Waking up from surgery.

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's interesting reading these stories, but also so informative. It sounds like some people had their ups and downs and some were in and out. What I can say is within 24 hours of posting this the amount of things I've learned are overwhelming(in a good way), thanks to everyone who shared.

One thing I did notice that were similar with alot of people were that they were basically lights out before hitting the OR. When I was 4 years old I had tubes put in my ears and I was rolled into the OR, had a mask put over my mouth and nose and told to count backwards from 10, I think I made it to 9 :/. Is this not the case anymore when put under? Sounds like you're put out with IVs, or does it differ from place to place?

OHS anesthesia is very different than for the old style 'tubes in the ears' procedures.
I've not heard of anyone having OHS who counted back from '10'. Not to mention the improvement and development of so many new meds that are used these days.
When I requested to not have to see or watch when I was first brought to the OR, the words were barely out of my mouth and I have no further memory of the OR from that point forward each of my surgeries. I was immediately put 'out'.

I'm also extremely fortunate to not suffer any nausea from anesthesia. Aside from grogginess, once I wake I have no bad reactions..... thankfully.

I remember counting backward from 10 in the 1980's. I think I got to 9. There was none of that in this procedure for me. I went into the OR, chatting with the anesthetist. I was moved to the table, and given some nice warm blankets. I mentioned to the anesthetist that I wouldn't mind something to keep me calm and I remember him saying for me to hold on just a moment while he connected put a line in. He must have been very close because I remember being satisfied with his answer, and I don't remember anything else before waking up. Anesthesia is definitely one of the things which has improved dramatically over the years to make OHS as routine as it generally is now.

I was out as soon as they took me from the pre op room, I kissed my husband and daughter, told them I love them, and then I was out. Woke up 15 hours later, was supposed to wake up 4 hours later. Scared the docs that they called my husband and told him he needed to start talking to me to wake me and breath on my own. I remember they had to move my central line from my left chest to my right, I heard them talking. I woke up with the tube and motioned to the nurse that I had to throw up. I was restrained so all I could do was motion on her stomach that I was quesy and needed to throw up. You can't throw up with a tube down your throat. Once the tube was out I was fine. I remembered everything I read on this forum about not fighting the tube and breath with it and sure enough the time came for them to take it out. It was not that bad after all but I was happy when they pulled it.

It sounds like you had a tough time, I can imagine as the family member what a scarey time it was for them, luckily youu slept thru it.
I just wanted to say although it is NOT common, you CAN throw up on the vent. Justin woke up a couple times on the vent and one he was signalling he had to throw up, shortly after the nurse assured him he might feel like he had to throw up, he couldn't (or wouldnt? maybe) on the vent, he did. it was a mess and they took it out shortly after.

Ovie not only is every hospital /team different, but the same person can have different experiences following different surgeries. This is something you can discuss with the surgeon/anesthesia during the preop testing day, Both if you prefer to be unaware before you get to the OR or concerns about being on the vent when you wake or at least finding out what they usually do. They usually try to work with you to make things as comfortable and not scarey as possible.

For the most part if possible, Justin's surgeons prefer to get you off the vent before you wake up, sometimes before you even get to CICU. But depending on the different test results sometimes you just aren't ready so may be a wake for a while on it. His last few OHS he was on it about an hour awake.
Justin usually wakes up very clear and with it, to the point his first question after one of his surgeries (when he was 17) was if the O's won a baseball game he knew was being played while he was in surgery. Some people are clear when they wake up but the memories fade pretty quickly a few dys later, Justin pretty much remembers all his times in CICU, at least the surgeries when he was 10 and older. As others said if you try to remin calm and breath with the vent they wont have to restrain you, sometimes before your really awake ho, some people try to pull out their tubes or vent so they have to be restrained so they dont hurt themselves.

You might not need it, but it might be a good idea for whoever is going to be with you when you get to CICU or ICU whatever they have, to have a pen and something to write on. That way if you are awake enough to want to communicate while still on the vent it isn't as frustrating trying to get your point across if you have something to write on and not have to play charades.

