i made sure

i had a routine. As the weeks go by you feel more strenght.

can't say i never had emotional ups and downs,hell havin that now LOL

before my 2nd surgery:p

Just don't like others say hre push,pull or lift,your sternum needs time.

zipper2 (DEB)

I think the most important thing you can do is listen to your body and not try to overdo anything, which it sounds like you are doing already.
You sound like you are pretty in tune with yourself, so I think you'll know what you can and cannot handle when you try things.
I was lucky - my mom is a recovery nurse and she came to take care of me for 3 weeks - she cooked (even though I really didn't want to eat), she reassured (is that supposed to look like that? Is this supposed to happen?)
SHowering was difficult for me - we rigged me up with Saran Wrap to cover the incision, which was probably overkill :)

Just don't try to recover faster than your body wants to, in a nutshell. Don't know if that really answers your question, but it's the thing that I realized later on that I wish I'd known.
Good luck on the 10th!
Take care
Melissa

SHowering was difficult for me - we rigged me up with Saran Wrap to cover the incision, which was probably overkill

Wow.... it is interesting how nurses/hospitals have different philosphy about wound handling. My nurses helped me to the shower a few times before I went home and each time they gave me two wash cloths. One to use just to wash my incision and the other for the rest of me. My first nurse saw I was 'gingerly patting' my incision with the cloth and she suggested I should be a bit firmer. :eek: That didn't happen for weeks!! :)

(I had steristrips both times on my incision).

They used saran wrap on the IV line that stayed in my wrist until just before I was discharged though it wasn't being used). Just in case......

Back