vision problems post op

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

laurad37

I know I saw something on here before my surgery about vision problems but I can't find it now. They started when I was in the hospital when I would see white floating shadows and have continued when I came home. Sometime now I get something that looks like a kaleidoscope. It looks clear in the middle but on the outside its all zigzaggy and shiny and then sometimes I see white blotches everywhere. I am 5 weeks post op... should this still be happening?

When you see sparkles mainly in your peripheral vision, that is sometimes the "aura" that precedes migraine headaches. When I was younger, I had the aura and then the migraine, but since the last few years I only have the aura. It can last 10-15 minutes.

Laura,

Scotomata is what you're seeing--related to occular migraines in some way, but not exactly the same. I got that a lot too shortly after surgery. The incidences of this got to be 2-3 times a day for me and each episode would last several minutes. I once even had scotomata in a dream, only to wake up seeing it in real life. This means that it was in my brain rather than my eyes. I'd also get blank or dark purple areas in my vision, mostly on my left side--a side-effect of metoporol; stopped when I stopped taking the med. The scotomata affected both eyes, but I could see through the patterns, though the most intense ones left my visual field inside the pattern somewhat grayish with low contrast. I don't get either anymore. The scotomata decreased in frequency until 6 months out I was only getting one barely noticeable episode every 3 weeks or so. The last one I remember was early this spring--about 2 months ago, and I barely noticed it. Occular migraines mean that you only get the visual part of a migraine, frequently without any headache at all or just a barely noticeable discomfort. The scotomata seems to be related to the heart-lung bypass procedure's effect on our brains, while the blind spots were a side-effect of metoporol in my case. Rest assured, you're not having strokes or even TIAs (transient ischemic attacks). Just enjoy the show. :)

Chris

The kaleidescope effect often looks like broken pieces of colored glass sparkling in the sunlight.

There is a more formal structure many "see" that is called fortifications. If you look it up, you may see a picture of it that resembles something you've seen in your visual episodes. Even if you don't, there is likely some good information along with the picture.

Best wishes,

Optical Migraines, Kaleidoscopic patterns, Visual Disturbances have all been reported by several members post-op. Many have seen their Surgeons / Cardiologists / Ophthalmologists, and report 'nothing found', often with the comment that they were probably Optical Migraines and usually disappear after 20 minutes or so. Some continue to have them sporadically, even years later.

Do a Search on VR.com for the above key words and you will find links to MANY posts on those topics. Most just live with them.

FWIW, whenever I get an unusual 'Visual Effect' I chew either a full (325mg) Aspirin or half a tablet with the blessing of my Cardiologist, just as a 'precaution'. You may want to ask your Doctor(s) about this.

I have gotten this once or twice since surgery. But then again, I also used to get the exact same thing before, maybe once a month or so. In the past it has been a precursor to a mirgraine, so I always take it as my cue to pop a few Excedrin and I usually avoid the headache. Hopefully as you get farther away from surgery they will become less frequent.

What a relief to find you guys! I had migraines frequently as a teen and young adult, but never without a headache. I had MVP repair on 3/26. Since then, I've had visual auras that come and go, sometimes within a couple minutes, some of them small and a couple that blocked out most of the vision in one eye, but never with a headache. I'm going to be discussing it with my neurologist, but it's just reassuring to know I'm not the only one.

Marcia

All of the above. I had a Nike Swoosh in various colors popping in and out of my vision, along with what looked like actual images of what I was looking at even with my eyes closed. When I got the scotomata I thought I was getting migraines, but the zig-zags would "wash out," flatten, and disappear. It was a relief to know that I wasn't actually getting a migraine--maybe even when I thought I was getting one during my cath.

To top it off, it often takes a while for normal vision to return after surgery, so one shouldn't hustle off to the optometrist until a couple of months post op. At 7 weeks most of my goofy visual effects have disappeared, so I guess that might be a benchmark: around two months for these little nuisances to go their own way.

After my Mitral Valve repair surgery I had Occular migraines at least once a day which was strange as before surgery I had a Occular Migraine maybe once every 6 months. I have always suffered from migraines. During my surgery they closed a PFO that I have probably had since birth. I did not have a migraine for 2 weeks and thought the PFO closing worked but it did not the migraines are back. About a month after surgery I saw the white puffs before my right eye lasted a few minutes and left. On April 29 got another white puff before my right eye. This time I could not see out of the eye and had blurred vision in that eye. I saw 2 corneal Opthos 1 Reninal Optho and 1 Neuro Opth. Had all kinds of tests 3 different MRI's a Flurescein angiogram. Had special kind of blood test and they want me to see a Neurologist. So far rhey have found nothing. On May 20th the blurred eye cleared up. All theses tests they take are looking for a stroke or a blood clot or something that broke off the fixed valve and is out there waiting to do harm. The MV repair went well. In less that a month I looked well and had no heart problems. However I had terrible G.I. problems,teeth bothered me again and the eye problems. I will see one of my Optos on Wednesday and see what he has to say.

Well, I saw my neurologist and we discussed my "scintillating scotoma." I'm already on Welbutrin XL, which is sometimes used for migraines, so she increased my dose. BIG MISTAKE! I became dangerously objective and detached (as in, "oh look, the traffic light turned red...), and my pulse went to 120. I took myself off the road for the day, and called the neuro. So now, I'm back to my regular dose, and I think I'll tell the doc, "No, thanks. The cure is worse than the disease!" I've taken ginkgo in the past for mental fog, and magnesium for migraines--with neuro's blessing--so I think I will again.

I still have vision problems and memory also, they can't tell me it is not pump head! I can't see anything anymore up close unless I use my glasses! My husband and daughter have to keep my memory in check most days! Just a strange feeling, I was a type A now I don't know what I am! I want to be type A again! I was more in charge then! LOL!

Latest posts

Back