I remember being wheeled into the anteroom to the operating theatre, I was already relaxed from my pre-med. The anaesthetist put a line in the back of my hand and was chatting/joking with me. I was expecting him to tell me when I would be put under.

The next thing I knew I had someone who seemed to be shouting in my ear, calling my name and telling me it was all over and that the surgery had gone well. I recall a distinct feeling of real annoyance that I missed the starting pistol - how dare he not give me any prior warning! LOL! I have no recollection of any dreams or awareness of anything between those two moments in time, it was like an instantaneous switch from one time/place to the other. *clicks fingers*

So... that first moment... I was very hazy, from the drugs, but I was not in any discomfort and I knew where I was and what I was there for. They asked me to cough... I think the breathing tube was probably removed at that point, though I have no recollection of it being there. I drifted off to sleep again.

I have disjointed memories of the first 48 hours with very little recollection of being in the ICU. I recall being moved from ICU to the intermediate CICU ward (this was about 16 hours after first waking up) and that they were pleased with my progress. I had lots of wires/tubes in me and at times felt some pain but I was promptly given painkillers and found it all fairly bearable providing I didn't move around too much. I slept a lot. Many of the wires/tubes were removed before I went down to the regular cardiac ward.

My head cleared on day 3, I think, probably because by then I did not need the oral morphine any more. Although there is much that I can't recall now, I do think that at the time I was reasonably "with it" on many occasions during the first 24-36 hours - I can remember chatting to the nurses, eating/drinking, taking an interest in procedures, talking to the doctor, having people doing their rounds and discussing my case, bed sheets being changed - all that sort of thing. I just don't recall much of the detail now.

I think that overall, with the drugs in my system, I really didn't care all that much about what state I was in, I was quite matter-of-fact about it, even jokey.... the tubes in my neck were my "Borg implant", for instance (hubby and I are sci-fi fans) and I just tried to think of myself as a curvacious "Seven of Nine" character rather than someone with a rather battered and abused post-op body. Yep, thinking about it... the drugs are pretty good when you have surgery, hehe! ;)

Geez, I wish they would do more pre-op to calm you down. I was almost hysterical before I was wheeled into the operating room & was introduced to everybody. I really didn't care who was who. I had no dry throat, no pain after waking up in the ICU, but someone did say, that waking up in the ICU with being on "meds" I might have an interesting reaction. Something about whatever was first most or bothersome in my memory might influence me upon waking up. And yup, wouldn't you know I thought there was a conspiracy, something regarding my well-being going on between the nurses. My understanding was they were short staff & someone "crashed" a few times. Because I was in & out of wakefulness, it really affected me. My husband said he could hear me telling the staff off before he entered the ICU, bacically get your hands of of me, & who the hell do you think you are.
I know I objected to the breathing tube & my husband had to keep me calm til they deemed I was able to get off of it.
After that, it was just the work you have to do to get better & out of the hospital. Amazing, in on a Weds & out the following Mon. Though I had some post-surgery complications.
esvaja

Quite right. i communicated by writing with my finger on my husband's hand right after I woke up.. He had to do some guessing, but we had talked about some situations - like I want the tube out NOW. The yelling occured after the tube was out & when my husband came back the 2nd time.
So there.

I woke up and knew what happened and knew why I was filled with tubes but I still tried to fight them off. I heard somewhere that if you cough when you are intubated they will take it out, I don't know if this is true or not but I coughed and coughed because of this thought and they did take them out. I was in and out of it for the first 48 hours. And now 1 1/2 years later I can't remember much of anything of my hospital stay other than I really loved eating ice and taking desperate measures (ie drinking prune juice etc.) to have a bowel movement so I could leave.

