What CAN'T you do with a broken sternum?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After I was told that I had to give up Pro Football and after the concert I gave in the patient common room I was told NEVER to play the piano again
Pokes you..I was going to use that line about NOT playing the piano :p ....

As for what I will not be able to do after AVR, I have already told my spousal unit that I will NOT be able to clean the kitty litty box...EVER EVER AGAIN :biggrin2:

Muuahahahaahahahaha....

~Blue :angel:

NO booze the night before....sorry. Buy it now and drink it now. ;)
The cracked sternum does interfere with swinging from the chandeliers, that would have to wait a bit.
Get yourself a cute houseboy for a few weeks and then see what progress you make. ;)

Or if your case was like mine, you'll still be in the hospital when your sternal restrictions are lifted. :)

Always one to try and better you they HAD to lift mine can you imagine them saying "protect your sternum" or "remember your sternal restrictions" to a guy with NO STERNUM
dancin.gif

Ski Girl,

On day 5 after surgery I was able to shower and wash my own hair. I didn't sleep on my side however for about 3 weeks which was unpleasant for me. Regarding the wine, with apologies to Malibu and Bina, I had 2 glasses the night before surgery. I asked my cardio that very day if I should fast and he said eat a nice dinner with no restrictions. I even told the nurses during the pre-op questions that I had some wine and they didn't raise an eyebrow.

I chose a nice South African Cabernet btw.

Doug

Greg I imagine that comes with a whole new set of restrictions. I've read your history before and can't imagine what you've been through. You've got a great attitude which is awesome. (Bummer about your kidney. My single kidney has reduced function also. Oh well.)

I was itching to get back to playing golf... made it to the range about 5 weeks after surgery. Just hit a little. Around 8 weeks I was starting to get into it. One rule though... DO NOT HIT THE GROUND! It took me a year before I had the courage to really swing the club and risk ground contact.

Thanks everyone that has been really helpful! I have read all the standard stuff but it's those little things I wanted to find out - like inability to reach your toenails, putting everything I need at counter level, and not being able to reach things at the bottom of the washing machine! I do like the idea of a houseboy though and will investigate that possibility.

I have friends rostered on every day to come over and hang out with me, help me with things, and I think most importantly, take me to the beach!! Summer is about to start . . .

I had totally forgotten that in the US you get prescription meds in those horrid bottles that only four year olds can open! Here we get the packet. Easy!

Don't worry SuperBob I'm not risking any collisions with anything, just paddling at 60% max as instructed by my cardio. The humpback whales are migrating past the coast right now so I'm hoping to see a few on tomorrow's paddle, hope that doesn't make you all TOOOO jealous!

Thanks again for all the info!!!

Make sure you have the scar covered; sunburn on it is a bad thing especially in the first year.
Also be aware your tolerance to being in the hot sun will be decreased.
I found being in the direct sun on 30c+ days would make me feel weak and light headed very quickly the first summer post surgery, I had surgery in November going into summer.

Also regarding going to the beach, keep in mind you will not be permitted to go in the water. No swimming/getting your scar wet in pools, ocean or lakes until your scar is fully healed. You also will be restricted to showers. No baths permitted. Risk of infection is too great.

An aside.... We can request the pharmacy put our prescriptions in easy open containers or pill packets if we wish. We don't have to get child proof containers. It's personal preference which way my pharmacy prepares my medications.

At the risk of repeating things that others may have brought up...

These are things that you should not pick up until you have 4-6 weeks behind you: a gallon of milk; a laundry basket; children (any age); cats and dogs; anything heavier than a standard dinner plate in the sink; things out of the bottom cupboards; laundry from the washing machine (wet or dry); cast iron cookery or frying pans; pots of water, such as for boiling potatoes;, a leash attached to any dog larger than a chihuahua; a bag of groceries, especially with bottles or cans, bags of potatoes or onions; a standard container of laundry detergent, water softener salt, dog food, or cat litter.

These are things you can get very hurt doing: opening or closing car doors or heavy house doors; using a trowel or shovel in the garden; pulling weeds; weedwhacking; using a hammer, wrench, or screwdriver; scrubbing pots or broiler pans; washing a whole sinkful of regular dishes; washing windows; scrubbing countertops; cleaning bathroom surfaces; using a manual can opener; sweeping or washing the floor; pulling on boots; getting yourself off of the floor or a couch; getting out of a bed or recliner; hanging up jackets or heavy clothes.

These are things you can hurt others by doing before 4-6 weeks: drive a car (you can't turn around to see things quickly and you can't apply full pressure to turning the wheel in an emergency - and if you don't have consent to drive from your surgeon, you may find that your insurance doesn't even cover you if you have an accident); hold a child or even baby in your lap (you won't be able to hold them if they start to slip off - and some of the toddlers tend to throw their heads back into your chest); watch a toddler in any but the safest of places (you can't chase them fast enough or grab and hold them reliably enough).

There's lots more, but this gives you some ideas. The worst things are the things you don't think about when you're doing them.

Best wishes,

Last edited:
I don't know if this has been specifically covered but I was told by my surgeon to not lift, push, or pull more than five pounds for eight weeks. I wasn't allowed to drive during that time either and had to use a pillow over my chest when riding; the surgeon was concerned with premature airbag deployment. I hadn't thought about you guys going into summer right now. I'm so glad we're going out of it. Best wishes to you :)

Bob, fun explanation :)

Editing to add: BTW, DON'T SNEEZE OR COUGH without holding your chest. And try to avoid both of those anyway. Really painful!

Just don't be a dumb ass and re injure yourself. When you feel you are about to get to your limit take a step back and don't push it. If that thing does not reset you will miss the Xgames for more than one season.
FWIW I am less than 9 months out from my second OHS and have gone deep trail mountain biking, paddle boarding, lifted weights 3-4 times a week, have cut down 2 trees, moved 17 yards of compost while planting my garden, painted my house by hand, reeled in salmon and tossed many pallets of cement bags into a truck this summer.
I got to this point by taking it slowly, very slowly whenever I felt pain for the first few months until I got cleared to be my usual stupid self again.
I will be skiiing double black diamond runs on Whistler in a few months.

Back