Waking up from surgery.

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ovie

I'm interested to hear some people's experience waking up from their surgery for the first time.

I got a book of information from my hospital that explains what's to be expected before, during, and after the surgery. One thing that is mentioned is extreme confusion that can last a couple of days.

What were some of your own experiences waking up the first time, seeing everything hooked up to you, the discomfort, just the over-all experience?. Did you just wake up and know what happened? or were you just so out of it that when you really woke up you knew what was going on. I've read that sometimes restraints are needed due to such confusion when waking up.

I know everyone is different and reacts differently, but it worries me a bit with some of the information I've read.

Would love to read some stories of experiences you had if anyone would be willing to share them and give me a general idea of what to expect?.

Also when you went under, did you dream? Did you have any wild experiences while under or was it just you're knocked out and you wake up?.

Had surgery about 8 am. They woke me up sometime late in the evening. I was a bit confused. They told me all was OK and not to fight the tube. I just wanted to know what TIME it was!!! Think I got a little upset when I could not communicate that. Then just in and out til it was time to pull the tube about 3 am I think. Never had any pain. Was surprised that there were so many tubes and things stuck in me.

Sleep til 6 am then get up to go for my first walk. Ya RIGHT!!! They loaded up all the connecting tubes and drain containers in a wheelchair and I used that for support. Made it about 60 foot circle and I was done in. Then they fed me breakfast. Rest in the chair and walk as far as I could to my room. Made it about 200 feet

When I had my anaesetic the last thing I was aware of was being wheeled into the operating theatre. I went under before the doors opened, so I did not get to see what it looked like inside. Just as I was falling asleep, a sticker or probe was stuck on my head, and I remember the doctors discussing whether it was recording properly.

I woke up in ICU, and although I was aware that time had passed, I do not remember any dreams. I felt entirely comfortable with my breathing tube, and was not in any pain. I was so pleased to be here. I was aware of people observing me, but I could not see them all. It was like they were voices coming from the wings in a theatre. Two men were discussing whether sufficient oxygen was getting to my brain. I signalled to the nurse for pen and paper, and asked if anything was wrong with my brain. She laughed and said clearly not, given that I was so aware, the equipment was not recording properly.

I wanted my pen and paper a lot when I had the breathing tube in. I also wanted to know everything that was being put into my central line. I was not a good patient, but was not confused. My breathing tube was removed a few hours after I woke up. They suctioned the tube before removing it, and I have to admit that I did try to push them away when they did that. My surgery was the first operation that I have had.

It's interesting that so many folks talk about the breathing tube. I have no recollection at all of the breathing tube removal, and my first recollections after surgery begin after the breathing tube had already been removed.

I do recall dreaming while under the anesthesia, and the dream was a pleasant one.

Evidently I did also pull out some wires associated with the balloon pump that they had in my artery, and they did need to restrain me until I was fully aware of what was going on. Again, I have no recollection of that and only know because the nurses told me later. The bottom line on that is not to worry about it. The nurses have seen it all and are prepared for whatever you might or might not do.

The one thing I do recall from waking after the operation is that your throat will be drier than ever before in your life. The doctors will give you a "swallow test" with a small amount of water to see if you can swallow without choking. If you pass, you are then allowed to have liquid to drink. If you fail, you will have to wait what seems like a long time before they test you again. I passed and was able to drink right away, which was unbelievably satisfying. The poor fellow in the bed across from me in the intensive care ward failed his swallow test and had to wait another day before they gave him another try, and he was miserable and thirsty (and complaining loudly the whole time) until he was allowed to drink liquids.

I've been sliced and diced 8 times for one thing or another (heart, gall bladder, hysterectomy, pacemaker, defib, etc.), and I NEVER woke up to a breathing tube.
All I remember is usually waking up because something is starting to hurt, and getting more pain med. Then snooze. The second or third time I wake up, I'm fine (fine, being some discomfort, cranky, dry mouth, etc.)
The worst wake up was coming up from defib surgery with some stupid fanatical preacher in my face. My first words were "Get. Out."

When I woke up the breathing tube had already been removed. The first person I saw was the surgeon who said the operation was over and it went OK. I can still picture him. It was like one of those old photographs with only the centre in focus - the rest was very hazy. I know I was awake in the ICU but do not have clear recollections of what went on - I was in ICU for 48 hours. Apparently my anaesthetist was known to give large doses of aesthetic.

I know I was ready for the breathing tubes and the drainage tube removal and both were not as bad as expected.

