Vision problems post-op?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Vision problems

Vision problems

Hi everyone. I'm new to this forum and like most of you I have vision issues post surgery. I had OHS in Feb. 2010. I had an ascending aortic aneurism and a heart valve replaced. I feel good 4 months post surgery but I still have periods of feeling fatigued and vision curtains every other week or so. Immediately after surgery I had the vision curtains in my Left eye two to three times a day. Now the intensity has decreased and the occurrences are once every two to three weeks. I feel that I'm on the mend but it's scary. It also occasionally happens to my Right eye as well. Im on Warfarin and Metropolo (SP?).

Any words of advice would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Mark

I had my surgery two weeks ago and have been having lots of "zig-zags", but the weirdest thing is that my glasses prescription doesn't seem to work any more! How weird is that? So as soon as I'm strong enough i will go for an eye test and new glasses!

I had my surgery two weeks ago and have been having lots of "zig-zags", but the weirdest thing is that my glasses prescription doesn't seem to work any more! How weird is that? So as soon as I'm strong enough i will go for an eye test and new glasses!

Valerie, Justin wears glasses/contacts and after most of his surgeries his vision has been off. He was always told, NOT to go get new glasses right away, since his vision can continue to change the first couple weeks/months.So if he gets themm too soon, they might not work. After his last 2 surgeries when things settled down, his old prescription/glasses were right and he didn't need to change them.

Hi guys,

I have been plagued by these visual migraines since my surgery in November last year. I feel like I have tried everything but it has been eight months now :( finally I am resigning myself to the fact I may have to live with this for the rest of my life. Of course I am extremely grateful to have had my surgery but the migraines can effect my life almost as much as my illness did - I still do not have a 'normal' life. I am taking an epilepsy medication called Topamax which has helped with the frequency, however the side effects are cabbage brain and painful pins and needles so I am not on as high a dose as suggested (which might decrease them further). It is really frustrating and I never expected this.

I've had the zig zags, blind spots, grey spits, just as you describe since I was twelve. It's a occipital scotoma. Just a migraine related thing. I've only had the migraine headache part only twice in my life about a year ago and two weeks after surgery, but have had the eye issues at least once a week since I was twelve. I'm no doctor but if you indeed have what I gave there is nothing to worry about, the biggest risk is getting a blind spot while driving.

Latest posts

Back