Update on valve to be used for tomorrow's surgery

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roundsgirl

Hey gang,
I just got in from all of my pre-op work. As I had stated the surgeon wanted for me to come to his office after my pre-op work to discuss the valve he will be using. Well, it's all changed. I asked him specifically about the ON-X valve, but no go with that one, but he does use them, actually had one on his desk and showed it to me, however, after he spoke with me last week he was so concerned that he called my cardio. and the GI doctor back and after a long consult, he has decided to use a tissue valve. He said I was just to high risk to use the mechancial valve, due to the possible bleeding issues. He said that his concern is that after viewing pictures of my colon and how the diverticulitis is all over both the small and large colon, that it was a real chance that I could either die from the bleeding if I started and worse case I would end up losing all of my colon. So, now I know I will have to face another open heart surgery down the road, given I make it past this one. That kind of threw me for a loop. I wasn't expecting it at all. He said to use the tissue valve was the lesser of two evils in my case. So, I was thinking if I can just get through this one, it'll all be over, but now I have to come to terms with the fact that I will have to have another open heart surgery, he said most likely 10 years or so, but I would be monitored closely, as the younger we are the more the immune system wants to reject or attack the foreign valve, so they tend not to last as long as in older patients. So, I guess I'm ready to roll. I'm am scared, more and more each minute. We discussed what my wishes would be should something go wrong during surgery, and I told him. I also filled out the living will papers, so my family wouldn't be put in that situation God forbid something happen. It's like he said it's just something that needs to be addressed beforehand, so that there is no conflict if something should happen.

Thanks for listening,
Roundsgirl,
Lisa

I think that your surgeon made a very conscientious, balanced decision. Hopefully, by the time you need another OHS, the valve replacements will be done via catheter and all this worrying will be for nothing!

Good luck and we'll see you on the other side of the mountain!

Lisa, hang in there. You're doing well. Take care and post again.

Hoping for the best for you,

Hi Lisa,
I am glad that you have the tissue selection issue resolved and I think at this point it is the best decision, given your bleeding issues and diverticulitis. Also, remember that today's tissue valves are lasting far longer than ten years in many people so I don't know about you but I am hoping to get 15 or more out of mine. Also, in the future there is a lot of promising research being done that would indicate that valve replacements will be done percutaneously, much less invasively and no open heart. I just want you to know that it is the best for YOU given your situation and your doctor is acting in your best interest. You are going to be fine....you will do great and before you know it you will be home and recovering and telling me not to worry that it wasn't nearly as bad as you thought! I'll be praying for you and wishing you all the best for a totally successful surgery and easy, uneventful recovery! My surgery is just 13 days afer yours so I look forward to your posts telling ME not to worry. you're going to do great ~ I know it!

Lisa, I hope you feel at peace knowing that your surgeon has looked at all of your issues carefully and is taking what he feels is the best route for you. It sounds like you are in good hands. I want to wish you the best of luck and I know we will be hearing from you in a week or two well on the road to recovery.

Kim

Lisa-
Hopefully this has already happened, but most people report getting a sense of calm in the hours before surgery. I remember being so nervous that I didn't think I could stand it anymore, and then suddenly getting very calm regarding the whole situation. I just wanted it to be over with and on the road to recovery. I'm glad that your valve decision has been made and you hopefully feel at peace that all options have been thoroughly explored.

Waiting to hear from you on the other side! :)

Mike

Hi Lisa,

I just got a tissue valve replacement 4 weeks ago and am feeling really well. I, too, had thought my first choice would be mechanical, since I am 48 yrs. old and thought I only could handle one OHS. But in the end, with the help of my surgeon, I chose tissue and my surgeon definitely thought replacement tissue valves would be done percutaneously within the next five years. He is actually one of the top surgeons conducting research right now, so I felt encouraged by his words.

There are never any guarantees in life, so I think we all have to count our blessings we have a physical problem that can be fixed. Then, from there on, we have to just have faith that the best decisions were made and we can handle whatever will come our way in the future. I was doing wait and watch and was hugely afraid of OHS. Now that I had my OHS, and know that I will have to deal with the tissue valve again in the future, I am just trying to take each day with a huge dose of gratitude for being alive.

You will make it through Lisa, and we will all be sending you lots of prayers and support and looking forward to hearing about your uneventful recovery.

all the best, Betsy

I think your surgeon made a very good choice considering your other problems.

BTW, everyone who has this surgery or any other for that matter is asked to fill out those forms and what their wishes will be, so don't think for a minute that there was anything implied by them requesting that of you. My Internist is always asking me the same kinds if things, even at regular checkups :D , maybe he's trying to tell me something. Well--I'm not listening!:p

Wishing you all the best.

surgery

surgery

Dear Lisa, I wish you all the best tomarrow I'm sure you'll do fine. If the doc. has given you any calm down pills take them, you need them right now. I'll pray for you tomarrow. Debbie:)

My prayers are with you and it certainly sounds like your surgeon has your best interest. From all of the post I've read hear in the last three months or so I think you will do fine. I know that's easy for me to say right now however I won't be too far behind you and I know you will be telling me that the waiting was the hard part. Keep us posted
Earline

Dear Lisa,

Just wanted to add my very best wishes to you. I'm sending you lots of prayers and positive thoughts that all will go well with your surgery. Your surgeon sounds like he really made a thoughtful decision about the valve that you need. He sounds like a keeper!

Hang in there and try to stay calm and get a good rest tonight.

Godspeed!
Susie

Hi Lisa,
This is a tough and scary time and I'm so glad that you were able to let us know how you feel...thanks for sharing your thoughts with us. We'll be praying for you and we so looking forward to reading your post in the 'post-surgery' section soon...it will happen, and before you know it you'll be handing out encourgagement and gems of wisdom to 'harleygirl' and others about to step in the 'arena'!
Huge hugs,
Yolanda

That's GREAT NEWS Lisa !

I'm glad to hear that your surgeon re-evaluated the potential GI Bleeding Issue and decided on a Tissue Valve. I was quite concerned about that risk. To my mind, a Tissue Valve is the Safest Choice for You at this time.

There is a lot of technological development going on in both Mechanical and Tissue Valves. Hopefully by the time you need to replace this valve you will have more choices, or at least a better understanding of which of the current technologies panned out.

You sound a lot more comfortable and confident now.

We're ALL pulling for you tomorrow.

Bon Voyage!

'AL Capshaw'

I too am greatly relieved that your surgeon decided on the tissue valve. You will do fine, Lisa and hopefully you will stick with us and ten or twelve years down the line we will be talking about non-invasive valve replacements. You have our prayers- Godspeed!

surgery

surgery

Lisa, my thoughts and prayers are with you for speedy and uneventful recovery!

I am 50, and my aortic valve replaced Dec 12th. After a discussion with the surgeon I also went with a tissue valve. It was my surgeons opinion that that within the next 10-12 years percutaneous replacement will be the way it's done.

And if not, so be it. At least I can say, "been there/done that" at re-due time.

I wish you the best of luck.

I think it is great you have a doctor that took the time to rethink and double check with your other doctors about what really would be the best for you. Will someone be able to update us? lyn

just wanted to add my best wishes, stay positive and it will be over soon! I am not quite 4 months out yet, and believe me, the waiting IS the worst ! Looking forward to welcoming you to this side of the mountain soon.

So glad your surgeon took the time to consult with your other docs to help you and him to make the right valve decision - says a lot for him if he is willing to listen to others' opinions.

Latest posts

Back