Vein Harvest area

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bradvo

On the inside of my left leg just above knee joint is where Veins were taken for by-pass.
It swelled up about half the size of a baseball, it has come down some but not much since soaking it each day for the past 2.5 weeks.
It is also hardened.

Anyone else get this reaction? It just does not look like it is going to go down anytime soon. It was my surgeon who suggested the soaking.
It doesn't really hurt but it has me concerned, looks pretty ugly to me. It is also still scabbed over.

Brad

I would be concerned as well.
You need to have it looked at by either your primary care or surgeon.
Please ask for one of your doctors to take a look at it.

I would agree with Jkm7. My husband had veins harvested from his leg and chest for CABG and did not get any type of swelling. So it is better to get your primary care doc to look. It sounds painful. :(

I have never had swelling in my leg or arm harvest sites (mine run elbow to wrist and knee to ankle ,,,old school) but I wonder about pressure hose and worry about a fixed clot PLEASE HAVE IT CHECKED OUT RIGHT AWAY !!!!!!! If you must get to an ER today .......heck the staff used to bite if we were caught crossing our legs or laying on the arm

I have had my primary care doctor look at it , my surgeon looked at it also 2.5 weeks ago. He said it was not infected but to watch it to make sure it does not go there.
I see him again Tuesday and will be prepared to discuss it.
I did see a lady who was a the last appt that recognized me , we were both in at the same time , she had a double by pass. She showed me her leg and it looked
more like a scratched area.
Mine is funky as heck looking, but mo signs of infection.
The reason I wanted to bring it up was to see if anyone else has had the same reaction....maybe I should take a pic and post it.

Here are a few pixs to help show the swelling that I was speaking of.

mylegOMS002.jpg

So ya can view the incision area.

mylegOMS003.jpg

mylegOMS001.jpg

It looks like the top pic shows the swelling best.

Is it warm? I'm probably wrong but That kind of looks infected to me, unless the reddish purple is scarring. FWIW my Mom had veins harvested from both legs and didnt have any swelling that looked like that either. Did you have tha lump right from the beginning or did it show up a couple weeks ago?

I had it from the beginning, the redness has also been there, The doc told me to watch for the redness to spread upwards towards the other incision in my upper inner thigh area.
I was expecting better after the amount of time that has passed.

Forgot to answer your question "is it warm " No, it is not.

Well I was wrong about it there in the beginning, here is a pic I took the same time I took my chest incision , I think 7-10 days post op, the swelling was nothing like now.
See what them meds do for memory...lol

openheartsurgery004.jpg

That does not look good to me but what do I know?
I do know that I've never seen a harvest site look like that. Usually the incision is 2" or less, inside the knee and is hardly recognizable. Mine disappeared totally in 30 days or less. I cannot find it now to show a doctor when they ask where is it?

I didn't even know I had an incision there until days after my surgery when my doctor asked to see it so he could check how it was healing. No bandage, no sutures, nothing. I think they glued it closed as I never had any stitches removed.

I'm with you Jkm7 on it not looking good, I'd rather it was not on my leg.. The surgeon made a comment about no where to drain it , maybe this week when he has a look he
will have more to say.

So here is the new plan, I wear a compress on it for a week ( can be removed at night ) call back after a week if no change and it will be drained.

So here is the new plan, I wear a compress on it for a week ( can be removed at night ) call back after a week if no change and it will be drained.

Im glad to hear there is a Plan. I personally always feel better when I know there is a plan A and B, no matter what medical thing is going on. Hopefully the compressions helps- altho I often hear the best thing about them is how good it feels when they come off sorta like panty hose..IF you have any experience with them :)
Keep us posted

Can't say I have any experience with wearing panty hose, but I have taken a few off in my time :biggrin2:

Ok, I be serious now. I came home with a couple compressions on both legs , below the knees.....funny I don't remember that but my wife handed me one from the sock basket. I tried puling it up above my knee, it may just work, I'll give it a try tomorrow.

THAT my friend is nasty.If it were me the whole hospital and my personal doctor would hear about it.Mine was like a little scratch and a little higher on the leg.Yours looks to be infected or clotting.

Ya, I think if I were to show up at the club Jacuzzi I would be alone as soon as I put my leg in......or sooner.

The PA told me the medical terms for it, sorry but I don't recall what words he used. I think I focused more on his instructions.

Can't say I have any experience with wearing panty hose, but I have taken a few off in my time :biggrin2:

Ok, I be serious now. I came home with a couple compressions on both legs , below the knees.....funny I don't remember that but my wife handed me one from the sock basket. I tried puling it up above my knee, it may just work, I'll give it a try tomorrow.

IF they were for below the knee they might be a size or so too small for the thigh area, so i'm not sure I would use them..(are there sizes marked in them?) I probably would use/or get new ones that you know are the correct size.
Isn't it funny how fast you can forget things (like the compression stocking) that at the time you are sure you will remeber everything in exact details when it is happening?

THAT my friend is nasty.If it were me the whole hospital and my personal doctor would hear about it.Mine was like a little scratch and a little higher on the leg.Yours looks to be infected or clotting.

I agree. I would be going from doctor to doctor until I was satisfied it was safe. Mine was near invisible in 30 days.
I certainly hope it's okay but that would worry me.

They are a bit small I cut the lower section off around 4 inches, to tight. Also had to tape them in place so they would not creep down ( garter belt eh), I feel like it will work until I get out to a store.

Latest posts

Back