Well, we have a date

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bbuck

May 8th 2012, AVR, replacing the bicuspid valve, the aortic root and a portion of the ascending aorta. Tissue valve.
We have made our appointment at Northwest Memorial Hospital in Chicago. Dr. McGee. We were there today for some tests and consults and I must say I was very impressed. They were on time, and very efficient. Just my kind of place. So, now I have a date to worry about!!

Best thing you can do. IMHO is to keep very busy. The days have flown by since I came hero the forum in october & nowbfeb 9 is almost here. Can't believ it ! Thanks to all for the great support. Nancy Jane.

Buck - I think you will continue to be impressed with the efficiency and effectiveness of Northwestern Memorial Hospital. They were that way all through my two visits there.

Hang in there, keep busy and visit here often. We'll help you get through the time until you head for the admissions office.

Thanks everyone, you all have answered so many questions that me and my wife have had. We appreciate it a lot.

Well one more step toward getting back to running on all cylindars. May is a good time for recovery. Spring is in the air and those birdies are chirping and making feel happy. Here is wishing you a successful surgery and a bump free recovery.

Well one more step toward getting back to running on all cylindars. May is a good time for recovery. Spring is in the air and those birdies are chirping and making feel happy. Here is wishing you a successful surgery and a bump free recovery.

Thanks Chris,
Funny I have heard that a couple times now, about feeling back to normal, running on all cylinders and whatnot. Thing is? I dont feel like anything is wrong except for when I'm under activity I get short of breath. I know I need this thing done, but I cant help but feeling I'm rushing towards an open heart surgery that I dont need. I know this is not the case, but cant help feeling it.
Thanks for the support tho, I know I'm not the only one to have felt this way either. Just seems strange knowing I'm going in for OHS in a few months

Buck,

I was pretty much the same when I scheduled my surgery. I was told I needed to schedule surgery in February 2010, and didn't go in until June 2010. In those three plus months, my symptoms did start to show up with more regularity. At the time, I didn't know if they were real or if panic was causing them. But simple things like walking and talking at the same time had me running out of breath in the month before surgery. When I came to in the cardiac ICU, I could tell that my breathing was much easier.

There were a few moments post surgery when it became clear that I had made the right decision. One was when I was walking a mile to lunch six weeks or so after surgery, and I realized that a small hill that had me huffing and puffing before surgery was nothing after. And once I was released for travel, I was hustling through the Charlotte airport to make a connection, pulling my carry on and talking on the phone, when it hit me that I wasn't breathless at all doing that, while I couldn't do even one easily a month before surgery. It is really difficult to keep your smile from getting too big when those moments of realization hit.

Buck,

I was pretty much the same when I scheduled my surgery. I was told I needed to schedule surgery in February 2010, and didn't go in until June 2010. In those three plus months, my symptoms did start to show up with more regularity. At the time, I didn't know if they were real or if panic was causing them. But simple things like walking and talking at the same time had me running out of breath in the month before surgery. When I came to in the cardiac ICU, I could tell that my breathing was much easier.

There were a few moments post surgery when it became clear that I had made the right decision. One was when I was walking a mile to lunch six weeks or so after surgery, and I realized that a small hill that had me huffing and puffing before surgery was nothing after. And once I was released for travel, I was hustling through the Charlotte airport to make a connection, pulling my carry on and talking on the phone, when it hit me that I wasn't breathless at all doing that, while I couldn't do even one easily a month before surgery. It is really difficult to keep your smile from getting too big when those moments of realization hit.

Ken,
Yea, I hear ya. Its just so strange, August of 2011 I had no idea I had a bicuspid valve, or that there was even such a thing. I'm guessing there are a lot of things that I have just lived with that I dont even know is not normal. I have heard that a few times that I'll be surprised to find I can do this or that. Its hard to understand that aspect when I dont know what I'm missing yet. I hope everyone is right. Closest thing that you said that rang a bell was the walking and talking, I have had a hard time with that for a while as I recall. Not sure everyone wants me to gain this skill tho. ha.

Not sure everyone wants me to gain this skill tho. ha.

That's right! Other than when you are sleeping, this is the only time it is quiet around here. :biggrin2:

However, I do also think that there things that you've just dealt with because they are your "normal" and that you will see some positive changes after the surgery. You will not be as good as new, because you've always had this...you will be better than new.

Heaven help us all. :tongue2:

Thing is? I dont feel like anything is wrong except for when I'm under activity I get short of breath. I know I need this thing done, but I cant help but feeling I'm rushing towards an open heart surgery that I dont need. I know this is not the case, but cant help feeling it.

Buck,
Trust me. I felt the same way before the surgery. After almost 8 months now, I feel a tremendous difference when I exert myself. I used to be out of breath when I did spinning before but I thought it was par for the course. I started spinning a month ago, and I hardly am out of breath even after an hour of spinning.
Wish you all the best for an uneventful surgery and a speedy recovery.

Latest posts

Back