Updating my status

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just got back a little while ago from the cardio. They made my wife and I wait an awfully long time, you'd think post OHS patients would get some kind of gold pass that let's them get in and out faster. :) Anyway, he listened to my heart and said it sounded perfect, no leakage at all. I asked him about continuing with Lipitor and he feels I don't need it and won't keep me on it. He'll also probably take me off beta-blockers by my next appointment in July. He thought the 125bpm during my treadmill walks was fine. Most patients on lopressor can't get their HR above 120 but the beta-blocker doesn't seem to hold me back very much, which he said was fine. So I'll be seeing my surgeon one last time next week then I'll be free of doctors until a followup echo in July.

I just got back a little while ago from the cardio. They made my wife and I wait an awfully long time, you'd think post OHS patients would get some kind of gold pass that let's them get in and out faster. :) Anyway, he listened to my heart and said it sounded perfect, no leakage at all. I asked him about continuing with Lipitor and he feels I don't need it and won't keep me on it. He'll also probably take me off beta-blockers by my next appointment in July. He thought the 125bpm during my treadmill walks was fine. Most patients on lopressor can't get their HR above 120 but the beta-blocker doesn't seem to hold me back very much, which he said was fine. So I'll be seeing my surgeon one last time next week then I'll be free of doctors until a followup echo in July.

Great and encouraging news. I am very happy for you...enjoy your new you:).

I?m now 3 wks and 2 days post-op and the past couple days I would say I actually felt ?good?. Other than back pain when sitting in my desk chair for a few hours, I?m feeling very close to my pre-surgery self. Although my HR goes up a bit more than usual when climbing stairs, I?m not having SOB and rarely even notice my HR. It seems to stay in the 60-80 range for most of the day now. The dizziness and nausea has completely disappeared lately and except when my sinuses act up (been doing that for years) I?m not having trouble anymore reading and focusing. So this will probably be my last status update unless my conditions drastically change.

I?ve cut my vicodin usage to half-pills every 6 or so hours and a whole one at night, about 2.5 total per day. I plan to switch to Tylenol+ibuprofen this weekend. The back/neck/shoulder pain is tolerable for the most part and goes away when I relax in the recliner. Sitting in my desk chair is the only time I notice the discomfort. I don?t know if I mentioned this before but I?m ?back to work? as of last week. Of course, since I work from home behind a computer for 4-6 hrs a day, going back to work did not require much of a sacrifice. In fact, my typical day right now is very close to a pre-surgery day with an extra nap or two thrown in. Here?s the things different today versus 4 weeks ago, in order of most significant:

(1) Sleep ? I?ve gotten used to sleeping in a recliner and I?ll miss it when it?s gone. I usually sleep through the night ok. I?ll take a nap or two during the day as I tend to get tired every 6 hours or so.
(2) Back pain ? no chest pain at all, but back feels stiff all the time especially around the right shoulder. I?ll wear a jacket to keep my back warm, but I?ve not bothered with a heating pad very often as the pain goes away just by lying still in my recliner as well as taking pain medication. Incidently, I had similar back discomfort pre-surgery when sitting in my desk chair for many hours.
(3) Drugs ? not as much a hassle now that I?m down to just 4 different pills but something I hate having to keep track of.
(4) Physical limitations (driving,lifting,etc) ? pretty much the same limitations I had for 4 wks with my IV antibiotics for endocarditis and several days after my angiogram. This is more a burden for my wife ? I don?t mind getting out of doing chores although I really miss being able to play with the kids.
(5) Exercise ? I?ll keep exercising in the future but I?ve not in the past done as much daily walking. I?m keeping my HR at 120bpm walking 1 mile+ each day.

And that?s essentially the only difference 23 days post-op from what my ?normal? life was like. I expect in about 3 weeks all of the issues above will be gone, except exercise, and I?ll be completely back to normal. Unfortunately that?ll mean going back to running errands and giving up my recliner. Oh well. :)

Overall, recovery from OHS has gone much better than I anticipated and I was fairly optimistic from the start. If I had to do it over again, I would push back more on what medications I was given ? most of my problems, starting with waking up from the anesthesia, would have been avoided with different medications or no medications at all. My cardiologist told me the other day that surgeons like to dump every type of drug on their patients even though most won?t affect the patient?s recovery. It?s just that surgeons prefer to err on the side of too much medication and rely on the patients to let them know what?s not working. So my main piece of advice: DO NOT HESITATE TO LET YOUR SURGEON KNOW IF YOU?RE NOT FEELING WELL. It?s probably one or more of the drugs you?re on and if your surgeon is like mine, they won?t hesitate to change dosage or get your completely off it. I think also exercising (walking or at least just moving around) and eating/drinking will help flush out the medications faster and get you feeling normal again. And you will feel normal again, though right after surgery you?ll think you?ll never get there. Future OHS patients: good luck and stay optimistic ? your recovery will probably go much better than you?ll expect.

