What can I expect regarding caffeine and nicotine withdrawal?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kjtriesit

Hi, my husband is going in for an aortic valve replacement on the fifth of january. He is still using a smokeless tobacco / chewing tobacco every day, and drinking several cups of coffee. He gets caffeine headaches whenever he goes without the coffee, and he gets super grumpy and freaked out without the nicotine. So my question is: what will happen when he is in the hospital without those things? Should he be stopping them ahead of time? Thanks in advance for any help.

Yes, I'd certainly cut back, if not stop the nicotine. He's gonna be really grumpy in the hospital. Oh, wait. Trust me, he'll be grumpy anyway, even without the withdrawal.

But this is a good time to quit the nicotine, and cut back a little on the coffee. He's not likely to get any caffeine for several days after surgery.

Both usually give pretty good headaches during withdrawal. Since he'll be on pain meds after surgery, he probably won't even notice them.

I'm with Luana - with all the meds he will get in the hospital, a lot of preferences may change. He may not really want food or beverages for a while, by which time he will have gotten past the withdrawal headaches from caffeine. Even if he might have had a headache, the pain meds will take care of it. I had already given up caffeine for a couple of years prior to surgery, but I'm sure I wouldn't have cared if I gave it up right after surgery.

I can't help you on the nicotine, but I'm sure the hospital will not let him use any tobacco products as long as he is there. Of course, the meds will likely keep the "grumpies" under control, too.

The hospital stay will probably help him quit both substances.

Yes, he surely should try to quit the nicotine prior to surgery. Most heart surgeons require that.
He's going to be somewhat grumpy from the whole experience and caffeine/nicotine withdrawal will all be part of it. They will help him with medications as they want him as comfortable as possible to enable good healing.

He's going to have to dedicate himself to quitting and hopefully he will find the rewards worth it.

For his own sake and to help the anesthesiologist the fewer factors the easier ......I have personal knowledge of a case where pride kept info from the gas passer and he came to during surgery .....to quote the doctor "I had a hell of a time keeping him under"......oh and WELCOME TO OUR OHS FAMILY

What info could have been withheld which could have created such a circumstance?
That the patient was a smoker? :confused: Why would any patient facing OHS put themselves at such risk to be unthruthful with important info? I'm having a hard time with this concept. :thumbd:

A nurse got me a cup of coffee my second day post op, but only to help with the constipation from the pain meds. I was like your husband regarding caffeine prior to surgery, but I had a take it or leave it feeling about coffee for several weeks after.

I remember having coffee again a few days after surgery. But we respond differently. My wife went into a surgery in the 1990s as a coffee drinker and has never had a taste for coffee since. I don't think most docs have any problem with a couple cups of coffee a day.

As for nicotine, while offering no lectures here, I would definitely start trying to kick that habit now. Tobacco in any form would not be helpful or healthy in getting a new start with a mended heart. Others here may have advice on kicking the habit.

I was smoking right up to midnight before surgery. The hospital began giving me nicotine patches after I requested them. Took a few hours, maybe more than 6. So I'd say possibly have a friend or family member visiting to carry a few with them.

As far as no caffeine, the hospital was delivering tea to me with each meal. And had basically an unlimited supply of tea as long as I took a short walk to ward's kitchen to make a cup. I think third,fourth, and fifth nights after I was also heading downstairs to get a green tea or coffee from Tim Horton's as well. As far as smoking goes there was really nothing stopping me from heading outside if I choose to. I choose not to though. I did think long and hard about it the last evening though.

I'm guessing your talking about chewing tobbaco. If it doesn't bother stomach at all, I can't see why you can't get it OKed. If he thinks its OK himself and can't get it OKed. If I were him I'd have a stash in my bags and take some with me to washroom for sure. Although I don't use chew at all myself.

I'm glad somebody asked this question because I was wondering about this also.

I've been a cigarette smoker for 8 years. My surgery is Feb 23 and I plan on quitting smoking the first of January. I know it'll be difficult, but I've been needing to just REALLY quit smoking and I can't think of a better reason to quit than OHS.

My only concern is is this soon enough just under 2 months to quit to really have an impact on a successful surgery, especially with how long I've been smoking.

Caffeine wise I'm good though, I don't drink it. I stay away from caffinated soda. I just drink water, ice tea, powerade, and beer when I go out with friends.

If anyone has any advice on quitting smoking, that'd be great. My Cardiologist told me nicotine is the issue more than anything and to stay away from the gum and patches. I found that odd. But I'm looking forward to getting healthy, stop smoking, start exercising ( haven't stayed in the best shape over the last few years).
Sucks I won't get to go out with the guys to the bars after surgery because I'll be on cummodin.

But this surgery really has been a blessing in disguise, gives me motivation to get healthy and hopefully live a long, healthy life.

(I apologize for straying from the topic)

Ovie,

Please believe that if you quit smoking January 1, it will have a huge impact on your condition during, immediately after and in the months and years following your surgery. Many of the world's top surgeons refuse to operate on people who continue to smoke. I believe the thinking is the added risk and why go through such serious surgery to save your life and certainly give quality of life if you continue to smoke?

If you are able to quit it is the most important thing you can do for yourself but surely you know that.
I won't lecture...... But I will sincerely wish you the very best good luck to be able to kick the habit. You can save yourself so many possible complications by being smoke free. And 7 or 8 weeks prior to surgery is a considerable amount of time to make a difference. It is not too late to get tremendous benefit.

