Transcatheter valve replacement

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cbdheartman

Folks,

I think someone may have touched on this before. If they perfect the transcatheter valve replacement being developed, do they believe that they be able to replace the AV in someone who has had a previous OHS to repair an aneurysm with either a valve sparing surgery or tissue valve replacement? Does anyone know? Or will the surgery only be for first time surgeries or those who only had the valve replaced?

Thanks,

CBD

Last edited:
Folks,

I think someone may have touched on this before. If they perfect the transcatheter valve replacement being developed, do they believe that they be able to replace the AV in someone who has had a previous OHS to repair an aneurysm with either a valve sparing surgery or tissue valve replacement? Does anyone know? Or will the surgery only be for first time surgeries or those who only had the valve replaced?

Thanks,

CBD

I think you are asking questions that don't have an answer......try a psychic.:D

I think you are asking questions that don't have an answer......try a psychic.:D

Really? I would have thought that they have answers to whether or not they can do this on a post-OHS for an aneurysm. I saw something saying it can be done on someone who has had a previous OHS, so I am just wondering if they have attempted and succeeded on folks who have a Dacron graft.

Obviously, we don't know if they will ever perfect this surgery, that would require a psychic, but whether they will be able to attempt or have attempted it on someone whose had a Dacron repair for an aneurysm seems to be something that can be answered.

As it stands now, trans cath replacement is only being used on patients that cannot undergo major surgery again. As for someone with a graft, I'm not aware of any cases of it being tried, but maybe someone here has some info.

I had seen an article on a surgeon who had done a valve replacement this way but for a tricuspid valve. I, too, was like you and frantically searching for every opinion I could find. He told me that I would not be a canidate for it because I had my native valve in place and this boy he was doing it on already had a tissue valve in place. I posted a link to that article a long time ago on here. I think the Dr.'s name was Evan Zahn in Miami. I do hold out hope that this will be available to me when I next need my valve replaced.

When I was at the Mayo clinic this week, I was talking about it with a nurse practictioner who told me that they were participating in an aortic valve study right now to replace them this way. She didn't know the specifics to share with me.

Kim

I'm not getting this cath heart valve replacement. If stitching the valve in is the most important thing, and having a surgeon who is an artist in the stitching dept is what you want, how is it done with no stitching at all? What holds it in place, just the tightness? No thanks!

I do not know about the AVR, but pulomonary trials are being done on people/mainly kids) that already have dacron conduits and tissue valves. The valves are attatched to stents and they work alot like regular stents.

Latest posts

Back