Martin

I was sent off to lala land after my first IV line was put in. The young resident anesthesiologist started to talk to me about putting in the arterial line, but the attending stopped her when he saw my eyes begin to bug out (I had a real issue with needles before I went in). My wife said I was talking to her during the rest of the preparation, but I don’t have any recollection about that or of being wheeled into the operating room. I can vaguely recall the surgeon talking to me when I first came to. He told me that he was able to repair my valve rather than replace it, and I gave him a thumbs up. My wife said that I also made some motions like I was writing in air, but I don’t recall that at all.

My memory of the removal of the breathing tube is even more obscure. I remember hearing this male voice gently insisting that I had to start breathing on my own so they could take out the tube, but that’s about it. My surgery was scheduled for 830AM or so, and the first time I was fully aware around 1AM or so the next day. My ICU nurse introduced herself, and soon after she had me sitting up and attempting to stand (that was an adventure for me!). I also discovered that the instructions to start breathing on your own were not delivered all that gently, when I got to hear the patient in the next room being instructed to start breathing on his own.

I dozed off and on for the rest of that night, and it seemed like an eternity before my wife could make her way in from the suburbs after sending my daughter off to school in the morning. I think she had it worse than me, since she actually saw me hooked up to all the equipment in the ICU. My daughter didn't make her way into the hospital until my next to last day, since she shares my squeemishness regarding medical procedures. By then, I was probably down to just one IV line.

My anesthesiologist tricked me by putting a nose/mouth mask on me just before they wheeled me into the operating room, telling me he 'was starting me on oxygen'. Well, as soon as I was transferred to the table, he must have turned on the happy juice because that's the last I can remember until I was awake in ICU some five hours later. No dreams, just out, then awake in ICU with my family coming in to say hello. My breathing tube was out, I have no memory of it being in at all. At first, I just remember trying to make sure I said hello to all my visitors by name (I guess to show I was somewhat cognizant?). Anyway, I went back out after initial visits for a couple of hours, then just awoke to the usual ICU stuff. Most of the gadgets I was hooked up to where at the head of the bed, so I could not see them -- just hear all the beeps. I did see the various IV lines and sensor lines, but thought little of them until the next day when they started removing them one by one.

Dan

I was in the ICU for two days before I woke up in my room. Memory of the ICU is cloudy almost as thought it was happening to someone else. My first memory snippet was of a nurse telling me I was in the ICU and everything had gone well. Later as the breathing tube was removed I was asked to cough and I remember being offered ice. I do remember sitting up and standing once. Other than those hazy memories, there is nothing until I woke up for the first time in my room. The room's window faced the east so I could see the sun was coming up as I realized where I was and that my thinking seemed clear and I felt good. I was quite comfortable and was a little hesitant to move until a nurse came in to ask if I was ready for breakfast. She helped me manage the tubes and wires as I stood up and walked over to a chair. I found it surprising that I had little discomfort and was very hungry. Another surprise was getting coffee with breakfast; it was wonderful and I ate every morsel. Two hours later, after a nap, I walked for the first time and discovered that I had little stamina and tired very easily and needed another nap when I finished. That was pretty much the pattern for the next couple of days. Wake, eat, sleep, walk, sleep, wake, eat...... The only real discomfort I felt during the days in the hospital came from a spot under my left shoulder blade and from the gas in my digestive track after I started eating. My mind seemed clear but it was some days before I could concentrate enough to read or pay attention to television, instead, I used the MP3 player a lot. Things got better after that.

Larry

I woke up with the breathing tube but hardly noticed it. I was very comfortable and apparently interacted with people by communicating with my hands. It was all very hazy and I don't remember much other than I was comfortable. The only pain I had was coughing out the breathing tube because my chest was sore.

I had no dreams -- one minute we were about to roll to the operating room, the next thing I knew I was slowly waking up in the ICU post-op. I was at least somewhat aware. I definitely had the breathing tube in, and I remember hearing a nurse say my oxygen intake level was "alarming" -- alarmingly low that is. So the breathing tube had to stay in some extra amount of time, not sure how much, and then I had to use an oxygen mask for a few nights. My lungs were "lazy" -- they didn't want to wake up -- but I was pretty aware of what was going on. I remember a nurse who was particularly nice and caring.

I had dreaded the breathing tube going into the surgery, but it wasn't as bad as I feared. And it is definitely your friend. Just go with the flow, and it'll be out soon enough. And as some say, when they woke up, it was gone.

