What can you do post op AVR?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great story, that's what we're all about here. Gotta get the word out that a catastrophic disease isn't a death sentence.

Awesome story!

Awesome story!

I am abosulutely convinced that the more fit one is going into surgery, the better the chance for a good outcome and speedy recovery. I was 53 when I went in for my AVR, and was riding my bike right up until my surgery despite having a weak leg due to a herniated lumbar disc. I did what I could because it was important to me to be as fit as possible going into surgery and I was indeed walking on day 1 and out of the hospital in 3 days. My surgeon and cardiologist said my fitness level had everything to do with my quick recovery. I consider it a true blessing that I could and can still work out at a high fitness level and encourage anyone else who can to do so. The benefits are many!

I am abosulutely convinced that the more fit one is going into surgery, the better the chance for a good outcome and speedy recovery. I was 53 when I went in for my AVR, and was riding my bike right up until my surgery despite having a weak leg due to a herniated lumbar disc. I did what I could because it was important to me to be as fit as possible going into surgery and I was indeed walking on day 1 and out of the hospital in 3 days. My surgeon and cardiologist said my fitness level had everything to do with my quick recovery. I consider it a true blessing that I could and can still work out at a high fitness level and encourage anyone else who can to do so. The benefits are many!

I certainly agree that being fit, along with your age, has a lot to do with how you handle surgery and recovery. I was 47 when I had my AVR. They had also had me sitting up the same day, out of bed walking the second day and home after three days.

The problem I saw was that they were following the same schedule with 70-somethings who were still struggling to just get out of bed when they were discharged. It must have been tough on both them and their families and/or caretakers.

I was doing well enough that my doc didn't even consider cardiac rehab - he said it would just be a waste of time for me.

On the down side, I also had tried to exercise as much as I could prior to my surgery and ended up developing an enlarged left ventricle. My surgeon was fearful that I had done some permanent damage. Fortunately it reversed itself in a year or so post-op with the new valve in place. My caution would be to check with you doctors and not do anything that might cause more problems.

Mark

My story exactly, the only difference I was 68 and a runner. They had me walking 14 hours after surgery and released on the 3rd day. I'm now getting ready for my 54th marathon, the 3rd since my surgery. It's 2 days before my 3rd anniversary.

Kodi,

54 marathons: unbelieveable! That is an amazing feat that I'm sure will continue. Keep up the good work my friend!

Mark,

I had the same issue with my left ventricle and atrium. Both are only slightly enlarged now, a year after surgery, but they are barely outsidethe normal range. My surgeon scared the crap out of me before my surgery because of the enlargement, saying a case could be made for me to have had the AVR 2 years earlier based on my left ventricle size.

I'm just glad things have remodelled so well in 1 year's time. You make a very important point. We should get into shape but we don't want to push so much when the heart isn't functioning up to par that we do more damage than good.

I was not in good shape at all before AVR, by no means athletic ... But OHS rang my bell and I can honestly say that I am in better shape than I have been in MANY years ... To date I have dropped 45 pounds, quit smoking and am more active than ever before ... I had my annual physical and cardio check up last week and all is good ... for the first time my resting heart rate is below 70 (68) and total cholesterol is 135 .... I don’t plan on running any marathons but I do enjoy being able to be active (work, yard work, golf etc.) without getting winded and tired ... it is weird to type this, but OHS/AVR may just be the best thing that has ever happen to me....

Here's another vote for being as active as you can pre and post surgery! I was 57 at the time of surgery and bounced back quickly.

My valve wasn't causing me any real symptoms, but they were worried about my aortic aneurism! The day before I reported for surgery, I rode my bike 16 miles, cleaned it up and hung it on a hook in the garage for 8 long weeks. On January 1, 2008, less than 6 months after surgery, I did my 2d annual New Year's Day metric century ride, or about 65 miles.

I just hope my cow valve holds up for a lot more of those rides!

Latest posts

Back