Update on my Dad

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jojofromct

Hi Everyone! Just a quick update, my dad had an ECHO last week, they then called him with the results, there is still the same little leak showing up in the ECHO like last time, they said nothing to worry about and his cardiologist will talk to him about it next week at his checkup. NOTIHNG TO WORRY ABOUT??? HA! We always worry. Then I deciced to look online about this, I guess in some cases people have little leaks after surgery. From what I believe in my Dads case, they can not HEAR the leak but it shows up on the ECHO. He is supposed to go for surgery Dec 3rd for this shoulder replacement, I am a wreck...what else is new, we always get nuts.
Bridging and Lovenox will be used, we just get scared with the Anthesia and his heart and valve. So thats whats new with me. Still NOT smoking...Lost about 15 pounds...We recently had a death in our family, actually TWO deaths, I lost two uncles. So thats been hard.
So, anyone else still have a little leak after surgery? I think some are near the sutures? I know my dad gets out of breath easy because he gained weight but we always think OH NO is that the valve?
TTYL ! JoJo

Good to hear from you JoJo. Your dad will be in my prayers, as he goes in to surgery for his shoulder. Doctors have to get clearance for his shoulder surgery from the heart docs. They would not clear him if they did not feel it was safe.

You and your family have my sympathy for your uncles.

Glad to hear you are still not smoking and lost 15 pounds to boot:) That is great. Take care and keep us updated.

What are you going to do when dad gets pregnant? Now that's when you need to freak out. :D

JoJo, we all know that your Dad is a fighter, have faith in him and his surgery. :)
BTW, I brought up your name in a thread a few days ago....it was in regards to your challenge to quit smoking.
I'm so GLAD for you that you have kept on track. Great stuff.

Jo Jo:

If you're talking about a leak around the valve, that's not unusual. My valve is mechanical, but people with tissue valves also have leaks.

I have a perivalvular leak (leak around where the valve was sewn in). I've had 2 TEEs since my surgery, will probably have periodic TEEs the rest of my life to see if the leak is stable.

I'm not worried about my leak. However, I beg for 1st floor rooms at hotels w/out elevators -- I am NOT going to tote my luggage and/or cat carriers by hand upstairs! Luckily, some male passenger usually offers to hoist my carry-on luggage to the overhead when I fly. (I've been really surprised at the offers. I've never asked for the help, and I always thank the person profusely.)
I'm not sure if I really need to do the above, will probably ask my cardio next month when I see him.

A little leak after surgery? YES. I did and do. I had a tricuspid bovine
replcaement (2/4/08). The leak began as mild but is now moderate,I
do not know why but it is a valvular leak and not a perivalvular,so it is
not the surgeon's fault anyway. I was told as long as it stays in the moderate
range that I shouldn't need surgery again,but I am being monitored via echo every
few months for changes. I have an appt next tuesday,so we will see.
Alot of trace/mild leaks can go without causing any problems whatsoever,
and are even considered with normal limits.
My Best to you and your dad-Dina

* Sorry to hear about your uncles- my favorite uncle has also just died
on halloween night- very sad time.

Love you all! He met with the cardio today, he got the clear for surgery. The little leak is only seen on the ECHO, not a major concern they said. I believe in the cardio. So, his shoulder replacement is set for 12/3. I love you guys. JoJo

Hey everyone, a little nervous today here, Dad is off the Lovenox shots as of last night, tomorrow is his shoulder replacement. I am so nervous for blood clots, anesthesia, and his heart and new valve having this surgery...ugh...he woke up stiff and sore all over this AM. I am so worried...

Careful, Ross will come give you a spanking. :

Seriously, sending prayers for your dad. Hope the shoulder replacement goes well. Being of the age when surgeons have their eyes on replacing various parts of me (starting with one or both knees), I know that's no picnic. Keep us posted, JoJo.

Jojo,

You need to breathe hon. I had a hysterectomy a month ago (geez was it that long ago?), and I was basically below 2.0 for at least 2 weeks. I did have Lovenox coverage for some of that time, but not all.

Your dad had aortic valve replacement...that's the high pressure side, he'll be fine! He stopped the Lovenox yesterday right? Hopefully they'll start him back up on his coumadin by tomorrow. I'm hoping that there's not lovenox at all post surgery...my experience tells me that it's much more dangerous as far as bleeding than being below 2.0 is for clots. Remember, there are stories about people in undeveloped countries being given mechanical aortic valves and living for many years without anti-coagulation coverage (not that I'm advocating that!!!!) Just relax...clotting really isn't the problem right now. He'll be fine.

Now I'm going to say something to you that I tell my kids..."Is this something over which you have any control? If not, then there's no use worrying, just pray for the best outcome, and put it in God's hands."

Hi Jo Jo,

My valve, though mechanical leaks a little, and the tech that did my echo said that is normal. I notice it a little when I sleep on my side at night sometimes.

I am sorry to hear of your famlies loss at this time. Peace be with you and the entire family.

Good luck with you Dad's shoulder surgery and I'm sorry about your uncles. I lost one of my favorites over a year ago and I still can get down about it. Miss him terribly. It is the circle of life unfortunately.

Someone once told me that worry is a worthless pre-occupation with the future - so stop it! Que sera sera is another one.

From one worry wart to another....:)

Rhena

P.S. And on the no smoking thing! Yeah for you and you lost weight too! Unheard of!

Dads surgery went good. His INR is low 1.04. I was so scared. But he is getting 50 mgs and now he is also back on his coumidin too. He was bridging 100 on lovenox prior to surgery. I am upset his Inr is so low. But the coumidin will kick in and tommorow will have inr done again. He is in good spirits and eating. His shoulder pain will start soon as his nerve infusion will be stopping soon. He does feel weak as well.

Good news, Jojo. I will pray for your dad's smooth recovery.

As for the leak question asked in your first thread above, I have a mechanical valve and I have a leak in the mitral position and neither the surgeon nor the cardio is worried about it. I am not sure what your dad's valve is, but in the St. Jude case, the leak is considered as a side effect and in the newer valves (as in my case), according to my surgeon, the valve is designed to leak on purpose to 'wash away' any blood away.

Congratulations for staying smoke free and losing weight.:)

Latest posts

Back