What can I expect in the future?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Heart Remodel

Heart Remodel

Aaron my LV was 8cm (80mm) at the time of surgery and I was in class 4 heart failure, I was in such bad shape I couldn't be operated on until the heart failure was treated. In the week I was being treated for the heart failure before surgery the hospital was giving me lots of literature on living with heart failure, this was most depressing as all the literature was targeted as >65 years patients with illustrations of patients in this age group and I was 41, and they talking about getting me enrolled in the hospital heart failure program. :eek:
6 weeks after surgery my LV was back to 65mm. 1 year on my LV was back to 46mm (normal range). :)
As it was explained to my by the cardio in my situation <60 years no other comorbidities the outcomes from my situation post surgery were. ~20% no improvement or continued deterioration, 40% some level of improved heart function yet not back to normal and 40% full recovery.
I was fortunate to be in the 40% full recovery. :)

Dito the rest.

i still felt rough at 8 weeks by 12 weeks i felt kinda normal (day to day) but wasn't exercising running/cycling/walking/swimming etc.

i went back to work at 12 weeks (desk job in IT) and those first 3 weeks wiped me out.

So, i'd say you are normal.

As for heart recovery, mine was enlarged too (don't know the figures) but i was put on an ace-inhibitor (coversyl) and about 6 months post surgery the surgeon and the cardio were arguing about who was responsible for my improvement.

So, check with your cardio that you are on something similar.

It will never return to a normal heart, its been working too hard for too long and the muscle walls are just too thick but there will always be some degree of improvement.

Regards.

Aaron, everything will work out. I went till I was 25 undiagnosied with BAV and aortic coarctation (narrowing of aorta, went from normal 2cm to size tothe size of a needle, back to 2cm), By the time they found it my heart was weak, enlarged, and wasn't contracting properly. I think it took about a 1-2 years for my heart to return to normal size, strong, and pump normal. It isn't a 100% my left ventricle is a little enlarged, do to scaring and will remain that way, but I don't notice it, and my cardiologist dosn't seem to think it is an issue. I just had my Aortic valve, root and ascending aorta replaced 12-weeks ago, and turned 30 in the hospital..

The key is cardio. Once you get going in your rehab program you will start to see a difference in your stamina. I found it so amazing at how much surgery just zaps your stamina. I work out 4-5 times a week since I was 19, and to go from heavy work outs to not being able to walk down a hospital hallway is shocking. Just keep in mind you will be better then before.

Latest posts

Back