Trouble sleeping because of worry

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChicagoMammy

Hi all

I'm sure many others have similar problems. I go through phases (usually days or weeks) at a time where I find it very hard to fall asleep worrying about my heart. It doesn't happen very frequently - usually when I've had a cardio appointment that didn't go as well as hoped or I've been having more palpitations etc. I've had three such phases since last September and I'm fed up with it.

I worry I won't wake up, I'll die before my kids are out of school, etc.

What helps you wind down or calm yourself down at night when your mind goes into cardiac overdrive?

Last edited:
well they only thing I can say is that I am sure we all have times when we worry about something ... My surgery was in 2005 so my worries for the most part are not heart related but everyday stuff ... I don't want to make simple of worries but you know as well as I do worry changes nothing ... try and let it go ...good luck!

I get this. Nothing helped. Then just these last two weeks I've got Lorazepam from my doctor to take occasionally which helps enormously with both the anxiety and sleep...I didn't know that I would sleep so much better the day I took Lorazepam. Only problem is that you can't take Lorazepam too much so it's not a long term solution, just for occasionally.

I think the first year is hard. We really have a mental and emotional adjustment to make after surgery.

But yes, anti-anxiety meds may help.

My husband sure wished I had some after my first surgery, and demanded I get some when we scheduled the second one.
I <3 Xanax (only half kidding).

I understand your problem sleeping... I have been dealing with insomnia, since I got hypothyroidism and tinnitus in one ear....and the heart issues, I am sure just added to the problem. I have found, turning off all lights, listening to soft music (via an IPOD) no caffeine after 6pm and doing some meditation in the evening to relax, is helpful. Unfortunately for me, Ambien ,left me forgetting driving places in the middle of the night and Lunesta never worked. After you take a sleeper for more than a month or so, you body builds up a resistance to it anyway. Sometimes, on the worst nights will take 50mg of Benadryl.
Best of luck with this issue.....take some deep breaths, think positive and relax........tomorrow always brings the chance of a better day. God Bless.
Renee

I have always struggled with insomnia regardless of how my heart was doing and the only thing that helped without taking drugs is going through it for a couple of nights. Eventually I got tired enough that I would be able to sleep. Since my last surgery I have had an issue with my heart pounding, especially when I lay down. The combination of that and insomnia was keeping me up all night. I did end up asking my doctor for some Ambien and that really helped. As time goes by either my heart is pounding less or I am learning to tune it out so I rarely take it anymore. You didn't say if you have already had surgery or not, so if it is pre-surgery worry I think we have all gone through that. Regardless if not being able to get to sleep due to worry is affecting your life in a negative way it is OK to ask for something to help you get to sleep...just don't use it as a crutch. I have had anxiety problems for years so I have used both drugs and counseling to help.

What helps you wind down or calm yourself down at night when your mind goes into cardiac overdrive?

Writing

Watching TV (comedies, preferably)

Planning road trips/gatherings

Visiting message boards

DRIVING!

Course, though, my inability to sleep isn't due to just worrying about my heart.... *sighs*

Cort | 37.m.IL.pigValve.pacemaker | 5 Monte Carlos + 1 Caprice Classic | * meet_10.15.11_Volo.IL *
MCs.CC + CHD.models.HO.legos.RadioShows + RoadTrips.us66 = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort
"Don't tell me that it can't be done" __ Lorrie Morgan __ 'Watch Me'

Hi

Hmmmm, Cardiac overdrive keeping you awake? "Ve can feex sat"! Stay up all night, get up bagged, have a full day and the next night you will be sleeping like a newborn. I've worked night shift from 1979 to present. You can eat, watch the tube or read a boring book, BUT: The thoughts keep switching you brain back on, you are in a full on debate with the, "inner voice", [I really hate that persistent nagging voice living in my head]. When the insomnia bug takes hold their ain't nuthin you can do. From my experience of flipping my body back and forth around the 24 hour clock, when your tired, you WILL sleep. All you can do is persevere. Know this that right around 04:00 hours, the Melatonin will peek and oh yea, you will sleep! Then the alarm goes off at 04:30 cause you are on shift in 30 minutes! Oh life can be cruel. Hang in their OK?! We ALL as adults living as life long heart patients or simply going through the "Drill of life" experience sleeplessness. Lets be thankful we live in the G8!

