vision problems

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kathy

Someone mentioned vision problems on another thread. I had problems post surgery with blurry vision and double vision. It seemed a lot better after 6 weeks.

I had my vision tested 2 months before surgery and there had not been enough change to merit a change in my glasses. I was told I might have problems up until 6 months at the time of surgery and not to have an eye check until that time.

I needed new glasses because of a scratch so I was eager to get to the eye doctor right at the 6 month point. He said that it is not unusual for vision to be effected after any surgery. My nearsightedness and astigmatism had not changed, but my far sightedness had changed. I'm sorry to say that is probably just AGE.

YEP, vision problems are quite common following surgery.

I had some episodes of double vision, inability to focus my eyes together (OK separately) that lasted for a few minutes, and many incidents of 'floaters'. All of those symptoms went away after some time, except for occasional 'floaters' which still occur from time to time.

'AL'

Vision problems after surgery are pretty typical. They usually don't tell you that before or right after your surgery, but you find out soon enough. I pretty much have had the exact same things occur as Al.

Gail

Double vision post op

Double vision post op

I had some double vision post op. I was told that it was due to
emboli. However I think it was also due to meds. When I got off the Percoset and Ambien I no longer had any problems. Now 5 years later I am having different symptoms. I think they might be due to cataract and am scheduled to see the ophthamologist a week from this Friday.

This past week in the hospital I had some problems with my vision. I was watching the Carolina game and I couldn't make out the scores. When people would come in I would have to ask them what they were. Last night I watched another game and could make them out fine. Drugs? Emboli? I don't know but I see fine again and am thankful.

I've had a couple of episodes when I couldn't focus. Both seemed triggered by something when I changed from looking at a near object to a far one and then going back. I felt as though my eyes were being confused by lines (a hockey net on TV in one instance). The episodes, though frightening, passed quickly. Several years ago I experienced similar episodes, once while driving. I blamed it then on a beta blocker I was trying for migraine prevention. Post-surgery when the vision problem occurred I stopped taking betapace and thought, until yesterday, I had dodged the problem. Now I'm not so sure. I also experienced a brief period (5 mins) of mental confusion (unaccompanied by stroke-like symptoms) after one of the recent episodes. This has not repeated. I hasten to add that it's wonderful to find a forum where I can discover that others can help put these things into perspective. Thanks.

Joe has had many episodes of TIAs, small emboli, which travel through whatever and then resolve. They do not leave damage, but should be reported and you probably should get it checked out in the ER to make sure they are not pre-stroke symptoms.

He did get quite a few of these in one eye in particular. His opthalmologist told him in no uncertain terms that his doctors had to get these under control so they did not eventually do damage to his optic nerve.

He has not had any in recent years, thank God.

At the very least you should discuss them with your doctor. They could be benign, or they could be something to monitor.

Latest posts

Back