Update on my sister Florence

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lorraine

Hi ,

Just wanted to give everyone an update on my sister Florence. Sorry I've been away, but with my sister Gladys passing, coordinating exams for 2 1/2 weeks, Christmas etc, I had been busy. Noy enough time to post a long post.

Florence was in rehab for 4 weeks to get her walking again after the colon operation and stroke she had. While in rehab they were tying her down at night because they said she kept trying to walk by herself at night and kept falling. She got two cracked ribs from that, her face was black and blue. My sister MaryAnn said she looked like someone beat her up. They were kind of wondering if maybe someone did slap her around.

Anyway, she came home with a cane and wheelchair. She is getting a walker. As soon as they feel she is strong enough they will operate on her carotid arteries. Probably in a few weeks.

On Christmas Day I finally got to talk to my sister Florence. i had been in touch but end up talking to my nieces and nephews each time I called as she was sleeping. She sounded good. She has a little slurred speech but is totally aware of what is going on. She was apologizing because she did not get to send out Christmas caards. I told her I didn't need a card. Just hearing her voice was a gift to me! She seems in good spirits but she is aware she needs to be operated on again. She told me she found out she has diabetes and needs to watch what she eats now. She said her stomach was bothering her the day I called her. She said my niece Lisa told her it was probably from all the coffee she's been drinking. I told her to switch to decaf or half and half and only drink a couple of cups if she missed the taste of coffee. I told her caffeine will raise her blood pressure and she doesn't want that. My sisters down there were drink coffee(full strength) all day long in the past.

I was glad she was in such good spirits and has accepted that she is diabetic,has high blood pressure and high cholestorol. She is a fighter. I told her anytime she feels down, don't hesitate to call me. I had her laughing on Christmas day. She knows about my siser Gladys, but we didn't talk about it too much. I didn't want to bring her back down all over again or myself.

I told her about the thread I started on vr.com and how there were many members on my site, praying for her. She asked me to Thank each and everyone for the prayers. She really appreciated it, as I did too. She too believes prayers work.

I will keep everyone updated but not daily like I was doing before. I just wanted to let everyone know how she was doing. I will post when she goes in for carotid arteries.

I always wonder about people in "those places". Seems like a lot of things happen to them that they blame on the person.

I agree with Ross. Nursing homes and live in rehab centers scare me. You just never know what kind of individual they hire to care for those who cannot care for themselves. I saw some pretty nasty things when Joe was in rehab. I was there probably more than the staff would have wanted. But they are not all the nicey nice people we hope they would be.

And I saw these things when they knew I was right there in the room. They did not happen to Joe, but to his roommate who had had a stroke and whose family weren't there a lot of the time.

God only knows what went on when no one was in the room.

They knew I would rip them a new one if they did anything to Joe.

But that is a double edged sword, because the next time he really needed rehab, they would not accept him as a patient. They are the best in the area :( I can't imagine what the others are like.

Hi Lorraine,

Happy to hear she is home. Her night falls did not sound good for certain. Breaking a hip would not be a 'good thing'. Does she have someone to stay with her at night? Hope so.

We need to catch up real time. Did not look at the weather report...but how does Wed or Thurs sound for lunch in CL? Let me know when you can. Facebook or email.
Hugs.

Happy to hear your sister is home. You never know what they do to patients in hospitals/rehab/nursing homes. I'm only 33, but I have some unexplained scratches on my left arm and chest from my recent procedure.

Hoping your sister continues her path to feeling better!

Debi (debster913)

Thanks for the update and I am glad that your sister is home and that you were able to talk to her and cheer her up over the holidays. She sounds like a fighter and I wish her a continued good recovery.

I want to thank everyone for your inputs about the rehab/nursing homes. I felt the same way. So did my family. I think one of my nieces is trying to look into the treatment of the patients there and what really happen to her Mother. I know when my sister was more alert she had a lot of anger with digesting everything that happen, especially at first. She can be stubborn. That is no excuse for staff to have hurt her, but yes, to them it's just a job. If she mouthed off to them about something they were asking her to do, it's possible they took it out on her during the night. Who would know? It's easy for them to say, she fell out of bed and hurt herself. so I'm glad she is at home too and will be until she has her surgery.

The reason she had to leave rehab and go home, was because of Medicare. I guess after 24 hours she could have gone back in, but she and the family decided she was safer at home, as long as she has constant monitoring from a family member to make sure she's taking her meds and eating the correct food, since she's diabetic now.

So did any of you pursue trying to prove your loved one was hurt by staff in one of those places? If so did it do any good?

Lorraine,

Good to see you post an update ... I was wondering how things were going. Glad to know your sister is home. Thoughts/prayers continuing for you and your family, of course....

Cort | 35swm | "Mr Monte Carlo"."Mr Road Trip" | pig valve.pacemaker ...MidW Blast = 01/17/09
WRMNshowcase.legos.HO.models.MCs.RTs.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort
"Can we see beyond the scars?" ... Chris Daughtry ... 'What About Now?'