I have tried quite a few times to sleep without an aid of some sort (Ambien or Benadryl) with no luck since my surgery. Every weekend I attempt it, and about midnight or 1 AM I end up taking something to turn off my brain. During the week I take an Ambien to fall asleep pre-emptively, as I am back to work full time and need to have my sleep. I am hopeful that when I get off of metoprolol and lexapro (both of which have insomnia as one of the side effects) I will be able to forego this. I hope your situation gets better, but it is manageable with medicines.

Laying in bed worrying is the worst, I know what you mean. I had the worst time sleeping for months after my surgery, mostly because of heart palps I'd worry would turn into something worse. My doctor put me on a low dose of zoloft. In a very low dose it doesn't have really any side effects but it will stop you from being hyper aware of your body. I was very suprised how well it worked after only a week when I was used to the big guns (xanax, ativan, etc.) I thought if those didn't help nothing would. Also Ambien helped me a little, not the extended release but the regular kind that gets you to sleep. Zoloft was a huge turning point for me. In a little more than a week I went from thinking I'd die every night to going to sleep and not really thinking about my heart acting crazy. Also zoloft is easier to get off of than many of the other SSRI's. My cardiologist always told me that stress was the worst thing for my heart and if you believe that then you should talk to your doctor to figure out what can be done to cut your stress.

I'm new to the forum and forgive me and feel free to rip me a new one if this is outta line, but one solid crown royal & 7up on ice in the evening on occasion does the trick for me, mixed about 25 to 30% crown. I'm not sure if alchohol is bad for post surgery or certain forum members, please let me know if it is, but I assume in small amounts 2-4 drinks a week, it's no big deal.

I was born with BAV and had baloon surgery when I was 10, the last time I saw a Dr. was when I was 11. I am 32 now and the anxiety is building, so far I have only seen a General Physician who has refered me straight to a surgeon. still trying to find a good cardiologist that isn't backed up till 2012. needless to say that since I have decided to start acknowledging my problem and it has come to light through test my results, I think my anxiety and mind have caused me to develop some false symptoms. I can really notice my heart beat in bed and usually sleep on the couch now, I feel & notice little pains here and there through out my chest and it sometimes has this tight, pressured feeling (only when I'm thinking about it) sleeping is impossible if I'm thinking about surgery. My cousin just died during a long drawn out complicated heart surgery a few months ago, he was only 12. The though of never waking up again crosses my mind every time I hit the pillow.

I'm a big comedy fan so after the wife and kids hit the sack I usually find a few stand up comedies on netflix to watch while I enjoy a drink. this usually eases my mind and puts a smile on my face to sleep with.

I was so scared that I had trouble sleeping for the month proceeding surgery. off and on during my 12 weeks off I have had periods of Insomnia. My surgeon said that I may have some Insomnia and that is part of why he told me that I need to take 12 weeks off and no less. I don't think I could have worked at 6 weeks, sleep, feeling down and then getting Atrial Flutter took the wind out of my sails about half way through this recovery period. I like benadryl, just half of one tablet can work and not leave you drugged. Ativan and Alcohol can have a bounce back effect of causing feelings of depression and dependancy for those of us who have those addictive tendencies. It is amazing how well some antidepressants can work for sleep. I hear this passes, hope so, but I am soooo tired from working today that I am stalling bed for alittle while and then I am going to crash. It sounds too easy to tell you to relax, but try to trust inthe process of your bodys recovery. I am grateful for this forum to hear about others getting better.

Latest posts

Back