V8 ...oops! Messed up on a vegetable juice choice.

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not sure what the difference is between the two juices, but I often have a small can of V8 when my INR is a little high.
Now that you've realized the mistake, I wouldn't worry come Tuesday and I wouldn't skip on the salad if that's what your used to...maybe don't have as much but don't skip it.

Don't fret, you'll be fine.

I wouldn't worry about it. By Tuesday, any effects of the V8 should probably be gone. I don't think that V8 for a few days would drop your INR into any dangerous range. However, it probably woudn't hurt to skip a salad.

I agree with Protime. I do drink about 4 oz of V8 every morning. I wrote to Campbell corp to find out the Vit K content, once upon a time, and their response was, "We do not have to list Vit K content, as the FDA doesn't require it." Harumph!

Kristy,
I called Campbell today and they gave me the same EXACT answer! Dang it. So I don't know the difference between the two juices. hope V8 times three mornings doesn't throw me below 2.5.did decide to skip my salad tonight then do the normal salad after that.
Thanks for you advise!

Kristy,
I called Campbell today and they gave me the same EXACT answer! Dang it. So I don't know the difference between the two juices. I have been running just a smidge above 2.5 on my INR so hope V8 times three mornings doesn't throw me below 2.5. Guess I will see on Tuesday...did decide to skip my salad tonight then do the normal salad after that.
Thanks for you advise!
Since your INR is around 2.5--3.0 at the moment, I wouldn't worry about the juice.
The V8 ingredients are: Tomatoes, carrots, celery, beets, and greens.
Primary ingredients of tomato and carrot are low in Vit K anyway, so no big deal here. :)

Protime,
Thanks for your advise and for sharing.
I decided to skip the salad just tonight...will do my normal salads after that.

Bina,
Thanks for sharing. I feel a little better about it. I was upset because Campbell wouldn't give me any help about Vitamin K content and I have been trying to keep my Vitamin Ki intake consistent. I was upset with myself about not reading the ingredients lable first. Just grabbed itout of the fridge and drank it. that was DUMB! I learned a lesson big time!
Thanks again for sharing!
What you did was NOT "dumb". Really :)
It is natural to worry and I remember being the same way, but you will learn soon enough to relax and "go with the flow".
There are a few foods that are very high K, mostly leafy dark greens like kale, but other veggies are no worry.
I'm eating broccoli 4 times a week, romaine lettuce on my sandwich, spinach pizza in moderation, and all with a perfect INR.

One other thing to think about if you're drinking V8, is that you're getting 25% of your recommended daily sodium intake from a single 8oz glass. If you're hypertensive, prone to it, or eat a lot of other high sodium foods, this may be a concern for you.

One other thing to think about if you're drinking V8, is that you're getting 25% of your recommended daily sodium intake from a single 8oz glass. If you're hypertensive, prone to it, or eat a lot of other high sodium foods, this may be a concern for you.

That is a good point, and I have seen that Campbell's (makers of V8), is taking strides to reduce the ridiculously high sodium
in it's juices and soups.
There is a low sodium version of V8 available now; as well as lower sodium soups in their product line up.

Bina,
Thank you so much for sharing and your advise and encouraging and reassuring words!The members on this site have helped me so very much.

yotpjix,
Thanks for sharing sodium info about v8. So far that is not an issue for myself but I'm sure it is for others. Obviously a concern for those watching their sodium.

There was a time - not long ago - when the conventional wisdom said to avoid Vitamin K at all costs. There was even a book - The Coumadin Cookbook - that had recipes for foods with little or no Vitamin K. Conventional thought shows that Vitamin K has other benefits (besides lowering INRs and actually helping us to get more regular INRs because of it) - and that it shouldn't be avoided. The old advice to 'be consistent' applies here -- if you're going to take Vitamin K, or foods that are high in Vitamin K, or nothing with Vitamin K, try to do it consistently. This way, you're probably not going to have any surprising spikes or drops in your INR.

To my mind, an INR that is 2.0 or above shouldn't be too worrisome. Sure, we should all try to stay within range (for many of us, that's above 2.5 and probably below 3.5), but occasional drops slightly below range shouldn't be particularly alarming.

Regular testing can continue to provide peace of mind.

V8 is notorious for the added sodium. It basically ruins a good product for the sake of "flavor" that's not really needed.

I stopped worrying about vitamin K last year. I now eat a spinach and other green salads 5 times a week. I routinely drink V-8. I also drink pomegranite juice daly.

I have not experience any problems with by INR.[/I]

We self-monitor and dose. Skyler loves V8 (surprisingly) – particularly as clamato. We’ve never noticed any change in INR. In fact, we don’t worry too much about diet because it’s relatively consistent. The only time we find INR changes is if he’s been eating a bunch of junk food, really. Even then, it goes all the way up from 2.7 to 3.3… Not enough to worry about.
If you keep your Vit K intake relatively high (multivitamin), then we find INR just doesn’t move around a lot.

We self-monitor and dose. Skyler loves V8 (surprisingly) – particularly as clamato. We’ve never noticed any change in INR. In fact, we don’t worry too much about diet because it’s relatively consistent. The only time we find INR changes is if he’s been eating a bunch of junk food, really. Even then, it goes all the way up from 2.7 to 3.3… Not enough to worry about.
If you keep your Vit K intake relatively high (multivitamin), then we find INR just doesn’t move around a lot.

Sarah ... Perfect! ... Eat and drink what you want ... Just be consistent:thumbup:

Latest posts

Back