Oh my, the ICU... Breathing tube was no big deal to me, I remember them pulling it out and telling me to breath. I wasn't in too much pain but I had no appetite for a week or so. I couldn't use the restroom for number 2 for 5 days. I was peeing like a race horse though. Mental demons were the hardest for me and overall just feeling weak, unbalanced and my vision was acting up. All this continued and still continues but is getting better every month that goes by. The first month was for sure the hardest.

I'm interested to hear some people's experience waking up from their surgery for the first time.

I got a book of information from my hospital that explains what's to be expected before, during, and after the surgery. One thing that is mentioned is extreme confusion that can last a couple of days.

What were some of your own experiences waking up the first time, seeing everything hooked up to you, the discomfort, just the over-all experience?. Did you just wake up and know what happened? or were you just so out of it that when you really woke up you knew what was going on. I've read that sometimes restraints are needed due to such confusion when waking up.

I know everyone is different and reacts differently, but it worries me a bit with some of the information I've read.

Would love to read some stories of experiences you had if anyone would be willing to share them and give me a general idea of what to expect?.

Also when you went under, did you dream? Did you have any wild experiences while under or was it just you're knocked out and you wake up?.

See Pumphead defined http://heartdisease.about.com/cs/bypasssurgery/a/pumphead.htm

I liked it, I know that for sure. The first thing I remember, was hearing my mother and fiance talking at my bedside, (about one hour post surgery). My first thought was 'I'm alive! That's good!', and my second thought was, 'Oh! I should let them know'. That's when I discovered that I was completely unable to move! It was just moments though, before I was able to move one hand enough to give them a thumbs up, and moments later I managed my eyes. I knew the breathing tube was there, and was pleased to find that, just as I had read, if you relax and let if breath for you, it isn't so bad, or it wasn't for me.
To your specific question, I wasn't the least bit confused at any point.
I think I was just an hour or so with the tube in, and though getting it out was definitely one of the grossest things I've ever seen, it didn't hurt. I wasn't permitted water at all, but a few ice cubes. My darling wife (fiance then) was clever enough to watch where they came from and sneak me many more cups of them. (I was certain that I could swallow fine or I wouldn't have asked her.)
The nurses I had in CICU were brilliant. They were calm, attentive, comforting and capable. I suppose you need to be among the best to get there and mine certainly were.
One thing I took away from the experience was that the anticipation, and a solid recovery are a lot tougher than the surgery itself. As the patient, you don't really have to do anything except lie still and try to act cool so your loved ones won't freak out! What's amazing is how much progress you make in the short time between waking up and leaving the hospital, and how much that progress slows (though it does continue) when you get home.
Hang in there, you'll be through it before you know it.

I was rolled into the OR clear as a bell, and got to enjoy the scenery (all very familiar-I've seen way too many medical dramas) for about 5 minutes or so. Everyone was busy, talking to me casually while doing much more important things. So, I was just taking it all in, wondering to myself when the "countdown" would begin....and next thing I know, I'm waking up in recovery with a tube in my mouth, no dream in between, or anything, just nothing. I had read pre-surgery about just trying to relax and let the tube do its job, but waking up suddenly in the moment, it didn't matter, I just felt like I was choking, and got a little frantic, trying to find a way to communicate. But, the good news, this lasted at most a minute, and I was asleep again. Next thing I know, I'm waking up clear as a bell in ICU, no tube, feeling perfectly normal, no hangover at all, everything working just as it had when I arrived that morning, and just a very mild dull overall pain. My family and little girl soon appeared and I was laughing and joking just like normal, no different than any other day in my life. So, for me, 60 seconds or less of bad mental experience in all, I really couldn't ask for a better experience. And, and according to my wife, my memory of those 60 seconds was worse than it actually was.

My first surgery, I remember being wheeled into the OR. For days prior, I had an aortic balloon pump in my heart and the tech who monitored it had to accompany me when I was moved from CICU. As we came into OR, he asked if I wanted to see/observe all the activity and equipment. I quickly answered the less I remembered about any of it, the happier I was going to be. That is the last thing I remember. Anesthesiologist saw to it I had no memory again until I woke. I knew the tube was still in place but it didn't bother me. My nurse was beside me the few minutes I remained awake and quickly put me back to sleep. When I woke next, the tube was gone. I was thirsty but only moderately. She gave me ice chips, I saw my DH and another family member and went back to sleep. I was comfortable and had some discomfort but no real pain. I had three chest tubes in place and they were all bunched onto the left side of my bed. I remember being uncomfortable that my left arm was resting on top of them and seemed to high in the air. I had to keep the aortic balloon pump even after surgery but gradually all was removed and I did fine.