when I woke I was in a haze, obviously, and started singing "Go tell it on the mountain.." a song my daughters (6 &3) have been singing in Sunday School :D. I remember the nurses telling me that I needed to stay awake so I could take the breathing tube out....I tried, but kept dozing off, guess I didn't want to deal with the breathing tube (the worst part for me)...I remember a blur of an individual (my surgeon) that came to check on me....don't remember what was said, but do remember having the biggest smile on my face when I saw him. Once the tube was out, was able to actually make some calls to family members that I can barely remember...the time subsequent to that continued to just get better as each minute passed. Although I didn't have much of an appetite (nothing against hospital food, just didn't) and my nurses called my wife and told on me because I was not practicing my my tube that measured inhaling capacity - LOL...I just didn't want to deal with the pain associated with forceful inhaling practice. Oh, and I didn't have any dreams...last I remember is having my surgurical team huddled around me as I said a prayer and I was out and awake that seemed like just a few minutes, albeit 3.5 - 4 hours. Release your fears / emotions with those close to you, but maintain a positive attitude and rest assured, modern science is in your corner with the talented surgeons that have been blessed to perform their expertise with you in their best interest!

When I woke up I remember someone telling me that I was waking up and that the tube was still in place. I don't remember seeing anything, but I could hear everyone talking. 'Shortly' thereafter a nurse told me they were going to suction me and then remove the tube. I would have a very strong urge to cough, but would be unable to. Boy, was she right! As they suctioned me my heart went into afib. It took about 24 hours for them to get that righted. That was miserable. The few times in my life that I've had surgery, my body has reacted poorly to anesthesia in that it makes me sick. I feel like I have the flu for a few days after. That, coupled with the afib, made for a miserable time.

I was wheeled into OR about 8:00 am. I remember nothing after being shaved and IV started. Surgery was about 6 hours. My wife and sons were allowed to see me later in the day and they recall me squeezing their hands when they spoke to me. I have no recollection of the tube in place. However, the next day when I was talking and being comical, I am told I kept saying "I cannot wait until I get my hands on the guy who did this to my lip". Apparently the tape from the tube was stuck to my lower lip. When it was removed, it took several layers of lip with it. Surgeon said he never saw a lip get that big, ever. Did you ever see Bubba on Forest Gump? My other complaint was the drink choices. I just had a $200,000+/- surgery and I get an 8 ounce can of Shasta Lemon Lime. C'mon, didn't my insurance pay enough to get me 7up, Sierra Mist or other brand name soft drink?
I had IV's, chest tubes etc but none of that bothered me. In fact the amount of discomfort was in this order from most to least:
1. Pain from removal of tape (lip, arms, chest)
2. Dry mouth immediately after surgery
3. Soreness in arms from all the IV sticks and blood draws (some of this is tape related)
4. Pain in the chest was actually at the bottom of list. Pain was managed quite well with meds.

I had no dreams to recall. Just empty space of 24 hours. I am 3 weeks post op tomorrow and feel that I many issues with more pain, ruptured disk, shoulder issue/bursitis? Only difference is that this is a little slower to recover from. If surgeon said he had to do it again I would not be happy about it but certainly not afraid. To me, not that big of a deal. Best wishes for a speedy recovery for you!

I know I should know this by now, but what is afib? I see it constantly and havent the slightest clue to what it is.

We were showing Skyler photos of himself post surgery. Skyler was wheeled off to surgery at 7:40am Monday morning. He was wheeled into the PICU at 3:30pm. He was kept comatose until about 10:30am Tuesday. He stayed until Wednesday evening, when he was transferred to the Children’s ward.

From the photos, it appears that Skyler has no recollection of anything starting from after check-in and having his parents in the admitting. He was given midazolam, which causes amnesia. I hadn’t realized to what extent until we went through the photos. He has no recollection of getting on the gurney, riding it through the hallways with his mom, talking with the anaesthetist, or going into the operating room.

He was also given midazolam after he woke up in the PICU and has no recollection of his terrific male nurse who helped him out for the first two days. He was quite confused when we showed him a video of himself signing to Archie (the nurse) for more ice chips, and stories of himself telling Archie that he loved him.

I did know that Skyler didn’t remember much, since he had told us previously that he didn’t remember Archie. However, we no know that he has no recollection of about 52 hours… In fact, I remember him asking, while in the PICU, if he had had his surgery yet…

As to his first moments he remembers, I don’t know what those are.

Latest posts

Back