Warfarin - Weight Gain?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soccerdad

Had aortic valve replaced a year ago and have gained 20lbs or so. I'm trying to watch what I eat and am walking 2-3 miles 3 times a week. I don't want to blame it all on Warfarin, but is/does Warfarin cause weight gain?

I love google...from warfarin.org

What side effects might I notice from taking warfarin?

Side effects that you should report to your prescriber or health care professional as soon as possible:
signs and symptoms of bleeding such as bloody or black, tarry stools, red or dark-brown urine, spitting up blood or brown material that looks like coffee grounds, red spots on the skin, unusual bruising or bleeding from the eye, gums, or nose
back or stomach pain
chest pain; fast or irregular heartbeat (palpitations)
difficulty breathing or talking, wheezing
fever or chills
heavy menstrual bleeding or vaginal bleeding
nausea, vomiting
painful, blue, or purple toes
prolonged bleeding from cuts
skin rash, itching or skin damage
unusual swelling or sudden weight gainunusual tiredness or weakness
yellowing of skin or eyes

Gaining 20 pounds over the last year -- if that's the time frame you're referring to -- would not be a "sudden weight gain."

After I went on warfarin, I lost weight, some due to surgery and, later, more due to Weight Watchers.

Are you retaining any fluid? What other Rxes are you on?

Weight Gain

Weight Gain

Geez, it'd be nice to be able to blame warfarin for weight gain rather than looking at all of the other issues (age, slower metabolic rate, and what I eat) that result in adding pounds.

-Philip

Hi,

If you are on some heart medications, such as Beta Blockers, these slow down your heart rate, and also your blood pressure.
Since your heart rate is slowed down, then your body also burns less calories. I great example of this would be monitoring your pulse on a treadmill after you begin taking beta blockers, and compare that to what it used to be on a treadmill prior to being on beta blockers.

Rob

I am taking 45.5 warfarin weekly. I've not noticed any weight gain. Maybe you should come on down and join us in the Throwdown.
You will need to join the girly team first cuz of your increasing in weight.:biggrin2::biggrin2:

Last edited:
Over the years I've heard warfarin blamed on about everything.

But no, it didn't cause you to gain 20 lbs.
Try increasing your walk to 3 miles every day and complete it within at least 45 minutes to an hour. And cut out all sugar.
Have you asked your doctor?

I know for a fact that cruising "causes" a person to gain a pound a day. ;)
And that's with walking 3 miles a day.

Good luck.

Those side effects lists are just lists of everything the control group reported during the trial period. It's not necessarily cause and effect.

I'd vote for possible side effect of lowered overall metabolism due to beta blockers, but more likely, it's age, diet, and (lack of) exercise related.

I suffer hand to mouth disease myself (not to be confused with foot-in-mouth disease). Come join us in the Throwdown!

I am taking 25mg of metoprolol daily. It does slow down my rate. Would that make me feel less active as well? I'm typically "wide open" and after a year post op, I'd think that I'd be able to have much better energy with the new valve but just not happening.

I don't tend to believe that warfarin could cause weight gain. I've been on coumadin (warfarin) for 36 years now, so I kind of speak from experience on that one. Fluid retention, that's a possibility? But 20 lbs in one year could be related to lack of activity, eating habits, etc.

As for lack of energy, I could link that to metoprolol. I was put on 50mg of metoprolol right after my 3rd but I felt like a sloth! Slooooowwww! I tried taking 25mg but even that was too much. They finally told me to get off it and switched me to Altace (Ramipril) and I gained back my energy!!!! Yay! :)

Talk to your doctor about how you feel and perhaps he can switch you to something else.

If you're on cortisone or other steroids, these can also cause weight gain. There are many reasons that you could have gained weight. Warfarin is probably not one of them.

Latest posts

Back