I had no weird dreams that I remember and I didn't have much confusion. I knew where I was, who I was and what had happened to me. But it was a bit foggy, as it should have been, I was still loaded with all sorts of meds. As they eased back on the meds, clear thinking came back appropriately.

As an alert to those awaiting surgery, don't be surprised if you wake to find gentle restraints on your hands. I think both times, they loosely tied my hands to the bed rails as I must have tried to pull the tube in my sleep. The moment I was alert, they removed them. As soon as I recognized I did not have free movement, I immediately realized why and relaxed. Didn't matter. Nurse was right beside me the whole time I was awake.

My second surgery, they rolled me into OR.... same hospital, same surgeon, four years later. They started putting in more IV's etc and I looked over my shoulder at anesthesiologist I had met the day before and really liked. I asked if I really had to be awake and watching them do all this to me, his answer was a quick zap of something and that was just what I wanted. The moment I woke after surgery, I knew immediately the truck had not hit me nearly as hard this time and I actually felt relatively well. Exhausted and sore but nothing extreme. Four drain chest tubes in place this time and seemed my arm was really high resting on top of all that plastic tubing but I had known to expect it.

They removed the breathing tube quickly but I slept through and have no memory. I am still very grateful to the wonderful CICU nurse again this time. It was a male nurse who was so kind and caring and gentle. He took wonderful care of me all night. He was tentative with the ice chips but saw I handled them well, didn't become ill from them and he kept feeding them to me. I had an amazing thirst this time. Much more extreme than the first surgery.

When I started to have pain, either the monitors indicated or he sensed it as he was prepared to adminster some strong pain med that had been ordered. He asked if I wanted it. I nodded and the angel saw to it I was again comfortable.

I was alert by morning, my surgeon came in all smiles. they needed my bed he told me and they were tossing me to step down unit. Was FINE by me. :) I ate a half sandwich and walked with help of my nurse with the four drain tube containers in a wheelchair.

Good nurses are magnificent and make such a huge difference for our comfort and healing.
Sure the surgeons are critical but so is their whole support staff. The techs, the nurses, the whole team and a fine hospital puts together that outstanding skilled group

I was out as soon as they took me from the pre op room, I kissed my husband and daughter, told them I love them, and then I was out. Woke up 15 hours later, was supposed to wake up 4 hours later. Scared the docs that they called my husband and told him he needed to start talking to me to wake me and breath on my own. I remember they had to move my central line from my left chest to my right, I heard them talking. I woke up with the tube and motioned to the nurse that I had to throw up. I was restrained so all I could do was motion on her stomach that I was quesy and needed to throw up. You can't throw up with a tube down your throat. Once the tube was out I was fine. I remembered everything I read on this forum about not fighting the tube and breath with it and sure enough the time came for them to take it out. It was not that bad after all but I was happy when they pulled it.

I woke up pretty quickly, about an hour and a half after the surgery. I remember feeling very calm. I had double vision as I looked around and saw my husband and my son at the foot of the bed. I learned on this site not to get stressed about the breathing tube, so I just tried to relax and the tube was not an issue. The nurse told my husband I woke up too soon, and they gave me something to knock me out again until the evening. The worst part of the whole thing for me was my DRY mouth that first night. The odd ice chip didn't do much, but by the next day I was enjoying some gingerale.

I was a teenager for my first OHS. I remember being wheeled into the OR and the arterial put in my wrist (that hurt) and shortly thereafter waking up in CICU with no knowledge of time passing. My family was in the room and I still can hear my father clear as a bell saying, "Yup, he's awake." My breathing tube was still in, and I recall them pulling that out. I don't recall any issues with fighting the recovery or the tube, but based on my sister's tears - I'm pretty sure I looked like hell.

My second OHS was 19 years later (two years ago now). I recall everything fading out on the way to the OR and don't recall the arterials this time. Fun fact - it's a good thing for the clicking because one can barely detect a pulse in my wrist after having the arterials in each one. Anyway, woke up about 2 am after this one. The nurse asked how I was feeling, to which I responded, "Feeling pretty sexy". The breathing tube was out already this time.

The thing in common with both is that I clearly remember my waking moment. The week in the hospital after each one comes and goes, but the waking moment stuck with me each time.

Latest posts

Back