Weight Gain 2.5 years after surgery . . .

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cbdheartman

Dear Friends,

I haven't been to the forum in a long time. It is hard to believe that it was almost three years ago that I started pestering folks here with my annoying questions.

I have a question about weight gain. Obviously, right after surgery I lost weight and was too thin. Since sometime in the fall of 2010 (surgery was August 2009), I've been carrying a ton of extra weight. I gained something like 35 pounds in a year. I was just wondering if there might be some relation to the heart surgery or to the Avapro I am taking. I haven't been exercising like I should, but since last summer I've been much better about portion control and my diet. My wife observes that she doesn't see me scarfing down inordinate amounts of food. Still, I am hovering around 230 lbs on my 6'4'' frame. Ideally I'd like to be at 200 pounds. Any suggestions/or theories would be helpful and welcomed.

Don't know about your meds but I know as I age the weight thing gets harder and harder ... join the weekly Throwdown and we will encourage you on your quest to down size ....

Beside the chimps great advice abouT the throw down, I was wonderring if you've had blood work lately. If not I would ask about having your thyroid checked since weightgain can go along with hypothyroid. it might be fine but i'd at least rule it out.

Finally a post I can contribute to. While, I do not know much about weight gain after heart surgery (note to self: do some research on that), I do know a fair amount on general weight gain and weight loss as well muscle gain and fat loss. Yes, I do make a distinction on weight gain/muscle gain and weight loss/fat loss.

I am not going to bore you with how easy it is to gain 1lb-2lbs (of fat) per month and not even notice - blah, blah, blah.

Our bodies are great at adapting to external stimuli and if we stimulate it with extra calories and lower metabolism due to age/exercise/lack of sleep/hormonal issues (thyroid problems)/etc., it will grow/store accordingly. Of course, on the other hand, stimulate it with adequate sleep, lower stress level, healthier eating habits (4-6 smaller meals per day) and of course some light-moderate daily exercise (or whatever your doctors allow) the reverse will happen.

Woud you mind sharing the following stats before surgery and after surgery:

1. body weight + if known, body fat (for body fat you can say little, medium, much for simplicity sake)
2. sleeping pattern (hours of sleep per day)
3. eating habits (how much food and type of food: clean/somewhat clean/crappy)
4. exercise level (times per week, duration, intensity)

I do not know much about avapro effect on your internal systems, and not sure if it has any metabolic effect or affects your thyroid function. However, even if it does, we can fight it with a little bit of effort if you do object putting that in.

Vadim

CBD & Vadim, I've had the same problem with weight gain, only in my case I gained 25 lbs. in about 6-8 wks, this occurring about 6 months after my VRS last Aug. 22nd. My diet is better than before I was operated on, I sleep plenty, I work out with weights or else do interval training 6 days a week. I'm an old jock & weight banger, 61 yrs old, 6'3", 288 now, 54" chest, normally a 36-38" waist, now up to 40". It's depressing. I went through the whole holiday season, ate like a horse, & didn't gain a pound. It does seem like I'm puffier than I was before the weight gain, but I can't figure out what would cause it. I'm concerned & a bit depressed. The extra weight is killing my back when I run. I know I've put back on some muscle, but obviously not 25 lbs. in such a short time. I'm wondering if my valve may have sprung a leak or something.

CBD & Vadim, I've had the same problem with weight gain, only in my case I gained 25 lbs. in about 6-8 wks, this occurring about 6 months after my VRS last Aug. 22nd. My diet is better than before I was operated on, I sleep plenty, I work out with weights or else do interval training 6 days a week. I'm an old jock & weight banger, 61 yrs old, 6'3", 288 now, 54" chest, normally a 36-38" waist, now up to 40". It's depressing. I went through the whole holiday season, ate like a horse, & didn't gain a pound. It does seem like I'm puffier than I was before the weight gain, but I can't figure out what would cause it. I'm concerned & a bit depressed.[/B] The extra weight is killing my back when I run. I know I've put back on some muscle, but obviously not 25 lbs. in such a short time. I'm wondering if my valve may have sprung a leak or something.
I can relate as since CABG x 5 AND mitral ring I have gained almost 45 lbs and with peripheral neuropathy and psoriatric arthritis walking is hard as well as trhe fact that my muscle flap consists of not only pectoral muscles but also abdominal flap and every time my insulin is changed I fight to keep the lbs off but Ray if you find a secret please share it

Greg, I'm fighting arthritis, too, & of course with this weight gain it makes it a lot worse. Guess I'll just keep pluggin' & chuggin' until my next cardiologist appt in June.

Latest posts

Back