Let us know how you're doing and let us boost you up if you have a 'weak moment'. You'll be so proud of your accomplishment when you show up at the hospital for your surgery knowing how much you helped yourself.

AND stop this business about you won't be able to go to the bars with the guys because of surgery and coumadin. Of course, you will be able to. Anyone who is the least current on coumadin management does not ban drinking or green veggies or all those 'horrors' the out of date coumadin managers/providers need refresher courses to be updated about.

I only had a brief course of coumadin post op as I have tissue valve but many here will enforce ths concept....... you cannot go on a huge bender and do so safely but you can consistently have a few beers, a couple of glasses of wine or a cocktail or two. Some (many) have no reaction whatsoever to their INR from alcohol while others do. Start cautiously and slowly and be tested several days after you have a drink to verify how your body reacts.

The whole key to coumadin is being consistent. If you like a glass of wine with dinner, have it most of the time. Don't have 4 glasses one night and nothing for the next two weeks. If you go with the guys twice a week, then continue to do so but start slowly and be tested and be consistent.

Please go read the Anti-coagulation section of this site. There is so much information there. You will get a good, honest, up to date and priceless education. Many here who actually take coumadin for life know more than their coumadin managers/health providers have forgotten from their many years ago, out of date education.

I'm not sure why your cardiologist said the nicotine is the problem so stay away from gum etc, since I would think anything that would lessen the gunk (tar carbon monoxide etc) in your lungs going into surgery has to be better than nothing. You could try the electric cigarettes to see if that helps, they do have various levels of nicotine but none of the other ingredients that are harmful to your lungs and there isnt smoke but a water vapor. You could try to see the lowest levels of nicotine you can use or work down etc
As Jk said every day you dont smoke gives your lungs time to get clearer.

Last edited:
I work as an Employee Benefits consultant. One of my clients is putting in a smoking cessation program. They asked as part of the communication process to put together an employee brochure. I found this bit of useful information that you might like.

20 Minutes After Quitting: Your heart rate drops to a normal level.
12 Hours After Quitting: The carbon monoxide level in your blood drops to normal.
2 Weeks to 3 Months After Quitting: Your risk of having a heart attack begins to drop. Your lung function begins to improve.
1 to 9 Months After Quitting: Your coughing and shortness of breath decrease.
1 Year After Quitting: Your added risk of coronary heart disease is half that of a smoker's.
5 to 15 Years After Quitting: Your risk of having a stroke is reduced to that of a nonsmoker's. Your risk of getting cancer of the mouth, throat, or esophagus is half that of a smoker's.
10 Years After Quitting:
Your risk of dying from lung cancer is about half that of a smoker's. Your risk of getting bladder cancer is half that of a smoker's. Your risk of getting cervical cancer or cancer of the larynx, kidney or pancreas decreases.
15 Years After Quitting: Your risk of coronary heart disease is the same as that of a nonsmoker.

Source: U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. The Health Consequences of Smoking: A Report of the
Surgeon General. Atlanta, GA: U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Centers for Disease Control and
Prevention, National Center for Chronic Disease Prevention and Health Promotion, Office on Smoking and Health,

Ovie asked for advice on quitting. One thing I can tell you with absolute certainty Ovie, is that quitting smoking is not hard. Not starting again is the hard part. People will tell you all kinds of garbage about how it's harding to kick than a heroin habit. That's complete bunk. You just don't smoke. Don't. When you want to, think about why you aren't. In 3-5 days, what physical addiction there is to nicotine will be gone.
The harder bit is not picking it up again. You're not going to do that before surgery because you know how much you will benefit from steering clear. After surgery, the very last thing you'll feel like is a smoke. Later though, when you are feeling better, maybe the first time you go out with your friends for a drink (coumadin doesn't mean you can't go out for a drink. You just need to be sensible about it. Not to mention that I quit drinking 7 years ago and still go out for 'drinks' all the time. Needless to say I'm a popular guy on drinks night since I can drive.) When that day comes, and you're thinking 'I could have just one or two', DON'T, for two reasons. First, if you have a couple of beers and a couple of smokes, not having smoked in months, you'll likely be tossing your cookies by morning. I'm not sure why, but it is a brutal combination. Second, as soon as you've had a couple, it'll be all right to do, just when you're drinking. Next thing you know you'll be drinking just so you can smoke, and before you know it you'll say 'aw hell, I might as well just admit that I'm a smoker and buy a pack'. So DON'T.
It's more than 2.5 years since I last smoked and I still miss it occasionally but I'm now in the best condition of my adult life and I wouldn't trade that for all of the cigarettes in the world.

All the information above was rather insightful. Didn't have a single smoke all day, so day 1 is over with, it had its ups and downs, that's for sure. I've done the Ecig, I've tried patches, and the gum. Nothing really helped, longest I've gone without a smoke at a time was a year. I'm going purely cold turkey and will power with the desire just so I can say " I did that ". However I want to be as healthy as I can get before surgery. BTW I too found it odd that I was told to not touch patches and gum? Ohwell..and Dcc I've seen that before, very interesting to know, it really is crazy how even just a day or 2 can change how you feel without that garbage in your body. Thanks guys!! I'll keep ya posted, even If I slip or something.

Back