What are you doing or completed this next week? 3/14 - 3/20/2010

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doug

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
I would like to restart this recurring thread, I think we lost it with the move, and I do think it will be helpful for future reference.

But, what are your plans or what have you accomplished this week.

For me, another week of rehab I have really started to pick up the pace though. I started Jan 18 and even the other folks in rehab have noticed that I am a tad more lively now. I can tell rehab is working, yesterday my step son was helping me put up some shelves in the new pantry and he was the one having to stop to catch his breath. ;)

Our rehab is measured in METs. The nurses want us to expend around 5 METs by the time we graduate. The plan is to attend rehab for 36 sessions (3 days a week for 12 weeks). I am exercising at about 4 METs right now. Supposedly, the calculation for METs is very long and the system, our nurses use, calculates it for them. They say, that high school athletes use about 10 METs and Olympic athletes probably use about 20 METs during performances.

I am happy with my progress, but it is kind of sad. When I was in high school and college, I was running sub 5 minute miles, under 15 minutes for 3 miles. Now I am happy when I can get up to walking a little over 3 miles per hour.

We walk a few miles a day.
Other than that, whatever she tells me!:rolleyes:
Rich

I am in week 6 of my 12 wks of Cardiac Rehab (once per week and includes education). I am pushing 5 Mets on a 40 minute treadmill workout both a home and at rehab. Last week started doing some hand weight arm exercises. It was pretty surprizing how heavy an 8lb weight was after 12 reps!! I climbed the stairs to the third floor of the medical building where my ACT Clinic was and was TOTALLY out of gas when I hit the top! That was kinda discourging given my progress on the treadmill. I guess my next course of action will be the addition of leg weight work.

Bob

I started this thread anticipating that I would attend rehab this morning, but I woke up with a massive cold. I think it will be a couple of days before I can make it back there.

Bob, you are right about the weights, it does take awhile to build back up. In our rehab, they have us do 15 minutes on one machine, and then 10 minutes on two other machines.

I start with last Saturday:
Saturday St. Paddy's 10K (wrote a report on a different thread)
Sunday 9.5 miles
Monday rest
Tuesday (today) 4.0 miles with 6 x .25 mile steep hill repeats
Wed 4.0 miles easy
Thurs 5.0 miles tempo run (miles 2, 3 and 4 about 9:45 pace...I hope)
Friday rest
Sat 8.0 miles pace run (hopefully about a 10:35-10:45 pace)
Sun 16 miles.

Back