Ugly puffy scar

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michelle D

Hi guys, its been a while. Thanksgiving kept me busy and I actually feel normal now. Believe it or not the PVC s stopped. After recording around 36,000 per day on my holter to almost none in a few weeks. Truly UNBELIEVABLE, I just can't get over it, I want to run through the streets making everyone aware that my heart is beating normally. Anyways I went to my PCP yesterday and everything is great but I showed him my scar and he said "oh...you are a keloid former, sorry" Yeah, sorry, he said nothing can really be done about it. So I've got a big puffy pink scar and it seems from what I've read if it is really a keliod like he said I'm stuck with it.

That is great news about the PVC's, Michelle!

I too was forming a keloid scar early on. I did see a dermatologist and have been getting some 'laser' treatments for the scar. I was also told to wear a mepiform patch at least 12 hours every day and do it for a year! You can buy them over the counter. Apparently, the patch works better than the gel. MY scar is a little better but not nearly close to what I was hoping it would be after a year. However, I know things could be worse. ;)

Last edited:
Defintely go see your dermatologist. I asked mine about what they can do for scars since I"m getting one next year. He said after it is fully healed, they have a cream or a patch (can't remember) that works better than Mederma. He also said laser is very effective to make it look bettter.

Also- this blog gives a very thorough overview of your options to try.
http://www.squidoo.com/heart-surgery-scars

Last edited:
I was recommended Vitamin E oil, probably what is in the patch and/ or cream!

They do lighten and go down after a while, but the scar will always be there! Think of it as a battle scar, and you lived to tell the tale!

Congrats on that "new heart" feeling! We've all been there - me, for 10 years and counting!

I used Mederma after my MVR, and got great results after 12 months, except for the bottom 1.5 inches of the scar, under my bra area, which was rather keliod.
After my August AVR, that same area got irritated from my bra, and started to go keloid again. So I'm using the silicone patch during the day, with vit-E oil at night, on the bottom part of my scar. The patch certainly helps prevent irritation from the bra, and I think after 10 days I'm starting to see a difference in the scar itself.
Now that winter is here and I won't be wearing scoop necked tops, I'm going to put the strip on the entire scar and see how it goes. I really hope to get this scar back to the pretty one I had after MVR but before AVR.

I wish I could upload a picture but the bottom inch is thin but raised, its like pink yarn then the middle two inches is already pretty much invisible its looks like my old cat scratch scar, then the top is wide, raised, and angry looking. It's like I've got a catepillar living in there. So I don't want to wear low cut tops anymore because all you notice is the top part which looks like something worse than a scar. I've been using kelocote for three months, it has not helped at all.

I really think it probably will go away a little in time Michelle. However; I visited my dermatologist and had the cortisone shot protocol which 'leveled' everything out, but boy do they sting! I also bought a patch online from http://www.rejuveness.com/Scar-Info-Terms-c36.html which really helped with the itching! There are probably better products available now though since this was 11 years ago now.

I really think it probably will go away a little in time Michelle. However; I visited my dermatologist and had the cortisone shot protocol which 'leveled' everything out, but boy do they sting! I also bought a patch online from http://www.rejuveness.com/Scar-Info-Terms-c36.html which really helped with the itching! There are probably better products available now though since this was 11 years ago now.

I really have to agree with Janie and for the time WEAR IT WITH PRIDE AND REMENBER FREE ADMISSION TO ALL THE ZIPPER CLUB FUNCTIONS

I know I can't believe the PVCs stopped. Once in a while I'll have a short lived bout of mild tachycardia probably atrial flutter, and sometimes things will trigger the PVCs like the hot chocolate I had yesterday or when I get fed up and take an anti-histamine, but now they always have a reason. I don't know what happened but I am cautiously hopeful that things stay this way.

I'm glad you are doing much better now, Michelle. And I would not really dwell too much on what the scar looks like right now because I do think it will fade in time.

Even with me, that they've gone in three times using the same scar as a reference, the scar is very dim now. They have always taken care that they cut exactly at the same point so you'd never know by looking at it, that it's been an entry multiple times!!

Stay well!

Latest posts

Back