Well here it is.........8/19

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tbone

Well my appointment of 7-31-09 was canceled until today. I went up there today, met the surgeon and what follows is what we agreed to do.

I will go into the hospital on Monday the 17th and be operated on Wednesday August 19th. (Cleveland Clinic)

He is going to use a Carpentier Edwards 30 mm valve? I am also going to have the maze-cox 3 procedure. Also, he said he would use gortex to reconnect my right aorta. And finally he wants to put in an anti-tachycardia pacemaker.

I will be on the table for 10- 14 hours, and he stated I should be in the hospital for at least 14 days.

This is a procedure with a 1-2% mortality rate, and because of my setup, and problems he said it is more like 5% or so.

Well there it is, and here comes the gray hairs. :(

14 days to post as many jokes as you can possibly take! 14 days to tell us all the Ross secrets you can think of and he won't be able to beat you up after surgery.

And 14 days to get lots of prayer going for you!

T Bone wishing you well.Have a question for you.Has your conduit and porcine valve lasted 32 years???

You can cause a lot of trouble in 14 days! And a 95% survival rate isn't that much different than 98%! They're both A's, and if you're nice, the teacher will curve your grade and you'll get an A+! Or you could do what Cooker suggests and for sure get an A+!

Just letting you know I saw your post and I'm thinking of you. You are in great hands, so that percentage doesn't apply to you,it will be nice when this is behind you as a distant memory long down the road.

Take care.

Kris:)

I know how you feel about it all. Prayers are with ya buddy. Was he able to answer the quality of life issue?

So, you've got 14 days to run away and hide......want my address? ;)

Do you have goat cheese & good fishing?

T Bone wishing you well.Have a question for you.Has your conduit and porcine valve lasted 32 years???

Yes it has, but my quality of life has gone down as my oxygen has dropped & a-fib happened.

I know how you feel about it all. Prayers are with ya buddy. Was he able to answer the quality of life issue?

He did say that maybe I will be able to get off the oxygen permanently. Also, if this is true I am planning my next fishing trip and sparing no expense.

I did notice that he would cut me off during my questioning of him & I did think he was a bit arrogant. He is however the best around for my situation. The only thing I do not like is that he goes on vacation 3 days after the surgery. Of course this puts the what if question into my mind.

Oh well time to stay positive & keep some gray away. Thank you for all your prayers & positive thoughts. Maybe I will run nekkid through the halls during recovery, and blame the meds. :D

Keeping you in my prayers until after this is over, and you're home safe and sound.

T-bone.....prayers for a successful surgery. I agree......95% is great and you are in the best facility in the world ......... remember only the surgeon is going on vacation.....all of the other experts are staying near to care for you.

I will certainly keep you in my thoughts and prayers! I had surgery 4 weeks ago at the Cleveland Clinic. You will be in the best hands. Who is your surgeon?

As far as your surgeon going on vacation 3 days after your surgery, I have to tell you that in my experience there, the surgeon does his thing in the OR and you see very little of him after. He literally popped his head in my room for 30 seconds once and that was it. You are the patient of the cardio on the floor for post op and even after I was home, the two times we tried to call the surgeon, they put us through to the floor doc who had taken care of me. For follow up appt at 4 weeks I was seen by the cardiologist and that is who will continue to follow me. I'm not sure if your surgeon works the same way but the CC is a huge and very busy place. It is the best but can feel a little impersonal at times when it comes to the surgeons. I know that some spend more talking time than others. I have to say that I love the cardio that I am with for the long haul though.

One more thing I experienced at the CC was that I was told my surgery would last 5-7 hours and I would be in the hospital 7-12 days. My surgery lasted 3 hours and I was home 4 days after surgery. I don't know if it is standard practic to overestimate or if I just got very lucky.

Wishing you all the best. I look forward to hearing that you've had your run through the halls. Go for it! :D

The only thing I do not like is that he goes on vacation 3 days after the surgery. Of course this puts the what if question into my mind.

Don't know if you remember or not, Novoa went home to Puerto Rico just after doing mine for a couple weeks. He was surprised I was still alive when he got back. ;)

Of course, Lyn reamed him a new one too! He avoided her like the plague from then on.

Latest posts

Back