Thanks Cort!

I do apologize for not posting sooner. December for the most part had been a blur. Way too busy with work and all. I wanted to be able to post after I could talk to my sister Florence. I'm glad I got that gift on Christmas day. She goes up and down with her emotions but we all know after any surgery that does happen. She has to live a new life style and of course that makes her angry. She's adjusting though. I thank you for the continued thoughts and prayers.

I'm glad to read better news about your sister, Lorraine, and thank goodness she is out of the nursing home!

Thanks Mary,

From what I've been reading here, I'm glad she isn't in the nursing home too. If I didn't have to work, I would make sure I was down there for her next surgery. I can't afford to take off though. :( I know I would be an advocate for my sister more than my family down there has been, only because I do question everything. Probably comes from being a patient in the hospital so many times. I was one that would never take my sleep medication when they wanted to give it to in the evening. I knew they were just trying to get everyone to go to sleep so they wouldn't be bothered. I would take it a couple of hours later.

I have told my nieces and nephew to question everything that the staff do to Florence though. I hope they are doing that.

Thanks Cort!

*nods*

You are welcome!

Lorraine said:
I do apologize for not posting sooner. December for the most part had been a blur. Way too busy with work and all.

NO need to apologize!

I do agree about December being a blur ... most of 2008 was....he he.

Cort | 35swm | "Mr Monte Carlo"."Mr Road Trip" | pig valve.pacemaker ...MidW Blast = 01/17/09
WRMNshowcase.legos.HO.models.MCs.RTs.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort
"And suddenly we're all grown up" ... Alabama ... 'Cheap Seats'

New Update on my sister Florence. We need more prayers.

New Update on my sister Florence. We need more prayers.

My sister Gerri just called. My sister Florence was rushed back to the hospital this morning because she was having trouble breathing. The doctors now say they think she has an Aortic Aneurysm and one of her valves is blocked to her heart. It turns out they did do one of her Carotid arteries last Tuesday, but no one let us know. She was doing fine and went back home. My niece Pam said she was doing great until late last night when she was starting to have trouble breathing again and had pains. I didn't find out yet what tests they did today to come to the conclusion that she has an Aortic aneurysm but I'm a little upset. I mentioned that in my first post here under Prayers for my sister Florence.

I had learned a lot from this site and my diagnosis back then seemd to fit, not that I'm a doctor or anything, but with everyones help I have become more knowledegble about symptoms. I had told my niece Kathy at the time in Novvember, that they should check for Aortic Aneurysm, but I guess no one did.

I will keep everyone posted as I find out more. Unless they do emergency surgery I don't think anything will be done until tomorrow. After all it is the weekend. :( Now my stomach is in knots all over again. I appreciate everyones continued prayers.

My sister Gerri just called. My sister Florence was rushed back to the hospital this morning because she was having trouble breathing. The doctors now say they think she has an Aortic Aneurysm and one of her valves is blocked to her heart. It turns out they did do one of her Carotid arteries last Tuesday, but no one let us know. She was doing fine and went back home. My niece Pam said she was doing great until late last night when she was starting to have trouble breathing again and had pains. I didn't find out yet what tests they did today to come to the conclusion that she has an Aortic aneurysm but I'm a little upset. I mentioned that in my first post here under Prayers for my sister Florence.

I had learned a lot from this site and my diagnosis back then seemd to fit, not that I'm a doctor or anything, but with everyones help I have become more knowledegble about symptoms. I had told my niece Kathy at the time in Novvember, that they should check for Aortic Aneurysm, but I guess no one did.

I will keep everyone posted as I find out more. Unless they do emergency surgery I don't think anything will be done until tomorrow. After all it is the weekend. :( Now my stomach is in knots all over again. I appreciate everyones continued prayers.

Lorraine,i'm sorry all this anxiety in your life........difficult for you
and i will continue all of you in my prayers (HUGS) to all at this moment.

zipper2 (DEB)

Thanks Nacy and Deb!

My question is what do they do for an Aortic Aneurysm? How risky is the operation? That scares me but so does the blocked valve to the heart. I just hope she's strong enough to withstand this. She's 72 years old and will be 73 on Feb 12th. I try to be a very optismistic person but after losing my sister Gladys the end of November I feel like I'm losing my sisters one by one. I know it is inevitable but is really saddens me.

I will know tomorrow of what the doctors are going to do and when. I will keep you posted. thanks for the prayers.

Wow Lorraine. I am so sorry to hear it. Prayers as always GF.

Would suspect the best way to handle it would be VR with intervention of the Aorta at the same time. I have heard of folks addressing the Aorta only to be back for the valve later. Did not read up to see who she is with. I would take her to McCarthy at Northwestern.

Take care...and keep us posted.

Thanks Gina,

My sister Florence is in Huntsville Alabama at the Huntsville Hospital. Thanks on the info on what they should probably do. That would make sense. Now lets see what they doctors do. I should know more later today.

Back