Two weeks post op today! :)

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BAVD John

Well has much as I would like to say that I'm 100% those of you that have made it to this side of the mountain know that just isn't the case. With that being said I arrived home from the hospital last Thursday. I think my family was both happy and nervous to bring me home. Those first few days at home were difficult. I needed more help than I thought just getting in and out of bed and moving about the house. Fast forward to these past few days and much has changed. Getting in and out of bed is no problem, and moving about the home has become easier as well. Unfortunately or forutnately the only way to get around my home is by the use of stairs. They have become easier to negotiate these past few days as well.

I'm feeling stronger every day and had the opportunity to walk around the block twice yesterday. Something I wouldn't have tried last Friday. I'm still coughing but no longer need to cluch the heart pillow to my chest. I have some minor chest discomfort from the incision or the chest mending itself. All the wounds from the chest tubes are healing nicely. Life is good and I hope to increase my activity level these next few weeks. I don't post here much but have read a lot of post over the past few years and your words of encouragement to other has helped me deal with my condition.

Good for you! I love it that you are realistic about your condition. Very few of us are running marathons 2 weeks out of the hospital, but every week gets a little better.

Make haste slowly. Take your pain meds as needed, eat, and get lots of rest.

Before my surgery, wen I read the booklet the hospital gave me, I was shocked to see in big letters:
REMEMBER, IT WILL BE 4-6 WEEKS BEFORE YOU START TO FEEL BETTER.

I thought - how can this be true? But it was, and now I am 7 months out of surgery and I feel wonderful and still feel better every week.
Hang in, take it slowly, and congratulations on your progress,

Dale

Take it at your own pace, don't push it too much, or you could slide back.

I am sorry, but I was one of those "exceptional" super-fast-healers, apart from the sternum thing - you are beating me there ! I think it was about 3 months before I was weaned off my pillow!

Glad to hear you are doing so well. Keep up the good work but be careful not to overdo it. Best wishes.

Thanks for all the responses. Tbone, I have a wife, 3 daughters and a son. My kids are between the ages of 18 and 24. I can assure you my wife and kids are keeping an eye on dad to make sure he doesn't overdue anything. I don't think I have even poured from a gallon of milk. I will be happy with slow and ever increasing progress.

kschul,

To answer your question, "Did they do a mini-sternotomy?" Well yes and no. My replacement was a sucess with the "mini", unfortunately my body had other plans. I went back into surgery about 3 in the afternoon due to some internal bleeding. I stayed in surgery recovery until about 7pm when I was moved to ICU, later in the evening my ICU nurse notice that through one of my drains that I was bleeding some more. So back to the OR I went at about 11 pm. My wife had just turned in at the Fairfield Inn just around the corner when she got the call. Unfortunately, that last surgery just about did her in. From what I understand I recieved 7 units of blood during those 2 extra surgeries. I never came to during the day on Tuesday and awoke about noon on Wednesday when they removed the breathing tube. So I guess my mini turned into a full as I have a full length incision, however, I don't know if my sternum was split open during the extra unplaned surgeries.

I think my recovery is going well. I walked around the block twice again today at a bit faster pace than yesterday. Now how long does this chest discomfort last? As of yesterday I was able to get rid of the heart pillow when I cough.

So glad to hear how great you are doing. I'm sorry that you had to go back to the OR. I can only imagine how hard that would be for you and for your family. As far as the chest soreness, at 2 weeks I was able to cut back on pain meds but still needed some. At almost 6 weeks I'm off of pain meds but still have some soreness especially after being more active. There is a huge difference between 2 weeks and 5 weeks as far as discomfort goes. At this point it's minor and advil takes care of it just fine. Wishing you a smooth recovery.

hi there John, I'm also 2 weeks post op (as of today), I think one thing that is helping me get better is more frequent walks. I make sure to go for a walk every couple of hours, even if it's just to get to my feet and walk around the block one time. The Dr. recommended this, and I found that while it's difficult to get started, once I'm on my feet I like how I'm starting to feel. I would encourage you to take more frequent walks as you are starting to feel better. It's great to hear that you are doing well!

Hey Alex,

Thanks for the advice on walking. I did make it around the block 3 times today for the first time. I would have tried it earlier but it's just been hot and humid here in Chicago. Not good walking weather for folks like us and our condition. I hope to get out more these next few days as the weather forecast is more favorable for walking.

that's great John. I even count it as a walk when I just get up and walk up the stairs and go get a different book or something! I hear you about Chicago. I was born there and my family moved when I was 3 so they tell me about it all the time. Living in Portland, OR now which is much better for the heat. It is 90's this week, but humidity is low and I live at the edge of a forest so most of my walking is around the 150 ft tall douglas fir trees that provide TONS of shade. I also have noticed that the dog is loving me home and walking with it every couple of hours.

i am 2 and 1/2 months out of surgery and i still get twinges of discomfort. but mine is mainly from returning to work and using the muscles in my chest more from lifting parts to inspect them. i was concerned about getting rid of my pillow in bed for a while as the husband tosses and turns and throws his arms around alot at night but eventually came to a point that i was only using it as piece of mind and finally got rid of it one night and haven't used it since. there are still things that worry me at times atleast now since i am back at work and every once in a while the muscle in my chest act up and i make myself go sit down and rest for a bit. don't know if that is just me being over-cautious but i don't want to go backwards so i try to take things easy if i can.

great that you are having such a wonderful recovery and things will keep improving week by week.

Latest posts

Back