What are the steps?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
alex c. said:
Thanks everyone! Yes, I'm sure each hospital is different. I went in for my pre-op last week. They gave me a antibacterial soap and told me to shower with 1/2 of it the night before. If I wanted, 1/2 the morning of, but that would be at 4:45 am and I don't know if I'd do that. I also have to put a little bit of antibacterial cream in my nostrils tonight and in the morning.

So the hours before the surgery, I can expect to go in, change, shaven (which will take 2 secs) maybe get a happy pill, Iv, then anesthesia? I will be out for the cath and all the tubes right? This sounds selfish, but I don't want my family to see me in that robe and all before the surgery. I don't want to see all the worry on their faces.

I'm pretty sure you are talking about the foley catheter that goes into your bladder to collect urine. as far as I know they are usually inserted when you are already out of it in the OR.
IF you would be having a heart cath, your doctros would be sure to have told you that, IF they just gave you a day/time your surgery is schedualled and didn't mention a cath, I would assume you aren't having one, Lyn

Adrienne, I mentioned an A-line in my above post and that is exactly what you are talking about too. I had never heard of it (of course that didn't surprise me) and I asked what it was for since they already had done the IV line. He's explanation was it was a more accurate and instantaneous way to monitor BP than having a cuff that had to inflate.

Adrienne said:
I decided to do some research about the catheter that I had in my wrist which I could have had in my groin since I really didn't know what it was for. Below is a paragraph that I copied from the website I found:

"Another special catheter ? an arterial line ? is placed in an artery to monitor blood pressure during and after surgery. This special catheter is used to draw samples of blood to obtain various laboratory values and usually is placed in the wrist or the groin. A nasogastric (NG) tube is placed in the nose and gently guided down to the stomach after the arterial line is in place. An empty stomach will continue to produce juices, which can lead to nausea and vomiting. The NG tube empties the stomach and prevents vomiting. Finally, a Foley catheter is placed in the patient?s urinary opening and guided gently to the bladder. This catheter is attached to a device that drains and measures the urine produced during surgery. This process may take from 60 to 90 minutes."

I just learned something myself!:D

So now I have a question. What is the purpose of the heart catherer? Is it similar to the same thing and purpose as an angiogram?

Thanks!!

Thanks!!

Well it's 10:30 pm and I'm just cking in real quick to tell everyone THANKS!! I am going to get ready to shower with that soap and go to bed. I hope to write everyone soon and say it went well.

Thanks again,
Alex

Hi Alex, it looks like you and I are on the same schedule! My surgery is also tomorrow & like you, have to be there at 5:30am.

Here are my instructions.
Take xanax during day. Wash with Hibicleanse(sp)....Drink that icky "clean you out" solution 3hrs before bed. ..Take ambien for sleep. ...No food or drink after midnight.

Wake up, wash with Hibicleanse(sp), ...Be at hospital at 5:30 (surgery at 7:30).
They'll take me back to the "holding" pre-op area. ....Send me to the shower to wash once more with the Hibicleanse(sp). .....They shave you if you have any hair where they don't want it. ...Then they have me put on a gown, ...and I put my clothes in a bag and it's given to family (or if you have no one there at the time, it will be kept safe for you)..... Then they give you a toasty blanket and you lay in bed as they start your IV's (possibly catheter if not later),..... I'll get to speak with my surgion and anesthisiologist(sp) ....they answer any questions .... (sometimes they let a family member back there to see you for a few minutes ... not all hospitals are the same though), ....then I'll recieve the "cocktail" (light seditive), ..... ....after that ? ...I'll be happily asleep :)

That's my schedule.

Good luck to us!

Candi, just wanted to wish you well for your surgery tomorrow morning. You sound really upbeat and ready!

Candi said:
Hi Alex, it looks like you and I are on the same schedule! My surgery is also tomorrow & like you, have to be there at 5:30am... Good luck to us!

Hope all is going well for both of you.

Latest posts

Back