That's Great News

That's Great News

Bill -

It's great to read about your fast recovery and that you are beginning to feel like your former self. I'm in the waiting room for surgery, and since people tend to post when there are issues, rather than when there aren't, it's often a bit scary visiting these forums (but still informative). Your post brightened up my morning. Congrats on the recovery so far!

Reddog

I thought I?d make one last update now that I?ve reached 6 weeks post-op. Up until a week ago I ago my status hadn?t changed much since my last update, but this past week I?ve really started to feel good. In fact, the only symptom I still have is continuing neck/shoulder pain, but even that is much better. I just try to keep my back warm with a jacket or a heating pad. I probably take no more than 4 Tylenol a day for the pain, and that?s usually only so I can sit at my desk painfree for more than a few hours. I?m starting to use my wife?s light dumbbells to help strengthen my shoulder muscles and loosen my back a bit. Most of the shoulder pain seems to come from poor posture I?ve developed ? standing up straight and/or keeping my arms elevated also seems to help a bit.

I had my final appointment with my surgeon about 10 days ago and he said everything looked and sounded good. My next appointment is with my cardio in July for the 3 month echo. I asked him about the Lipitor again and he said the evidence is weak but there may be some evidence that using Lipitor helps to keep the cell tissue growing cleanly around the annuloplasty ring, but he said I could stop using it after 8 weeks, which is my plan. I?m officially done with the coumadin today but the surgeon wants me to replace my 5.0/7.5mg alternating dosage with 5.0 every other day (skip every other day) for one week, then switch over to a whole aspirin (instead of a baby aspirin). The surgeon NP didn?t set an end date for the aspirin but I?ll talk to my cardio about going back to the 81mg dose at some point so to not irritate my stomach.

The surgeon also switched me back to Toprol XL from Lopressor, still keeping the dose at 50mg (once a day instead of 25mg twice a day w/ Lopressor). They?re essentially the same drug but I believe Lopressor is a faster release. But for some reason my blood pressure is not quite as low with Toprol: avg 115/75 versus 100/70 with Lopressor. And the slightly higher BP seems to make a difference because my dizziness is completely gone and I have more energy now. It seemed that whenever my diastolic pressure went to 70 or below I tended to get dizzy if I stood up too quickly ? my heart rate didn?t seem capable of accelerating quickly enough. That doesn?t seem to be a problem now ? my heart rate seems to match how it behaved pre-surgery.

I?m still walking about 2 miles a day, though I?m able to get my speed up to about 3.5mph while still staying in my cardio HR range. I?ll jog for short bursts, but I?m trying not to overdo it with letting my HR run too high. The Toprol doesn?t seem to limit my HR ? I can easily get it over 140 if I jog for more than a couple minutes. I should note though that I don?t feel too winded at 140; I usually have to rely on my heart rate monitor to let me know if I?m getting my HR too high because I don?t feel myself getting tired or breathing heavy. I think with the weight loss and the extra level of exercise, I probably have MORE stamina right now than I had pre-surgery, and I was asymptomatic.

I?m able to sleep on my sides now, although I need to prop myself up a little to avoid putting too much pressure on my shoulders and neck. I really don?t feel any discomfort in my sternum anymore. I don?t feel anything when I cough either, although I?m still too chicken to not stop myself from sneezing when I feel one coming on. Driving is no problem ? I would have started driving a few weeks earlier but for the dizzy spells and because it got me out of running errands. :)

So, even though I?m still avoiding lifting anything too heavy, life for me is essentially back to normal. I feel overall much better than I did even pre-surgery when I think the stress I was under caused a few health issues, including some digestive problems. Those are gone ? I can eat anything I want without any problems now. Life in general is good, and I?m looking forward to it getting even better as I keep getting healthier. The doctors all said week 6 was when I would start feeling like my old self, and they were right.

Latest posts

Back