Update on my sister Florence

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lorraine,
She is real close to Dr. McGuffey at UAB in Birmingham. I know he performed AlCapshaw's, Noel's, and Gadgetman's replacements, and they speak highly of him.
I agree with Gina about Dr. McCarthy (he's on my short list for my next AVR) but I did want to mention that UAB is close to where your sister is.
Best wishes

I'm so sorry to read the latest news of your sister Lorraine. I was so happy to read that she was home & then I got so sad to read your latest update on her. Bless her heart! I hope that all goes well & we'll be waiting for an update later from you.

My prayers are with your sister & off course for you too! :)

Lorraine,
She is real close to Dr. McGuffey at UAB in Birmingham. I know he performed AlCapshaw's, Noel's, and Gadgetman's replacements, and they speak highly of him.
I agree with Gina about Dr. McCarthy (he's on my short list for my next AVR) but I did want to mention that UAB is close to where your sister is.
Best wishes

Lorraine -

Do you know what Doctors have been treating/testing/advising your sister?

The Cath Lab (and other Heart Diagnostic tools) at Huntsville Hospital (and the Heart Center) are excellent. They also do a LOT of ByPass Surgeries and have 5? Heart Surgeons. I know they have a group of Vascular Surgeons, but don't know much about them. One of the HSV Surgeons repaired an Abdominal Aneurism in an acquaintance and he is doing fine. I'm not sure who the top Aortic Surgeon(s) are in Alabama.

I believe Mary was referring to Dr. McGiffin at UAB (in Birmingham, 100 miles South of Huntsville) who did Niel's and Gadgetman's Valve Surgeries (among others). He is well respected and seems to be the 'go to guy' for high risk cases.

'AL'

Sorry Lorraine for getting Dr. McGiffin's name wrong. . . . too many things on my mind!:eek:
You might look at the posts Noel's wife made concerning their experience at UAB. I believe Noel's first OHS was at Huntsville but they changed hospitals and surgeons when he needed the more complicated double valve replacement.
Best wishes for a good outcome!

Aye, Lorraine ... very sorry....

Thoughts/prayers en route.....

Cort | 35swm | "Mr Monte Carlo"."Mr Road Trip" | pig valve.pacemaker ...RT 66 drive = Sept '09
WRMNshowcase.legos.HO.models.MCs.RTs.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort
"There's just too much that time cannot erase" ... Evanescence ... 'My Immortal'

Sorry I didn't get back for a couple of days. I was hearing information second hand and I couldn't get a hold of my sisters son or duaghters to get the information first hand.

I talked to my niece Pam late last night. They decided to operate on my sister Florence's other Carotid Artery yesterday. They finished the operation and put her in recovery and she started oozing blood. They said a clamp came loose,so they went back in and secured it. They put her in CICU overnight and gave her blood. My niece Pam says she does have an Aneurysm but it is small so the doctors want to just keep a watch on it. Florence also has small blood clots leading to the main Aorta to the heart. She did not mention if anything was being done for that. When she went in Sunday, she couldn't breath and she had fluid around the lungs again. Pam said they gave her some pills? to dissolve the fluid. Not sure I understood that right. She did not mention anything about a partially closed valve like I heard on Sunday. Then both of our cell phones went dead and I have not been able to talk to her today.

I called the hospital today and talked to my sister Florence and she sounded better. She said she was cold! I didn't ask her too much because I did not know how much my nieces and nephew have told her. So I don't know if she knows about the aneurysm. She was in good spirits though.

Mary: Thanks for the information about Birmingham. My sister children would not be able to take her down there. They live all over the country with the closest one living in Tenn.

Al: The name of the vasecular surgeon she had was Dr. Ciopei (my niece said it sounds more like Chopy). She said he was very good. Who ever did the second Carotid Artery yesterday did a better job than the first one that was done, according to whoever talked to my niece Pam. When I talk to Pam again (hopfully tomorrow) I will let her know what you said about the surgeons there. I hope that gives them some piece of mind. I thank you for your information.

Norma, Cort: Thank you for the prayers. I'm hoping she will start doing better now. They will watch that aneurysm. Three of her daughters want her to move back to the Chicago area so they can take care of her. Two of them live in the city and another one plans to move back her from Colorado to help take care of her.

Again I thank everyone for your continued prayers. As I find out more from my nieces I will keep you informed. For now I know Florence is stable and as she told me on the phone, Hungry!

Sorry I didn't get back for a couple of days. I was hearing information second hand and I couldn't get a hold of my sisters son or duaghters to get the information first hand.

I talked to my niece Pam late last night. They decided to operate on my sister Florence's other Carotid Artery yesterday. They finished the operation and put her in recovery and she started oozing blood. They said a clamp came loose,so they went back in and secured it. They put her in CICU overnight and gave her blood. My niece Pam says she does have an Aneurysm but it is small so the doctors want to just keep a watch on it. Florence also has small blood clots leading to the main Aorta to the heart. She did not mention if anything was being done for that. When she went in Sunday, she couldn't breath and she had fluid around the lungs again. Pam said they gave her some pills? to dissolve the fluid. Not sure I understood that right. She did not mention anything about a partially closed valve like I heard on Sunday. Then both of our cell phones went dead and I have not been able to talk to her today.

I called the hospital today and talked to my sister Florence and she sounded better. She said she was cold! I didn't ask her too much because I did not know how much my nieces and nephew have told her. So I don't know if she knows about the aneurysm. She was in good spirits though.

Mary: Thanks for the information about Birmingham. My sister children would not be able to take her down there. They live all over the country with the closest one living in Tenn.

Al: The name of the vasecular surgeon she had was Dr. Ciopei (my niece said it sounds more like Chopy). She said he was very good. Who ever did the second Carotid Artery yesterday did a better job than the first one that was done, according to whoever talked to my niece Pam. When I talk to Pam again (hopfully tomorrow) I will let her know what you said about the surgeons there. I hope that gives them some piece of mind. I thank you for your information.

Norma, Cort: Thank you for the prayers. I'm hoping she will start doing better now. They will watch that aneurysm. Three of her daughters want her to move back to the Chicago area so they can take care of her. Two of them live in the city and another one plans to move back her from Colorado to help take care of her.

Again I thank everyone for your continued prayers. As I find out more from my nieces I will keep you informed. For now I know Florence is stable and as she told me on the phone, Hungry!

Lorraine,appreciate the update and following closely.
Take a deep breath,i know this is hard on you,the distance too
Thank God your able to come on site and release your worry and stress
also,Try and take it easy............continued prayers for all.(HUGS)
Were all praying for you's. keep us informed when your able.

zipper2 (DEB)

All my prayers are with you.

All my prayers are with you.

Wow. What a time you have had of it Lorraine.

I am so sorry to hear about your sisters.

Sending you all my love and prayers. Take care.

Deb: Thanks for the words of encouragement and prayers. Yeah, the distance drives me crazy. I wish I could be down there and getting answers first hand. I'm glad I can come here and relieve worry and stress and get answers and advise from my vr.com friends.

Rain: Thanks! It has been a very emotional time. Thanks for the prayers.

I'll update when I know all thats going on. Thanks again everyone.

Latest posts

Back