Vitamins, Nutrition And Tired Valve Surgery Patients

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pre-op: My husband had quite a good amount of Magnesium (outbalanced with Calcium) in his Multi (it's the Dr. Whitaker formula which is'heart'-friendly.)
Post-op he increased the Magnesium because he had A-fib in the hospital for one day. He was off all meds (except Coumadin 3 months) at two weeks post-op and was holding his pulse and BP great on his own and the doc. did take him off cold turkey (he was on Sotalol and Coversyl).
He thinks the supplements helped. So do I. Who is to say? :) There is lots of literature if you goole that Magensium and Fish oil are good for a steady heart rythm.

He also was given IV Magnesium and Potassium in the hospital when he had A-fib/flutter.

My husband is 5'11 weights 162 pds and takes 550 mg of magnesium (1:1 with calcium)
Bina, you can check libraries as well for books of supplements/herb and interactions. Our library had the book Reversing Heart Disease by Julian Whitaker MD and it explains the heart-friendly supplements pretty well.... At least to get some ideas and we checked with a doc.
He didn't take the Q10 and L-Carnitine while on Coumadin because they slow it down and he was barely ever in range to begin with.

Post op, while in hospital, I had a SVT episode and they gave me sotolol also. I had taken lasix and was very low on Potassium so I got some of that as well.
I'm thinking that the magnesium is a really good idea for me too, my heart likes to jump or go fast for nothing.
I take some calcium, those chewy, swiss chocolate flavour ones, since I don't like to drink commercial milk.
I love salmon (wild caught only).
That Dr. Whitaker book sounds like some good reading, I will check it out. Tks.

Latest posts

Back